This thread is privately moderated by Rat Brother 1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2012, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FancyFoam 42" YAK-54

Motor: FancyFoam 50g 930kv
ESC: ZTW 20A
Servos: GraysonHobby 9Gram Micro Servo (had them sitting around)
Prop: APC 10x4.7 slow fly
Weight with battery: 16.1oz. (480g)

I used the FancyFoam plywood motor mount installed with slight right thrust, and the landing gear kit. I CA'd a piece of fuel line on the inside of the axel and a self-locking nut on the outside to reduce wheel wobble. I also stiffened the fuselage by adding a 5mm x 3mm x 24" carbon fibre strip set into a slot on the inside of the outside fuselage doublers (each side) from the back to the underside of the wing for extra stiffness. If you go this route mount the CF about 3/4" down from the bottom of the horizontal fuselage section so that you have room for the servo pockets for the elevator and rudder. I found that the control rods for the elevator and rudder flexed a bit but solved the problem with a couple of cable ties used as guide/supports.

Went through my typical ground check and range test before the maiden and took her up. NO TRIMMING REQUIRED!!! Seriously! Put it through its paces and brought it up and killed the motor... glided beautifully. Roll, perfect. Knife edge, ditto. Elevator to harrier landing, all smiles.

Second flight, new battery and all I can say is WOW! Pointed it skyward and gave it some extra throttle and watched it climb until it spit off the prop. Brought it down to a perfect dead-stick landing with an ear-to-ear grin.
Last edited by Rat Brother 1; May 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply