Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 07, 2012, 04:24 PM
Discussion

UMX Carbon Cub SS Mod Thread

I didn't see a mod thread dedicated to the new E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS, so I'll start one here.

Although Horizon Hobby did a great job on this model, I still found a few areas I could tweak to tailor it to my liking.

I've added Dubro 1.5" tires to give it that "tundra" look. I also added a little paint to the prop, which looks sweet when spinning (see vid). Lastly, I set the flaps channel to a variable switch on my Tx, so now dialing in a little flaps is as smooth as butter. Gives it a nice "scale" feeling when flying!

Let's see what else ya'll come up with!

UMX Carbon Cub SS - Variable Flaps Mod (0 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
Very nice. Did you just get the tyres or the complete wheels. Have you got the Dubro part number?
May 07, 2012, 05:00 PM
Nice prop and tires. Do you have the dubro product code for those tires? Hope santa mail man are coming with my cub tomorrow.

Martin

Edit: Roblister is a faster writer...
May 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
ISP Supervisor
DUB150MW fellas

I ordered some a while back
May 07, 2012, 05:35 PM
Just ordered a pair too. Looks like they are retained by a push fit clip. I hope its reusable.
May 07, 2012, 05:44 PM
ISP Supervisor
When I put them on my champ I tossed the little black clips and just bent the wire up. Didn't have to worry about a wheel falling off mid flight.
May 07, 2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the part number Makg. Dubro also makes a 1.25" tire, but I found the thickness on them was too skinny. The 1.5" were a better fit, however still not as thick as the stock wheels.

The tires are held on by a push-fit clip, but the clip comes loose after it is removed. I added a drop of CA to hold the clip on.
May 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
The Sweet Aroma of Fuel
nice! I wonder if those tires would allow the Carbon Cub to takeoff and land from short grass?
May 07, 2012, 09:22 PM
If anyone figures out how to add a tail light to the existing wiring, please post!
May 08, 2012, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer
I didn't see a mod thread dedicated to the new E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS, so I'll start one here.

Although Horizon Hobby did a great job on this model, I still found a few areas I could tweak to tailor it to my liking.

I've added Dubro 1.5" tires to give it that "tundra" look. I also added a little paint to the prop, which looks sweet when spinning (see vid). Lastly, I set the flaps channel to a variable switch on my Tx, so now dialing in a little flaps is as smooth as butter. Gives it a nice "scale" feeling when flying!

Let's see what else ya'll come up with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yYWX0tUEM
Nice mods! How did you set the flaps to a variable switch? I guess you have a more advanced radio than DX6i?
May 08, 2012, 08:10 PM
Futaba 9CAP
May 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68
nice! I wonder if those tires would allow the Carbon Cub to takeoff and land from short grass?
I have those tires on a Stevens Aero Swift 100 with the power system from a UMX beast and it will take off from short grass, so it's very possible.
May 08, 2012, 09:02 PM
The Sweet Aroma of Fuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom
I have those tires on a Stevens Aero Swift 100 with the power system from a UMX beast and it will take off from short grass, so it's very possible.
Oh sweet that's awesome! I can hopefully then takeoff from my club field runway if I purchase this plane.
May 09, 2012, 08:49 AM
Nice, looks real good. .

If I get one, I was planning on setting flaps to a dial channel too on my Futaba 9C.

Good stuff.
May 09, 2012, 09:22 AM
I used the mosquito wheels. they are about the same size.
but they have a smaller hub making them look more scale.
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...rodID=PKZU1303