This thread is privately moderated by scruffy1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 05, 2012, 03:50 AM
Firepower
My mate has a Bonsai and it flies great FPV so I just ordered one.

Was thinking of cutting some EPP and adding about two inches in the middle so all the gear fits in good including a larger LiPo.

Anyone tried it like this Swift:

Blunt Swift 2 test (1 min 13 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2012, 07:00 AM
looking up, down under
Thread OP
i would be inclined to notch it up one and get the tek sumo

for an extra $10 you will have a heap more wing to support your payload, and the amount of work required to modify the bonsai will cost more than that in materials, let alone time and experimentation

for a small camera the bonsai is a great platform, but fpv would be pretty pressed for space and wing loading

meantime, i am onto plan b.
Jul 08, 2012, 02:38 AM
looking up, down under
Thread OP

bonsai showing off

i took the camera and mr (almost) 10 back down to the park; this gives you a better idea of what the bonsai can do without the added ballast of a camera on board

bonsai 1 (3 min 42 sec)
Jul 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
Firepower
What you say is logical and good comments but I have a FPV Swift 2 a FPV MiniSwift.

The MiniSwift is flying well FPV with a one gram camera and a two gram video TX. There is a bit extra weight for a small board to reduce the voltage to 3.3volts. My mate has a Bonsai flying really great like 5 feet off the ground continuously and flying under trees around several football fields. So that is quite impressive and as a result I have ordered a Bonsai.

Then thought a couple of extra inches in the middle would be good space wise to fit the gear in without really upgrading the good motor that I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
i would be inclined to notch it up one and get the tek sumo

for an extra $10 you will have a heap more wing to support your payload, and the amount of work required to modify the bonsai will cost more than that in materials, let alone time and experimentation

for a small camera the bonsai is a great platform, but fpv would be pretty pressed for space and wing loading

meantime, i am onto plan b.
Jul 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
looking up, down under
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
The MiniSwift is flying well FPV with a one gram camera and a two gram video TX. There is a bit extra weight for a small board to reduce the voltage to 3.3volts. My mate has a Bonsai flying really great like 5 feet off the ground continuously and flying under trees around several football fields. So that is quite impressive and as a result I have ordered a Bonsai.
if i wanted to go under trees i would buy an r/c car

what fpv gear are you using ?
Jul 17, 2012, 09:34 AM
Embargo lifted.
here's what I am using and it works GREAT. 12A plush, 5 x 43 and a ORange 410rx, 460 3s nanotech, ADH300S Brushless Outrunner 2400kv, a heaviier battery like a 600 3s or even an 800 3s it can handle or you can add a penny or 3 to the front.
It goes straight up at half throttle.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._BEC_BESC.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11882
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10034
Jul 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
looking up, down under
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie
here's what I am using and it works GREAT. 12A plush, 5 x 43 and a ORange 410rx, 460 3s nanotech, ADH300S Brushless Outrunner 2400kv, a heaviier battery like a 600 3s or even an 800 3s it can handle or you can add a penny or 3 to the front.
It goes straight up at half throttle.
beware !

"I ran a 6 x 3 prop on a 3 cell and it pulled a full 20 amps. Cut it down to to around 5 1/4 x 3 and it was down to 14 amps." ... per HK website reviews

so you are a big risk to fry your 12amp esc with that combo

pull out a watts meter and check, or burn baby burn !
Last edited by scruffy1; Jul 18, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Jul 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
Embargo lifted.
I have a wattmeter but haven't hooked it up. You could always use a bigger ESC. I also used the same prop and a smaller esc (8a 10a burst HK) with an even hight KV Motor (the suggested one) and it did fine. The motor burned out, not the esc. Also took it out again today and had it at 3/4 throttle or more for 3-4 mins, came down fine motor only slightly warm and it's 85 degrees out too.
But hey you maybe 100% right. Still I love how it flies.
Last edited by kenstogie; Jul 18, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Aug 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
Andres Lu
I'm not sure if someone already asked this, but do you have to solder anything in order to complete the bonsai? thanks

-joker
Aug 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
Embargo lifted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458
I'm not sure if someone already asked this, but do you have to solder anything in order to complete the bonsai? thanks

-joker
Yes you would need to solder the esc to the motor and possibly the battery connector to the esc usually mini jst i think they call them.

...............I will say that if you are asking the question "do I need to solder to complete the bonsai you may be a newer pilot (though I could be 100% wrong) and the Bonsai is more of an intermediate plane.
Aug 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
Andres Lu
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie
Yes you would need to solder the esc to the motor and possibly the battery connector to the esc usually mini jst i think they call them.

...............I will say that if you are asking the question "do I need to solder to complete the bonsai you may be a newer pilot (though I could be 100% wrong) and the Bonsai is more of an intermediate plane.
Yes, I am a newer pilot started last year mid summer, succesfully flown and own eflite apprentice, Eflite extra 300, mcx2, mcpx v2, and eflite hyper taxi. I am very into 3d but want a small-medium sized wing to relax with. BTW I fly my planes with a dx5e for the apprentice (i even added a working bomb drop with the extra channel) and a dx6i for my other planes. so now the question is: is there an inexpensive (as I am 11 yrs old I am tight on money i always spend it on another plane/heli when I have enough) but good flying small-medium sized wing that does not require soldering? I am looking for a 500mm to 800mm wing. It would be great if its from HK cuz itll be cheaper but its ok if its not. thanks

-joker

EDIT: I also want to put a bomb drop on it maybe or an fpv cam so something that could take the extra weight

EDIT AGAIN: I practice on RF5.5 planning to get the upgrade to RF6 soon
Last edited by joker24458; Aug 14, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Aug 15, 2012, 01:16 AM
looking up, down under
Thread OP
hi joker

the bonsai will require you to supply a ready to go esc with battery and motor connectors, and the motor will need corresponding connectors

so in addition to buying the bonsai, you will need all the extras listed in the first post in this thread

if you read further down i upgraded the motor and the esc, and also the battery got upped to a 3s 370mah from the 2s 460mah

unless you have pre-wired parts, there is no way to escape soldering
and also you will need to purchase the required connectors and jst battery plug for the esc

i was completely noob to soldering only a month or two ago, and now i am competent - a soldering iron and solder is not expensive, but maybe your folks or a friend's parent is able to solder and can help ? the parts are fiddly, so young eyes have a great advantage in doing the necessary bits

the bonsai is great fun, and i recommend it highly

it can carry a tiny camera (i use the turnigy keychain spycam) quite easily, although it is enough additional weight to slow it down a bit

edit : flies fine on the 460mah 2s with the bigger motor, but needs some nose ballast in that config and has nowhere near the climb of the 3s - may be a good combo for photography with the likelihood that it will do an easy 10 minutes on low throttle too
Last edited by scruffy1; Aug 15, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Aug 17, 2012, 01:54 PM
Firepower
Just saw your old post.

I just bought a Bonsai and am setting it up for FPV. I'll be using using the same gear as on the MiniSwift in the photo but with a SPW antenna (four leaf clover) for extra range but the stupid little piece of wire in the photo works good..

The camera is 1 gram and the video TX is 2 grams and MUST get the wide angle lens which I have. The camera is just all right as when there is sky in the video the ground is quite dark. My mate has a bigger better camera on his Bonsai.

My video TX runs on 3.3volts so needs the extra step down board which is behind the camera. Better buying the 5v version.

If you want a list of the exact details and where to buy the gear just let me know.

It has taken me years to fly totally by myself FPV but just done it on a few flights last weekend on the MiniSwift so now will do the same on my bigger planes. Flying FPV is extremely easy but getting the right camera at the RIGHT angle so you know where you are is the trick, as well as getting used to using the TV goggles.

What is the trick (CA I suppose) with the Bonsai push rods? I have a good heat gun but I can easily pull out the end Z piece easily?

Quote:
if i wanted to go under trees i would buy an r/c car

what fpv gear are you using ?
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 17, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Aug 17, 2012, 08:25 PM
looking up, down under
Thread OP
Quote:
If you want a list of the exact details and where to buy the gear just let me know.
yes please

private mail is fine if that's easier, but feel free to reply in the thread for the benefit of other interested parties

Quote:
What is the trick (CA I suppose) with the Bonsai push rods? I have a good heat gun but I can easily pull out the end Z piece easily?
cyanoacrylate to lock them after using tight (read small) heatshrink is the way

i use a propane lighter to do the heat shrink - works well if you don't try too hard and set fire to it

if you need some adjustment, ca will let go with a 90° twist - pull or push the requisite distance and reglue - that's a good tip to know
Aug 20, 2012, 02:14 AM
Firepower
Thanks for the info on the linkages.

This is the info on the FPV gear:

1. Camera weighs 1 gram http://fpvhobby.com/63-1-gram-nano-camera-480tvl.html I am still looking for a bigger camera for the Bonsai that handles the bright sky better but have only found this one to date. Use just the camera.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...assembled.html

The 1 gram camera MUST have a wide angle lens as you can not see enough without.
http://fpvhobby.com/138-wide-angle-l...no-camera.html

2. Video transmitter. There are two things to get right with these transmitters. They must be 5V – a lot sell 3.3Volt ones and that means another step down regulator and must be compatible with HobbkKing frequencies so you can use the same receivers on other planes. I bought the wrong ones but this one is 5v but this one looks good on both accounts. You can buy these elsewhere for $20 but usually wrong voltage or wrong frequencies.
http://fpvhobby.com/93-200mw-58ghz-a-v-transmitter.html

3. To power the gear you could take 5v from the receiver. Mine is different as I bought the wrong transmitter which is 3.3v.

4. On the ground you need a receiver like this:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html

5. Also on the ground you can use a 7inch or bigger monitor or buy the goggles which I have. DO NOT get the cheap ones as they are no good. They must be at least 640 by 480 resolution like these.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Goggles_.html
Alternatively you can get these as they have the receiver built in:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...et_System.html

6. Then there are recorders to record your flight which is another long story.
I could talk all day on these items and it would be better to ask questions on each item and my reply would be extremely long on each item. But if you intend to purchase them it would be worthwhile to ask more unless you want to waste money. (like me)

On my Bonsai I will put a SPW antenna (four leaf clover) for more range. I built mine myself which is another story.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
yes please

private mail is fine if that's easier, but feel free to reply in the thread for the benefit of other interested parties

cyanoacrylate to lock them after using tight (read small) heatshrink is the way

i use a propane lighter to do the heat shrink - works well if you don't try too hard and set fire to it

if you need some adjustment, ca will let go with a 90° twist - pull or push the requisite distance and reglue - that's a good tip to know
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 20, 2012 at 02:31 AM.

Quick Reply