Nov 08, 2017, 08:31 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Hi,

you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320
in very big air the rod linkage for the rudder and even the big ailerons can flutter. New builders should focus on getting a rock solid linkage in these areas
I have never experienced flutter on the rudder or the ailerons on my L-213A.

But at least for the rudder there should be an easy option to eliminate the tendency to flutter in very big air by weight compensation. Take the rudder of the fuselage and use the axis of the rod as a horizontal balancing axis. Now lay some small pieces of lead on the nose of the rudder (use some tape to keep it in place) until it is completely balanced (you shouldnt need much lead). Then you glue in the appropriate amount of weight into the nose of the rudder. Thats it.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 10:41 AM
Silent but deadly!
I'm using a closed loop, (pull pull) on the rudder so I haven't experienced any rudder flutter on my 213. And come to think of it, I haven't experienced any flutter on any of the other surfaces either. Maybe I have been lucky? And I've flown mine in 40 - 50 mph winds, and man does she rock in those conditions.

This video was taken recently on a small slope just north of Cardiff in S Wales in about 15 mph winds.

Copy of L213 at the Meio (3 min 48 sec)
Nov 09, 2017, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGlider
I'm using a closed loop, (pull pull) on the rudder so I haven't experienced any rudder flutter on my 213. And come to think of it, I haven't experienced any flutter on any of the other surfaces either. Maybe I have been lucky? And I've flown mine in 40 - 50 mph winds, and man does she rock in those conditions.

This video was taken recently on a small slope just north of Cardiff in S Wales in about 15 mph winds.

https://youtu.be/XRvKsWUpHys
Neither do I.
+1 on the rudder pull-pull
May 20, 2018, 06:25 PM
Cant fly enough

Finally, the first flight

Well its been 3.5 years since I procured the L213a and almost 2 years since my first CG test toss down the hill.

Finally the wind god smiled and I had a chance to fly the L-213a under decent, if inconsistent conditions. The CG was perfect per plan. I went with 8mm Hi Rate elevator and normally flew at 5mm midrates which seemed perfect. Crow (butterfly) worked perfectly requiring very little down compensation. The stall seemed pretty benign but due to the inconsistent lift I was hesitant to press it. Rolls are very axial, big loops are beautiful. It four points very nicely. The rudder has good authority but I need to tighten up the linkage installed by the first owner. I need to check my AUW but it is pretty light. I think it could use a bit of ballast to improve energy retention.

Both the first and second owners passed before they got it in the air. I was thinking of them throughout. The third time is the charm! Overall a great, precise and very good looking flyer. I cant wait to wring it out this season.
May 24, 2018, 10:31 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Two thumbs up!

I still like to fly mine after all those years ...

Regards,

Andy
Aug 11, 2018, 09:27 PM
Cant fly enough
I've gotten in a couple more flights. and I really like this plane.

My AUW is 8.6 lbm/3.9 KG. The Valenta website says 2.1 KG which seems ridiculously low. What are you all flying at?
Aug 12, 2018, 07:06 AM
raining outside - just weighed mine, and its pretty much the same as yours 3.86 kg

wings - per panel 790 gms
tail plane with joiners 130
fuselage (with pilot, rudder pull pull ) 2030
wing joiner 128gms

flies great!
Aug 16, 2018, 05:19 AM
Slopeaholic

1\3 l213

Nicks big 213 maidened at rhossili in 25-40mph winds. Quite a machine. Flew straight as an arrow no trims required and is the daddy of the baby 213. This one required 1.45kg of lead to ballast the nose at the slope as nick hadnt enough room to set the balance at home!
Aug 24, 2018, 12:59 PM
Slopeaholic

Two L213s

Not one but two 1\5 l213s in 35\40 mph winds!
Sep 02, 2018, 01:58 PM
Last weeks flying in dorset. not good video but photo says it all. very enjoyable basic flying.

valenta l213a 2.8 m chapmans pool (1 min 20 sec)
May 05, 2019, 02:02 PM
Wipers on the elevator got stuck on the root of the tail. Both sides have cracked. One side you can see front feint scratches on the blue of the tail plane. The crack are probably a good thing and how the elevator become free again, fortunately. Read something similar about this on the German thread. Not sure what is best to do with the wiper? . Im going to recheck throws as had originally set things up so the wiper would not daylight.
May 06, 2019, 04:15 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Andy,

reminds me on how I nearly lost my L-213A because the wipers of the elevator got stuck. I had unbelievable luck - there were eyewitnesses: The L-213A did on looping after another and in my mind I was prepared to bury her after the awaited crash. But - one looping was kind of a landing aproach and the fuselage touched the ground relatively smooth (though very fast), she lost speed and had a very rough landing with almost no damage. I couldnt believe my luck!

I removed the wipers. There were a couple of reports of wipers getting stucked on various Valenta models some years ago (in german message board rc-network.de). Some removed the wipers, others found solutions to the problem and fly with modified wipers.

Andy
May 11, 2019, 08:03 PM
Cant fly enough
The season has opened and we had the perfect day today, All I can say is WOW! What a perfect slope acrobat!

And what a LOOKER! The club DS master saw it and said "you have the coolest planes!"
May 17, 2019, 03:39 AM
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Beshouri
The season has opened and we had the perfect day today, All I can say is WOW! What a perfect slope acrobat!

And what a LOOKER! The club DS master saw it and said "you have the coolest planes!"
Great! It truly is one of the all-time greats!
May 17, 2019, 04:11 PM
Cant fly enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1
Great! It truly is one of the all-time greats!
It sure is!

Quick Reply