This thread is privately moderated by Keith Kindrick, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

ALES in Visalia with Al Strahm as CD

This was my first effort flying ALES and did not actually know what to expect. My prior attempt to fly this E-Topaz was filled with problems at the Fresno 2 day. In between then and now I solved my power plant problems so I could fly in this event. On the drive up to this event I was hoping to get at least one test flight. Steve George had filled my head with a few ideas as to what the E-Topaz we were both using would be capable of doing. After two test flights with him the basic set up was complete. My actual strategy session came from Jim McCarthy a year ago on the phone when he told me about the event he flew in. Once you get into the ALES event itís pretty easy to follow. Al Strahm had a very organized and straight forward set of rules. The working window was new to me yet I still made a few mistakes. Each round the working window became easier and easier for me to get into the launch area with plenty of time.

In the heats I flew in using power off at 200 meters (600 ft) it did not appear to be a sure thing making a 10 minute flight using an E-Topaz. The Topaz glider uses a lower camber AG series section. Adding any weight to it impacts the glide and climb out in weak lift. Knowing this I used a 1300 mah 65C 3 cell LiPo to keep the weight down. Even doing this I could feel the weight in thermals low to the ground. If I continue to play in the event I will look for another design or create my own after seeing what happens to E-Topaz performance having to lug around the extra weight. Iím already going to change the battery size after just 4 flights in one event. If the CD in an event lowers the altitude to 100 meters this design will really suffer and the AVA will be king. A full flying trailing edge like Claude Turner had on his E-Topaz would be nice. It would also be very helpful on the landing tape to slow this e-glider to a walk on the last meter for the tie breaker. Power systems were very close for some and not for others. Faster planes can range out and cover more area than a slower plane. That may not be a key thing yet it does allow one more option in searching for a thermal or going out to reach a dust devil in the distance.

This event has legs to it and it will evolve. Al Strahm ran a great event and made a lot of guys smile. I was one of them. Here is a few pictures of the event.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply