Thread Tools
Aug 28, 2012, 11:11 PM
Registered User
Jam-ehz's Avatar
The overheating seems to come from the servos. I can run the plane at the minimum throttle, wiggle the plane in my hand for 30-40 secs, and it would stop, with the brick blinking 5 times or so. Even disconnected the ailerons and the rods at the rudder and elevator horns same thing. Haven't checked the foam underneath for melting though..

BTW, does the factory paint the body with it already assembled? My motor has spatterings of red dots on its label.. Just wondering..

Either way its going back, holes and all, looking forward to a brand new, working model.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
Registered User
B.C.NEWFIE's Avatar
the flaps didn't go back to their up position I flipped the gear switch up and down nothing then I hear this whining sound and sure enough the pinion gear was off on the servo for the flaps!!!

the exact same thing happened to me! =( i brought the plane right back to my local h.shop and at first this guy said he'll get the "main" guy to take a look at it,. i said no-way! replace whole plane or money back,as i hadn't even flown it,just was testing flaps.needless to say "they" replaced it with a new plane,.. things are great with it so far but i have only flown it twice. i seen on here some where that it may be a good idea to lower "travel %" wich im gunna do once i figure out how lol!still it was like H.H. people didnt even test the plane,as the pinion gear came off like yours,first try?
Aug 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Registered User


Stoked that there is a mod thread for this little guy! Just joined the RC world, glad to see others are modding their CC's.

Out of the box I slapped some bush wheels on, I then got a little carried away with ideas and made some new parts

I made some aileron spades from balsa and a business card, they work and look great! A few other things include adding paint to the spinner and prop tips, also the gear fairings came off on my 2nd flight so I made my own from balsa, painted them red and hot glued them on. I also made an exhaust coming from the bottom of the cowling. Other than the spades everything I modded was just for aesthetics! I have read horror stories about these planes failing, I have had some amazing fun flights with no issues! I'll post a video soon!
Aug 30, 2012, 08:08 PM
Registered User
Anyone mod the tailwheel yet? I want to find a slightly larger tailwheel since I find the stock one too small for soft field ops. It gets hung up a lot or will anchor itself to stuff...
Aug 31, 2012, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.NEWFIE
the flaps didn't go back to their up position I flipped the gear switch up and down nothing then I hear this whining sound and sure enough the pinion gear was off on the servo for the flaps!!!

the exact same thing happened to me! =( i brought the plane right back to my local h.shop and at first this guy said he'll get the "main" guy to take a look at it,. i said no-way! replace whole plane or money back,as i hadn't even flown it,just was testing flaps.needless to say "they" replaced it with a new plane,.. things are great with it so far but i have only flown it twice. i seen on here some where that it may be a good idea to lower "travel %" wich im gunna do once i figure out how lol!still it was like H.H. people didnt even test the plane,as the pinion gear came off like yours,first try?
Her is the parts i used. NO more servo problems and it flies owsome and is way more powerful than stock. Do it Rite or Dont Do It At All. I used the SPMAR6400NBL Board but they now hav the as3x board without the servoes on it available and its what i would recomend. u can even disable the as3x gyro system if u want. Its the AS6410NBL board. Part# (SPMAS6410NBL) Here is a link for it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAS6410NBL

Landing Gear Set: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1103)
Main Wing w/Lights: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1120)
Complete Tail w/Accessories: UMX Carbon Cub
by E-flite (EFLU1125)
Fuselage w/Battery Tray Door: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1167)
Prop Adapter (Long): Ultra-Micro Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1168)
Firewall: UMX Beast
by E-flite (EFLU4066)
BL180 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 3000 Kv
by E-flite (EFLUM180BLB)
AR6400NBL DSM2 6Ch Ultra Micro Rx BL-ESC No Servos
by Spektrum (SPMAR6400NBL)
5 of these servoes
Ultra Nano HS-35HD: Universal
by Hitec RCD Inc. (HRC33035S)
And i fly with a hyperion 320 2s lipo 12 minut flites

Modifide UMX Carbon Cub SS RC Plane Day Flight.MOV (4 min 24 sec)
Aug 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald
Her is the parts i used.
What was the final price tag?
Aug 31, 2012, 09:27 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOstronomer
Anyone mod the tailwheel yet? I want to find a slightly larger tailwheel since I find the stock one too small for soft field ops. It gets hung up a lot or will anchor itself to stuff...
Yes, I used a Night Vapor main wheel and also mounted it to the fuse rather than the rudder. Had to bend the wire slightly to add clearance for the wheel but I'm happy with the results. The NV wheel is about twice the size of the original. I also use 1.5 inch main wheels. Tried to get Grasshopper wheels but my LHS has been unable to get them in the last four or so months.
Aug 31, 2012, 09:33 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOstronomer


Stoked that there is a mod thread for this little guy! Just joined the RC world, glad to see others are modding their CC's.

Out of the box I slapped some bush wheels on, I then got a little carried away with ideas and made some new parts

I made some aileron spades from balsa and a business card, they work and look great! A few other things include adding paint to the spinner and prop tips, also the gear fairings came off on my 2nd flight so I made my own from balsa, painted them red and hot glued them on. I also made an exhaust coming from the bottom of the cowling. Other than the spades everything I modded was just for aesthetics! I have read horror stories about these planes failing, I have had some amazing fun flights with no issues! I'll post a video soon!
nice job! looks good
Sep 01, 2012, 02:25 AM
Registered User
about $270
Sep 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User

Spektrum AS3X Board Without Servoes


I just got the new as3x board without the servoes on it.
PN. SPMAS6410NBL also got the programmer PN. SPMA3060
Should work greate with the hitec servoes and hav much smoother stability.
I will post pics when i take the plane apart so u all can see how i put the hitec servoes in it .
Sep 02, 2012, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Mendo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi Bald
Her is the parts i used. NO more servo problems and it flies owsome and is way more powerful than stock. Do it Rite or Dont Do It At All. I used the SPMAR6400NBL Board but they now hav the as3x board without the servoes on it available and its what i would recomend. u can even disable the as3x gyro system if u want. Its the AS6410NBL board. Part# (SPMAS6410NBL) Here is a link for it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAS6410NBL

Landing Gear Set: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1103)
Main Wing w/Lights: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1120)
Complete Tail w/Accessories: UMX Carbon Cub
by E-flite (EFLU1125)
Fuselage w/Battery Tray Door: UMX Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1167)
Prop Adapter (Long): Ultra-Micro Carbon Cub SS
by E-flite (EFLU1168)
Firewall: UMX Beast
by E-flite (EFLU4066)
BL180 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 3000 Kv
by E-flite (EFLUM180BLB)
AR6400NBL DSM2 6Ch Ultra Micro Rx BL-ESC No Servos
by Spektrum (SPMAR6400NBL)
5 of these servoes
Ultra Nano HS-35HD: Universal
by Hitec RCD Inc. (HRC33035S)
And i fly with a hyperion 320 2s lipo 12 minut flites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXEj0rGutM&feature=plcp

I am sure this has been answered before, but I missed it. So here goes, Does the servoless programmable as3x brick ( as-6410nbl ) work with any non linear servos with as3x activated? For instance the hs35's mentioned above or really any sub 5 gram rotary servo, be it digital or analog? I have been wondering about this for quite some time, and now that the new bricks are finally around can someone fill me in?

Thanks,
Mendo
Sep 02, 2012, 07:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo
I am sure this has been answered before, but I missed it. So here goes, Does the servoless programmable as3x brick ( as-6410nbl ) work with any non linear servos with as3x activated? For instance the hs35's mentioned above or really any sub 5 gram rotary servo, be it digital or analog? I have been wondering about this for quite some time, and now that the new bricks are finally around can someone fill me in?

Thanks,
Mendo
YES. I Tryed difrent servoes even cheap servoes and it worked with all. The cheaper servoes arnt verry smooth thats why i use the hitec 35hd servoes also they will last a long time.
just make sure u wire them rite when u change the conector.
Sep 03, 2012, 12:49 AM
Just a whisper in the wind
Birds of Prey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOstronomer
Anyone mod the tailwheel yet? I want to find a slightly larger tailwheel since I find the stock one too small for soft field ops. It gets hung up a lot or will anchor itself to stuff...
I went with a half inch tail wheel placed about 1/4 in back away from original position. With the bigger main wheels and tail, it can pretty much drive on short grass.
Sep 03, 2012, 02:44 AM
Registered User
Sweet! I am going to my local HS tmrw to see what I can find! And time for another Battery
Sep 03, 2012, 02:48 AM
Registered User
Has anyone used corrosionx


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS fragje Micro Ready-to-Fly 13411 Today 12:09 PM
Article Horizon Hobby E-flite Albatros D.Va 32e ARF Review Michael Heer Electric Warbirds 14 May 21, 2014 11:35 AM
New Product UMX Carbon Cub SS masonjee Electric Plane Talk 10 Mar 14, 2014 01:03 PM
New Product E-flite UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF with floats! Firehawk989 Waterplanes 8 Feb 28, 2012 01:48 AM
Wanted UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF GOOBERSEPTEMBER Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Feb 15, 2012 06:31 PM