May 03, 2012, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Jump starting real car with lipo

Hi all
Jump starting a real car with a lipo. Why not? Id use a 4s maybe a 3s might work but....
Anyone wanting to do this once or even more than once i recommend this.
When you start the car the engine will soon drive the alternator to a speed that it will be charging the battery. This means the lipo will be getting a 13v or so charge direct with no balance leads. This is where the damage will be. If wanting to do this more often i would recommend adding a diode to the circuit to stop the charge going into the lipo. Then i cant see a problem with. Im thinking of making a pack to leave int he car for this but im worried about the explosive power they can get sitting in a hot car
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2012, 08:05 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Jun 22, 2012, 01:29 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
been done on a honda with a 3s. other than excessive amp draw (old nissan inline 6 starter rated at 250A) not much. as long as the lead battery is in place, should be no problem with chargging system or ignition.
Jun 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
I'd rather be Flying
I've got a 12 HP 8000 watt generator with electric start. It's difficult to get a reasonable lifetime from the starting battery, so I just took it out and use the recoil start. I recently decided to try using a LiPo pack since I've always got several in the wine cooler at storage charge. I used a 3s 2200 pack with a voltage of 11.6. It started the generator with absolutely no strain. I see no reason why a 3S LiPo of sufficient capacity to handle the amp draw would not work just as well on a car starter. I'd wire a connector of choice in place, I use APPs, instead of using alligator clamps or such. I'd also disconnect ASAP after the car starts.

Dave
Jun 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
RCAPA #005
As long as you know what the current draw of starting is and what the lipo can take- it could work. I think many people don't realize how much momentary draw happens when starting a car.
Aug 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
Speed Demon
I jump started the wifes Lincoln after she left the dome light on all night with a 4S pack of A123's, started really nice.
Apr 04, 2016, 08:03 PM
Some of the small car jumper battery units are doing this very thing with lipos.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:27 PM
LUFTGUCKER
got a 3s lipo 5000ma in my atv box with starter cable just in case,i had to use it on another atv worked great!
Nov 07, 2017, 07:12 PM
Here is a commercial Li-ion starting battery in my car.
Saved about 35 lbs, in my case. I believe it is of the LiFe chemistry.
It has an internal computer to take care of the charging, and safety shutoffs.
A lot of higher end sporty cars have them as an option now.
Not the hot ticket for cold weather tho.
Nov 13, 2017, 04:04 PM
Suspended Account
i have started a few car trucks and even boats with a 4 cell A123 pack..
Dec 11, 2017, 02:52 AM
Suspended Account
Done it too.
Apr 12, 2020, 09:31 PM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11
Late post, but
I saw a YouTuber, Shadetree Surgeon, using a backup mobile battery. It looked like a Lipo pack but had a little more to it. He used it to start his Triumph Rocket III (huge 2300cc motorcycle) and more than once.

So if there's something out there for bikes, prolly also for cars too...

Personally, I don't want Lipo/Liion batteries in my car or on my bike. It gets hot here in Texas and seems like a bad idea (Summers hit 111F degrees one year). The dedicated starting system you can buy is likely a tad safer than using a RC pack, but i know those LiPos burn 800F degrees when punctured.

I don't want to get in a wreck only to burn to death from a dang LiPo getting punctured.

Otoh, it also can get fairly cold here in Texas (not so much lately), which is not so good. So, when i needed a new battery for my motorcycle, i reached deep in the holey pocket for the Stock YUASA battery my bike originally came with. I don't want any problems on my bike. The bike weighs dang near 700lbs, so saving 8 lbs is not an issue for me. I like the weight.

Car, i got some cheap battery that if it lasts 3 years i'm happy :P
May 13, 2020, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
I have never done it my self, but have told friends that ask about my big lipos "This thing could start your car. "
May 15, 2020, 10:22 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Couple years ago I cold-started my old 1.6L Sentra with a 3S 1350mAh 35C lipo with my wattmeter inline for curiosity's sake. It did start, but it drew like 110 amps, if I recall, and the pack wasn't even fully charged.

A half-charged 4S 4000mAh lipo could probably start any typical passenger car or SUV in an emergency, but who on Earth wants to drive around with that in their car?

The thing I like about the lead-acid as a primary battery is the toughness factor. Mine is six years old, has over 90k miles in temperatures from -45F to +110F (maybe more?), been run flat several times, and still cranks without effort. No computer, no management system, just a glorified potato clock. Dumb, durable, reliable. Just heavy.
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Jul 25, 2021, 03:36 AM
Hi, I have a big big question, I don't understand to the electricity that much so don't kill me But can I use my 2S Lipo 6000mAh 60c (by calculations it should draw about 360A) battery to jump start a car? I'm just wondering if 7.4V could start a car or do I need at least 3S battery? And also can I use this battery as "emergency powerbank" for my mobile phone? Also sorry for my language

Quick Reply