Thread Tools
Old May 03, 2012, 11:05 PM
surfimp is offline
Find More Posts by surfimp
Piscine Promulgator
surfimp's Avatar
Discussion

Video: This is UltraBatics: The Rudder Flip Demonstrated


WE DID IT!

This is UltraBatics: The Rudder Flip (0 min 36 sec)




Steve
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 11:06 PM
surfimp is offline
Find More Posts by surfimp
Piscine Promulgator
surfimp's Avatar
Full video about the Aero-Glide ultrabatics prototype, a collaboration between Michael Richter and myself:

The Aero-Glide UltraBatics Slope Glider Prototype (3 min 27 sec)


Steve
Old May 03, 2012, 11:32 PM
Zenmaniac is offline
Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Building with TLAR precision
Zenmaniac's Avatar
SA-WEET!

Where does the line start??? I'm packing my sleeping bag and waiting for the doors to open!!


-= Dave
Old May 03, 2012, 11:48 PM
FSD is offline
FSD
Find More Posts by FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
FSD's Avatar
So, while I'm busy putting kits together, you are out there setting new standards. Wonderful work...I'm so stoked for you guys. Been working on it myself with far less success. Keep it coming. I had no idea that 1) you all were working on a new design and 2) that Michael was getting involved. Congrats!

-Paige
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; May 03, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:50 PM
ch701 is offline
Find More Posts by ch701
Aeronca Driver
ch701's Avatar
Next in line....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 12:00 AM
robh is offline
Find More Posts by robh
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
robh's Avatar
Great stuff Gents! And, ... a little Todd Rundgren also goes nicely! Steely Dan with Paige one day, Todd with this masterpiece the next! I'm really enjoying the way fine music seems to help the creative juices flow
Old May 04, 2012, 12:07 AM
Rhys Porter is offline
Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Planes dress doors...
Rhys Porter's Avatar
Awesome Any pics of the Aero-Glide so the glider nerds like us can oggle over it's every detail?
Old May 04, 2012, 12:15 AM
bluzharp is offline
Find More Posts by bluzharp
setting CG with ceiling fan on
bluzharp's Avatar
That is very cool!
Old May 04, 2012, 12:29 AM
surfimp is offline
Find More Posts by surfimp
Piscine Promulgator
surfimp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter View Post
Awesome Any pics of the Aero-Glide so the glider nerds like us can oggle over it's every detail?
Just one! Sorry

1.5m
17oz (480g)
TP42/29

Full flying stab and rudder capable of 180* rotation using Henderson Pulleys

The design was based in equal parts on ideas and input I had about how to successfully perform a rudder flip, as presented initially in the Le Cygne thread, as well as ideas Michael had. The really cool factoid is that the fuselage's shape is that of an Alula fin scaled up... how cool is that?

I don't have much time on it yet, but my initial impression: it's the best aerobatics glider I've ever flown.

There's absolutely no coupling in knife edge, rolls are crisp, rudder and elevator authority were good (although we were having technical difficulties with the pulleys slipping, no fault of the pulley concept, just the initial implementation needs improvement). It's fast and super smooth, it's going to be perfect for UltraBatics and pretty much anything else.

That said, there are still challenges to overcome: we had flutter in the tail when going too fast, and the pulleys had slippage. There's no free lunch in this stuff and everything has to work together. In some ways, the "easy" part is over and now it's getting it optimized so that it's robust and reliable.

But I'm totally confident that we'll have success there, too.

I can't wait to fly it again!!

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; May 04, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:37 AM
Zenmaniac is offline
Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Building with TLAR precision
Zenmaniac's Avatar
I remain confident that you and Michael will work out all the bugs prior to production!

-= Dave
Old May 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
surfimp is offline
Find More Posts by surfimp
Piscine Promulgator
surfimp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD View Post
So, while I'm busy putting kits together, you are out there setting new standards. Wonderful work...I'm so stoked for you guys. Been working on it myself with far less success. Keep it coming. I had no idea that 1) you all were working on a new design and 2) that Michael was getting involved. Congrats!
Thanks Paige. Michael has been a huge inspiration for me in the hobby and taught me the vast majority of what I know. Collaborating with him on this design has been wonderful... I had an intuitive feeling for what could work to accomplish these flips, but really without his amazing design and building skills I don't think it would've been such a success.

I literally pulled the rudder flip on the first try. So stoked... and so totally just the beginning.

Steve
Old May 04, 2012, 12:48 AM
surfimp is offline
Find More Posts by surfimp
Piscine Promulgator
surfimp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post
I remain confident that you and Michael will work out all the bugs prior to production!


Steve
Old May 04, 2012, 12:55 AM
FSD is offline
FSD
Find More Posts by FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
FSD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Thanks Paige. Michael has been a huge inspiration for me in the hobby and taught me the vast majority of what I know. Collaborating with him on this design has been wonderful... I had an intuitive feeling for what could work to accomplish these flips, but really without his amazing design and building skills I don't think it would've been such a success.

I literally pulled the rudder flip on the first try. So stoked... and so totally just the beginning.

Steve
Well...good luck on the production end. Of course with Michael's outstanding reputation you should have no problem dominating the market.

-P
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flow 3.5 Maiden With Aeros
Old May 04, 2012, 01:01 AM
johannlochner is offline
Find More Posts by johannlochner
Stirring the pot
johannlochner's Avatar
What a blast!

Well done guys!!
That plane is just so cool!

Oh,
With that tail configuration...
You should be able to side arm launch it too!!!
Last edited by johannlochner; May 04, 2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Late thought!
Old May 04, 2012, 01:09 AM
surfimp is offline
Find More Posts by surfimp
Piscine Promulgator
surfimp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner View Post
What a blast!

Well done guys!!
That plane is just so cool!

Oh,
With that tail configuration...
You should be able to side arm launch it too!!!
It would be super cool if it could be SALed too.

I am sure the GoldFish will be similarly successful! It's the same concept as the Madstab: just make sure you get as close to 90* travel as possible...

Steve


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Video: The J-Flip Tail-First Takeoff surfimp Slope 36 May 08, 2012 02:37 AM
Discussion New Video: Flips and Spins with Le Fish Light dawsonh Slope 14 Apr 23, 2012 07:51 PM
Discussion eRC Quad First Flips (Video) Jason Cole Multirotor Talk 3 Oct 21, 2011 05:20 PM
Discussion Flip video pocket Camera for $29 RSTEARMAN Hot Online Deals 0 Sep 23, 2011 07:37 PM
need hex code to make 12c509 a flip flop, for rudder only brucej DIY Electronics 13 Nov 23, 2004 03:49 PM