2012 NEAT Fair, Downsville, NY Sept 13-16 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jul 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
coreman, be sure to razz your buddy that was selling your Yaks at Warbirds over Delaware about mixing up the 350 and 500mah batteries.

I did grab one in a moment of "what the hell", primarily to put up a plane well away from electric mayhem and work on my use of rudder in primary flight. Got tired of waiting until I could get the spare time at home to replace some pushrods and do some truss work on some older EPP planes. Very nicely put together, slight premium but fun plane. I like your plane

Now as to NEAT Fair.

I'm strongly laying out my tactics to come up to NEAT Fair this season, which will be my first. Thing is, I get less static if I bring my wife and kids along, they're 4 and 7. My wife and 7 year old are slightly interested in planes, but only have about 40 minutes of Phoenix and 6 minutes of time on my Champ between them.

So then the question becomes, what is there to do at the campground or in the area if the family was not totally absorbed in the flying and the intricacies of the various planes? Guys at Delaware said the area is great for fishing, not a fishing family. Looking at websites it appears hiking, horseback riding, tubing and swimming are the main attractions to the portions of my family not bitten by the rc plane bug.

Cabins all long gone, wonder if I can get them enthusiastic about tent camping.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
coreman, be sure to razz your buddy that was selling your Yaks at Warbirds over Delaware about mixing up the 350 and 500mah batteries.

I did grab one in a moment of "what the hell", primarily to put up a plane well away from electric mayhem and work on my use of rudder in primary flight. Got tired of waiting until I could get the spare time at home to replace some pushrods and do some truss work on some older EPP planes. Very nicely put together, slight premium but fun plane. I like your plane
Glad you liked the plane. I did hear about the battery mix up when I helped him unpack yesterday. That is the problem with them all coming in the same size box with just the little label on the front. I wondered who mentioned "coreman" to him. he's not on the forums so he was confused but figured it out and asked me. I felt bad about it as he sold 6 of mine and only one of his kits. His Florida trip after fell through so I didn't need to drive down to swap cars with him. Which color did you pick up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
Now as to NEAT Fair.

I'm strongly laying out my tactics to come up to NEAT Fair this season, which will be my first. Thing is, I get less static if I bring my wife and kids along, they're 4 and 7. My wife and 7 year old are slightly interested in planes, but only have about 40 minutes of Phoenix and 6 minutes of time on my Champ between them.

So then the question becomes, what is there to do at the campground or in the area if the family was not totally absorbed in the flying and the intricacies of the various planes? Guys at Delaware said the area is great for fishing, not a fishing family. Looking at websites it appears hiking, horseback riding, tubing and swimming are the main attractions to the portions of my family not bitten by the rc plane bug.

Cabins all long gone, wonder if I can get them enthusiastic about tent camping.
yeah, Tom's link is a great place to start. One thing I will mention that could be an issue is anything with internet/cellphone connectivity shouldn't be planned on. You can sometimes get a couple of text messages in and out but the valley is pretty much a "no service" zone. Every once in a while you will get the stars aligned and get a blast of messages but on the field things are pretty isolated 95% of the time. I'll be on vendor row with an RV (the cabins were gone when I checked in April) so definitely wander by

Jim
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Jul 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
I caught on pretty quickly that he wasn't an RCG member when he looked puzzled about coreman. Surprised me, I've gotten used to so much of the community also having a presence here it seems the ones who don't are more uncommon. I got the purple one. I feel bad for him on the kit thing, but I don't have the time or the skill to build most kits let alone something that size. I suspect that's an issue across the hobby as younger generations get in, arfs may seem a quicker return on time invested.

I saw that list of attractions for NEAT, missed the cave the first time through, might hook the 4 year old on that. Good tip on the cell service.

Hmm actually an RV would be perfect, does anyone have any recommendations for a source to rent one for the weekend? Anywhere from central NJ to the fair would work. That way I could maintain onsite convenience, keep the main vehicle accessible so the family can run around as needed.

If I do attend I really want to try and remain onsite, Delaware looked like it was getting really fun as the night flying got really underway (though the bugs were feasting) and I had to head out. Unlikely to ever make SEFF but NEAT should be in range.
Jul 16, 2012, 12:51 PM
Kit Manufacturer
I sent 11 down, purple, green and orange sold out. I just went to RV America for the rental. Found them through google. i would call and make sure they have campsites still available. I got it specifically to be on site for the night flying. plus it keeps the family happy to be able to go hide at times. yeah, SEFF and Joe Nall look like fun. not sure I can deal with 1000 registered pilots. My buddy went to Nall this year for the full week. We did ok at the Rally of the Giants (Binghamton NY) a few weeks back also. NEAT is my biggie. I should be there thursday. I should also have enough help to be able to get in some flights as well. I'm really psyched for it. Can't wait!
Jul 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
Carolynn has already picked out what she will wear for the Bathrobe, PJ and Toga fly!
Hey Pete,

I don't know if I mentioned it but a bunch of us JCSF guys are shifting our travel plans and we'll be arriving Monday afternoon this year. That'll give us an extra day of open flying before the big top shows up on Tuesday

BTW is Greg making the trek out to Downsville this year?

Looking foward to catching up with you guys! How are the puppies doing?

Rob
Jul 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangrob
Hey Pete,

I don't know if I mentioned it but a bunch of us JCSF guys are shifting our travel plans and we'll be arriving Monday afternoon this year. That'll give us an extra day of open flying before the big top shows up on Tuesday

BTW is Greg making the trek out to Downsville this year?

Looking foward to catching up with you guys! How are the puppies doing?

Rob
Cool we plan to arrive Monday too. Greg and Lori are planning on coming in their new Class A.

Dogs are doing great. G'kar is getting old but hanging in there strong!

Pete
Jul 18, 2012, 04:30 PM

Who did Tom tick off?

Ok Tom- who did you upset? I only see 10 vendors on your list, on the site- did you upset the others? Just checking-

or do they know something we don't? Is global warming turning Sept into monsoon season in New York? I hope not.......

Diane
Lazertoyz
Jul 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane@lazertoyz
Ok Tom- who did you upset? I only see 10 vendors on your list, on the site- did you upset the others? Just checking-

or do they know something we don't? Is global warming turning Sept into monsoon season in New York? I hope not.......

Diane
Lazertoyz
They are signed up... they don't get on the list until they pay! so far all the "regulars" will be there.
Jul 19, 2012, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
they don't get on the list until they pay!
Picky Picky Picky
Jul 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
ok cool! we keep telling the Ohio guy,s what vendors are usually there- trying to convince them to come out and have fun!
but maybe we will just as well enjoy the New York folks - if they don't want to make the trek.
see everyone soon!
Diane
Jul 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
Dianne,
how could you think anyone could ever be mad at Tom Hunt?????? he's the squishiest loveable lil' teddy bear there ever was!!!!
Jul 19, 2012, 05:23 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012
Dianne,
how could you think anyone could ever be mad at Tom Hunt?????? he's the squishiest loveable lil' teddy bear there ever was!!!!
Not a scale guy, are you?
Jul 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
lol!!!!!
Jul 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
Tom does have the most easy going personality there is- at times I am surprised people just don't walk all over him-
........................ OK back to reality- .............
Seriously if he didn't have the attitude he does this top notch event would never happen, it definitely is one of the best events because he is a no nonsense guy in regards to it. And his crew is also top shelf. All they do is very appreciated.
Diane
Lazertoyz