May 06, 2012, 10:43 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the pics!
As far as rudder offsset...
Mine came with equal holes on both sides (where I screwed servo case screws and I drilled the bottom right in the middle (since there was no other hole there)
One thing I noticed is that one side of the front of the rudder does have the roundness for pivoting but the other is flat

On the flaps, I guess I'll have to come up with something too since the servo covers that came with mine are flat with no linkage channel. I guess the simplest solution would be new servo covers.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
-----
The hinge pin must be on the "rounded" side. That means the whole hinge is off-set to the right side of the plane. The flat section is flat because it has to slide into the fin when the rudder swings to the left.
May 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
-----
..so a horn on the right ("rounded") side makes more sense.
May 08, 2012, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Everything goes in the freezer now since I'll be out of the country for over a month.
I'll continue when I come back but I managed to get dive brakes servos installed in the wings and I'm making some servo frames for ailerons and flaps.
May 09, 2012, 01:17 PM
-----
Good luck on the trip, see your next posts here when you get back!
May 09, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I might be able to post a couple of pics of the progress so far before I go
May 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
Thread OP
What it keeps me going back and forward is if I want to cut the stab the way you did it or go the "German way" with the servos stuck in the fin and just a slit cut on the stab for the horn to pop out.
The benefits of having the servo inside the stab is that then I can put micro Deans and it'll get connected automatically when you assemble them, while with the servo in the fin I'll need to plug them myself individually. But it looks like a cleaner install...
Once I have the servos in my hand it'll be easier to picture it.
Same as if I will use 2 different channel (one per servo) or use a Y cable.
I thought it would be cool to have ailevons but the stab being in a different plane from the wing I'm not sure it will work or have some interaction. Having them in a Y will make it a bit harder to fine tune them if there are any performance difference in the servos but will allow me to use just one 8Ch Rx
Well, at least I have some time now to make a decision about those.
May 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
-----
I have flying leads on the stabiliser side, so I plug the servo wires in manually anyway. It takes me 1.3597 seconds longer per side...

Not sure what ailervators are? I do you use snap-flap (where the entire wing trailing edge responds to elevator input) all the time.

I have the elevator servos on a Y-lead, and just make sure they work together mechanically.
May 10, 2012, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Yes, I think I'll go with a Y too.
Ailevators (may be I meant ailevons, not sure) but is when you have two individual halves and they work similar to a V-tail except that instead of rud/elev is ail/elev.
But being in a different plane/axis from the ailerons I guess it will tend to cork screw when you roll.
As for the connections, you are absolutely right about the time (down to the 1/10 of a thousand) I just think it's more cool when you just slide it in and you are done.
Speaking of sliding in... (NO!!!!! I'm not talking about that!!!!)
Do you have naything to lock the stab in or just friction?
May 11, 2012, 02:43 AM
-----
Friction works for me!

I would stay well away from ailevators/ons: that's not normal for gliders...
Oct 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
I guess I need to do a bit of a catch up on this thread...
The L-213A it's almost ready, just finished the mediocre paint job so I guess I'll need to fly it really fast so people don't notice the flaws.
It just needs to get balanced now.
The elevators are with two small servos in the tail (seems to be a must upgrade).
I had to make a couple of servo covers for the flap servos since the ones that came with the kit are just blind flat covers with no pushrod exit.
And the batteries will be chosen once I know how much weight it needs in the nose (either LiFe or NiMh).
Oct 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
Cant fly enough
Awesome,

I look forward to the flight report!
Oct 14, 2012, 10:27 PM
Thread OP
Sit comfortable Greg,
The rainy season is getting to it's heavier phase now and only after it's over (somewhere in December) the winds will grow. So I'll finish it and put it in the shelf until then.
In the mean time I'll play with my recently finished vac-bag system to see if I can make some decent wings for this one.
Dec 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Thread OP

Amaaaaaaaazing!!!!!!

I maidened the L-213-A a couple of days ago and I'm in love with this glider!!!!!
I only managed one flight since when I landed it I realized one of the elevator servo was gone (I sohuld mention that one on the cheap servos thread ).
I'm pretty sure this is the last time I buy Hitech servos.
I didn't want to go with cheaper ones so I bought some Hitech HS65MG and I got 3 just to have a spare one (just in case). So one of the installed ones died o flight (good thing I had installed two) and now I took the third one out of the box, I installed it and it's all jittery.
So I'll toss them in the bin and I'll install some Coronas I have laying around.
Anyway, back to the glider...
My friend threw it just in case I needed some corrections on launch and this thing went straight as an arrow and clibed right afterwards like a baloon!!!!
It really loves speed but also seems to gain altitude without problems.
The videos I have are quite crappy since somebody took them with a cell phone but here it is anyway.
L 213 A (0 min 54 sec)

Thanks Chris!!! great recommendation!!!!!!
Dec 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
-----
Cool ! I've got a big grin on my face now: glad you like it!

Chris

Quick Reply