Oct 31, 2003, 08:42 AM

Pushy Cat Has Flown

Hi Guys,

Pushy Cat has been sitting finished for three weeks waiting to fly, what with bad weather and other commitments I,ve been unable to fly. Well the forecast for tomorrow is looking reasonable, so I hope to fly in the morning.

Gordon will be on camera and Chris Golds offered to do the first flight hand-launch.

I will let you know how things go for better or worse, and Gordon can hopefully get some shots for us all to see. I know Gordon wants to try and do some video clips which he can run on his digi still camera.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pushy Cat has Flown and How

Just got back from the airfield guys having flown three trips with the Pushy Cat and all I can say is WOW, I,m still on a high, I havnt got much time at the moment, I,ve got to dash but I will fill you in on details later. Conditions were not ideal, windy and bumpy air but it didnt even notice, very fast and stable with amazing climb rate. I will explain more later.

Cheers

Ron
Last edited by Ron Laden; Nov 01, 2003 at 06:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2003, 09:11 AM

Chocks away !!

All the the very best of luck with it Ron......it looks a very pretty aeroplane..........

Ray
Nov 01, 2003, 04:15 AM
smug in granny panties
Awesome, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Barry
Nov 01, 2003, 06:58 AM

Pushy Cat has flown

Pushy Cat has flown, see below.

Cheers
Ron
Last edited by Ron Laden; Nov 02, 2003 at 02:37 AM.
Nov 01, 2003, 09:19 AM
Hi guys,

Pushy Cat flies great, the conditions were not that great but tolerable. Gordon did the first hand launch and we decided that having felt the thrust and with the strong head wind plus a loading of only 16ozs we would launch at about half power. It was obvious it was going to fly from the hand with ease.

It flew level from the launch even on half power, in fact the second launch from Chris Golds it climbed at about 5 degrees and when I throttled up it took me completely by surprise, it climbed away at an amazing rate and it is very fast. Well a lot faster then I,ve been flying of late. I took it up to the stall and it had no vices there, in fact its low speed handling is excellent.

It is very smooth and stable and feels much bigger then it really is. With such performance it is going to be capable of big manouvres. Roll rate is good and about right with the rates I had set and the C of G I calculated seems fine. Its low speed handling makes it easy to land despite the conditions been a bit bumpy.

I flew twice more for the camera and I cant wait for better conditions and really exploring its full reportoire. I will need more air time to get smoother (me not the model) but what with first flight nerves and flying to the camera it was quite hectic.

We took some measurements after flying and on a fresh pack after the first 30 seconds it registered 23 amps 250 watts and a prop speed of 19,400rpm, approx 130 watts per pound.

I must say a big thanks to Matt for recommending the power train, its superb. Also a big thanks to Gordon for all his assistance.

When I can get video of it we will get it posted.

Cheers
Ron
Last edited by Ron Laden; Nov 02, 2003 at 02:32 AM.
Nov 02, 2003, 02:40 AM
Hi Guys, I,ve had an e mail asking if there will be a plan available yes there will be, it will most probably be through one of the Mags. Its real bad weather here today, which is a pity, I just want to get out and fly her again.

Pushy Cats performance has convinced me that I need to get a Mega in the back of the 339.

Cheers
Ron
Nov 02, 2003, 03:39 AM
smug in granny panties
I'm really happy for you Ron, theres nothing better than when you get to see something fly that you toiled and fretted over.

Barry
Nov 02, 2003, 08:40 AM
Pics?
Nov 02, 2003, 12:26 PM
Boy did Pushy Cat go!!!

Ron has glued a ply tongue beneath the wing, faced both sides with wet & dry paper so it's easy to hold the model. I gave it a gentle push on 1/2 power, and it flew away with no loss of height.

Then Ron firewalled the throttle, and the darn thing headed for the clouds like a homesick angel. We thought it would go well, but blimey, the sheer acceleration took our breaths away and it absolutely rocketed upstairs

For the second flight Chris Golds launched and I did camera (35mm stills) and here's hoping they will come out OK. I've been awaiting delivery of a Canon EOS-D10 digital $LR for 5 weeks, so waiting for pics will become a thing of the past when it arrives.

On the 3rd flight I launched again, and we did try to get some video using the video clip function of my compact digital camera, but they're not too good, though I have a 30sec clip that gives some idea of what this supersonic wasp went like, if anyone can host it. The light was bad with dark clouds, but there's a couple of fast fly-bys, one ofwhich nearly knocked my head off, and a loop - the plane is just a dot unfortunately due to the short focus (only 100mm) lens, but you can tell it's a big loop, and that the exit is a heck of a lot higherthan the entry.

It's definitely a great machine, and I'll bet that Ron hasn't stopped grinning yet

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon; Nov 02, 2003 at 12:32 PM.
Nov 02, 2003, 01:32 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
The Reno racer strange looking thingy?

if so I got one too! nice to hear it flies!

waiting for pix

/Henke
Nov 02, 2003, 02:08 PM
My cat up close
Well done Ron!

I knew it would be fast!!

That motor cell prop combo is hard to beat eh?
Expensive performance in a buget power train,can't be much better than that.

My Flanker zooms pretty good,AUW of 30 oz,what's your Pushy Cat weigh in at? Sounds like it is lighter.

Looking forward to the video, pushers are fun aren't they?

Matt
Nov 02, 2003, 02:45 PM
Wof
Wof
If my Mirage does not fly to well guess what conversion will take place ?
Nov 02, 2003, 05:34 PM
Hi Henke

Sorry - wrong P-Cat!!

This is Ron's

Gordon
Nov 03, 2003, 02:08 AM
Hi Guys,

I saw the short video clip from Gordon and must admit I didnt realise I was that low when I flew over is head, sorry Gordon.

Matt The finished weight of Pushy is 27.5 ozs with the
10xCP1300,s you recommended and Gordon is right we are still all recovering from how fast she is. It really is quick, with loads of vertical performance. There was times that I really was hanging on and had to throttle back to get with it. But you know what it is like, new model, nerves and then performance like this.

I love it, I just can,t wait to get out with her again.

Just to summarise details one last time.

All balsa sheet construction, with 1/4 sheet wing.
36 inch span, 1.75 sq feet.
Weight 27.5 ozs and wing loading of 15.71 ozs.
Mega 16/15/4, APC 6x4 prop, Phoenix 35 amp, 10xCP1300
2 x HS55 Micro servo,s Hitec 4 ch Mini Rx
After initial 20-25 seconds when voltage levels off, 23amps
235 watts, 19,400 prop rpm giving approx 135 watts per pound.
The second/third flight indicated that with some use of throttle (including a reasonable amount of full throttle) duration will be around 5, maybe 6 minutes.

Cheers
Ron
Last edited by Ron Laden; Nov 03, 2003 at 03:59 AM.
Nov 03, 2003, 02:52 AM
smug in granny panties
perfect plane perfect setup Ron, good on you

Barry