Thanks much for all the info. & leads 👍
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2016, 03:37 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-56
Thanks much for all the info. & leads 👍
No problem

Here's one I just made from a servo lead and the ebay PH...

Name: UMX_2S_checker-1.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 392.0 KB
Description: Name: UMX_2S_checker-2.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 352.3 KB
Description:
Jun 11, 2016, 05:48 PM
My CC went for a swim today

It was upside down for 2-3 minutes. I was able to remove the water quickly but the battery smelled hot and puffed. One aileron is stuck in the up position and I don't want to force it back into position. It never even lifted off the water. I gave it aileron input instead of rudder to keep it straight and the wing dipped into the water. I'll let it dry out for a few days before I try to get it going.

What are the chances of it flying again?

Jun 11, 2016, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-56
My CC went for a swim today

It was upside down for 2-3 minutes. I was able to remove the water quickly but the battery smelled hot and puffed. One aileron is stuck in the up position and I don't want to force it back into position. It never even lifted off the water. I gave it aileron input instead of rudder to keep it straight and the wing dipped into the water. I'll let it dry out for a few days before I try to get it going.

What are the chances of it flying again?

Chances are probably pretty good, if you pulled the battery straight away and you let it fully dry out for a few days. The servo might not be a real issue either, with it off just roll the big gear to move the wiper arm back near center. It could have fritzed out when it got wet and gone off the track, or it was just in that position when you pulled the battery. Just give it a good long time to dry and a full systems check.
Jun 11, 2016, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Chances are probably pretty good, if you pulled the battery straight away and you let it fully dry out for a few days. The servo might not be a real issue either, with it off just roll the big gear to move the wiper arm back near center. It could have fritzed out when it got wet and gone off the track, or it was just in that position when you pulled the battery. Just give it a good long time to dry and a full systems check.
Good positive news 👍

Thanks...
Jul 03, 2016, 02:00 PM
Sorry if this has been covered but I can't seem to find anything other than flap mix regarding transmitter setup.
My buddy and I both recently purchased one of these and can't find DX9 or DX18 setups, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!!
Matt
Oct 08, 2016, 03:09 PM
Desert Flyer

motor shaft fragile?

I usually fly larger RC airplanes, bought the UMX Carbon Cub SS because it fits better in my car when traveling. But...first flight crash while trying to get the trim set, broken motor shaft and no replacement on hand.
It seems I read somewhere on RC Groups that others had problems with "fragile" motor shaft, and that there was a recommended replacement motor other than the HH original. Hopefully with a more durable motor/shaft/prop adaptor.
I have searched the forums, and this thread but do not find any discussion on replacement motors.
Can anyone steer me to such a discussion? Thanks
Oct 08, 2016, 04:37 PM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
I usually fly larger RC airplanes, bought the UMX Carbon Cub SS because it fits better in my car when traveling. But...first flight crash while trying to get the trim set, broken motor shaft and no replacement on hand.
It seems I read somewhere on RC Groups that others had problems with "fragile" motor shaft, and that there was a recommended replacement motor other than the HH original. Hopefully with a more durable motor/shaft/prop adaptor.
I have searched the forums, and this thread but do not find any discussion on replacement motors.
Can anyone steer me to such a discussion? Thanks
It's the ALUMINUM prop adapter found at SmallPArtsCNC.
Don
Oct 09, 2016, 01:10 AM
Aimin at the ground an missing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgyverxxt
Sorry if this has been covered but I can't seem to find anything other than flap mix regarding transmitter setup.
My buddy and I both recently purchased one of these and can't find DX9 or DX18 setups, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!!
Matt
I think you can pretty much just follow the recommendations in the manual. This plane has such a wide envelope, that every pilot will like it set up a little differently, depending on flying style, and preferred CG. I like this plane with expo, and I like this plane without expo. Depends on the day.

As for the broken prop adapters (I assume you don't mean the actual metal motor shaft.). I always keep a few of these prop adapters on hand for my Carbon Cub, Pitts, and Yak. I don't mind replacing them since their pretty cheap, and they usually save the prop and motor from any damage.
May 29, 2018, 01:50 PM
Flying the Spyder
UMX Cub 2” Bush wheel conversion (1 min 36 sec)
Jul 23, 2018, 11:23 PM
Using glue to fly high...R/C!
Keep this thread going guys, just pick one up used....Wish me luck.
Jul 24, 2018, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willstonesracing
Keep this thread going guys, just pick one up used....Wish me luck.
My best tips for you are to put clear tape on the tail feathers and wing tips before you maiden it and also slow the flap servo down.

Good luck and enjoy.
Jul 27, 2018, 05:09 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder

Motor Swap

Hey UMX Cub fans,

I took my CC out last night for the first time in a very long time, and ran it with the UMX Timber tires. I had flown it a couple times before with the Timby tires, but I gotta say: I was very displeased with the performance hit caused by the weight and more so the drag of the bigger tires. This is my CC from back when they were first introduced. (I have a newer one that I keep on floats)
The motor in my OG Cub sounded terrible also. I was running the GWS 5030 prop on stock 2500 motor. I happen to have a 3000kv motor in my parts box, and a spare 5x2.75 stock prop, so I swapped the motor last night after my flying session.

I just got back from a night flying session at the highschool football stadium with the 3000kv motor. Now THAT's more like it!!! I was only getting about 15 ft of spirited climb with the 2500 motor before it would run out of grunt. With the 3000kv, I can climb near vertical if I want to. Very happy with the setup now. Touch and go's on the astroturf are an absolute joy with the Timby tires. I might have to buy a bunch of airframe parts and put together a few more CCs with various paint schemes while the parts are still around.

Cheers

-CC
Jul 27, 2018, 11:42 AM
The 2500Kv motor works really well on the CC with the UMX Pitts/Yak 5.75x2.5 prop. Lots of thrust, and not a lot of speed so it looks the part of a STOL plane. Only issue is ground clearance, stock landing gear will not work with that combo.

Good deal!
Jul 27, 2018, 05:12 PM
Boost rules!
Yeah, I started with the stock 2500Kv & tried the GWS 5043 & 5030 - but soon switched to the more powerful 2300Kv motor & the UMX Pitts/Yak prop. I also switched to the E-flight Grasshopper 250 wheels, as they were the only option for sort-of-a "tundra tire" way back then.

I'd never switch motors. The 2300Kv motor's superior low-end grunt combined with the Pitts/Yak prop's large prop-disk & stump-puller pitch is just about a perfect match for the CC's airframe. Instead of having to fly with barely any throttle when doing low 'n slow & having hardly any low-end grunt to speak of, due to being on the backside of the motor's power-curve - you can fly low 'n slow with AUTHORITY, because you're propped to accent low-end torque & you're well into the fat, torquey part of the motor's power-curve. Plus - you get the superior braking effect of the larger-diameter/lower-pitch prop on the down-lines, and really long flights to the 80% discharge point. Here are a couple examples:

"Bush flying" the UMX Carbon Cub SS - low & slow, short-field takeoffs, landings, touch & gos (14 min 20 sec)

UMX Carbon Cub in the yard - plus some full scale aerobatics (8 min 49 sec)

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 27, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply