Valenta 1:5 L-213A - RC Groups
May 04, 2012, 05:29 PM
Discussion

Valenta 1:5 L-213A

I just took delivery of my 1:5 L-213A and I'm a bit shocked to say the least...
I've been quite a fan of Valenta (up until now at least) but this model is not what I expected in terms of quality...
I read somewhere that the rudder hinging is up to you (no rudder hinges) ok I deal with it.
The instructions are minimal (actually non existent except for that one page with lots of number that leads to no notations whatsoever). But I haven't payed much attention to be honest, may be it's all there.
What it was a blow in my groin is the way the wing fits (or bwtter say not fit) in the fuse!!!!
What kind of hardware did you get in yours?
Mine seems to come with the minimal (few ball links/ends, canopy, two stickers two pieces of plywood) no wheels, no instrument pannel.
Any input or link to further instructions are welcome.
Fernando
Last edited by ferincr; May 04, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2012, 10:12 PM
Well it wasn't as bad as I thought.
I posted this on aerotowing.com and they suggested to check the rod for straightness and bingo!!!
They were right, it's just a bent wing rod.
May 05, 2012, 01:56 PM
Glad to hear the problem was resolved. I had that model and it flies very well. The air brakes are very effective.

Steve
May 05, 2012, 02:04 PM
-----
Actually, what you have there is an acknowledged manufacturing fault! DO NOT STRAIGHTEN THE JOINER ROD! The factory supplies the rod with a deliberate slight bend in it, there is a mark on the rod for where it must be inserted upright...
May 05, 2012, 02:05 PM
-----
(I'll take some pictures and answer your PM).
May 05, 2012, 02:09 PM
-----
The small l-123 doesn't come with any wheels (or cockpit fittings). I have never seen anyone try and fit them to be honest, usually this model is used for slope flying, and its better without an undercarriage.

All Valenta models come with nothing but a single sheet of "instructions"... There are luckily quite a few few build threads, both here and particularly on RC-network (German, but use Google Translate).
May 05, 2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1
Actually, what you have there is an acknowledged manufacturing fault! DO NOT STRAIGHTEN THE JOINER ROD! The factory supplies the rod with a deliberate slight bend in it, there is a mark on the rod for where it must be inserted upright...
Ooopsss!!!
Too late
(I wondered what that mark meant...)
That's why instructions would have been nice but I guess printing one page would bump the price of the plane to an unafordable price
May 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'll check RC network.
I only found one here from few years back and got as much info from it as I could. (But there's not much...)
May 05, 2012, 02:42 PM
-----
Ooops, you'll have to put a slight kink back into the rod to get both wings to sit flush with the fuz. I use a rubber mallet and whack the inside of where it should bend...
Last edited by Woodstock 1; May 05, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: "inside"? "outside"? Confused, me...
May 05, 2012, 03:53 PM
I'll reverse the process, what I did was to use a clamp on the rod as it rested on two pieces of wood.
One thing I noticed is that the bent didn't seem to be in the middle though. I guess I'll put it on the middle now
Now if you excuse me I have to keep looking for my Ego
Last edited by ferincr; May 05, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
May 05, 2012, 04:47 PM
BLANIK213
I have the 1/5 L213 and it is a great flying model and it will thermal quite well but must be flown a little faster than the usual to get on step and take advantage of the ability to range out to get the thermals. I am using a carbon rod (straight rod)and as a result made the necessary corrections to the fuse shoulder area for a perfect fit.I purchased the Blanik second hand and upon setting it up l discovered that the elevator incidence was not even from left half to right and a little to much so I set them at +1 1/2 degrees prior to that I was told by the original owner the plane exhibited a porpousing like action as if the CG was too tail heavy and needed more nose weight ,it did not once the correction was made. I also installed a interchangeable nose,one using the original with tow release the other sports a Nue 1509 with 16x13 prop on 5s . This plane is a joy either setup.
Last edited by blanik213; May 05, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
May 05, 2012, 05:32 PM
-----
I also corrected the unbalanced left/right incidence of the tailplanes, but found it made absolutely no difference to the flying quality ?! I do love this plane, it is possibly my favorite.

The kink in the joiner was off-set a bit so that it was in line with the wing root.
May 05, 2012, 06:39 PM
Wow! there is a lot of info on RC network, I registered and I'm waiting to have full access to the account to be able to blow those pics up.
Thanks for the tip.