Help finding an article on UAS integration into the NAS
Hate to do it but I need help finding information on the AMA's exclusion for "model airplanes" under the looming FAA regulations. I've spent several hours trying to find it and am about to throw my hands in the air and let some expletives fly. I'm writing a term paper for college (yes, at 51!) and my thesis is on the integration of UASs into the NAS and the struggles "us little guys" are facing. Does anyone have a link to an article? (Pretty please?)
SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
Taken from H.R.658
Actually that's the first time I have read that bill.
Subtitle B—Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Sec. 331. Definitions.
Sec. 332. Integration of civil unmanned aircraft systems into national airspace system.
Sec. 333. Special rules for certain unmanned aircraft systems.
Sec. 334. Public unmanned aircraft systems.
Sec. 335. Safety studies.
Sec. 336. Special rule for model aircraft.
That entire subsection seems pretty interesting!
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Help finding an RC for son||penguin8||Ornithopters||14||Apr 15, 2012 05:05 PM|
|Discussion||help me find an alternative for 18-11 10g motor||StewieRC||Power Systems||6||Apr 15, 2012 10:54 AM|
|Discussion||help me find an alternative for 18-11 10g motor||StewieRC||Electric Plane Talk||7||Apr 15, 2012 01:23 AM|
|Discussion||Need help finding an old childhood hobby||H3dgie||Free Flight||8||Oct 20, 2011 11:54 PM|
|Help!||Need Help Finding an Edge 540 or Extra 300 Electric Ready ARF Kit||Wornpiston||Electric Plane Talk||24||Sep 25, 2011 11:03 AM|