May 03, 2012, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Jump starting real car with lipo

Hi all
Jump starting a real car with a lipo. Why not? Id use a 4s maybe a 3s might work but....
Anyone wanting to do this once or even more than once i recommend this.
When you start the car the engine will soon drive the alternator to a speed that it will be charging the battery. This means the lipo will be getting a 13v or so charge direct with no balance leads. This is where the damage will be. If wanting to do this more often i would recommend adding a diode to the circuit to stop the charge going into the lipo. Then i cant see a problem with. Im thinking of making a pack to leave int he car for this but im worried about the explosive power they can get sitting in a hot car
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2012, 08:05 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Jun 22, 2012, 01:29 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
been done on a honda with a 3s. other than excessive amp draw (old nissan inline 6 starter rated at 250A) not much. as long as the lead battery is in place, should be no problem with chargging system or ignition.
Jun 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
I'd rather be Flying
I've got a 12 HP 8000 watt generator with electric start. It's difficult to get a reasonable lifetime from the starting battery, so I just took it out and use the recoil start. I recently decided to try using a LiPo pack since I've always got several in the wine cooler at storage charge. I used a 3s 2200 pack with a voltage of 11.6. It started the generator with absolutely no strain. I see no reason why a 3S LiPo of sufficient capacity to handle the amp draw would not work just as well on a car starter. I'd wire a connector of choice in place, I use APPs, instead of using alligator clamps or such. I'd also disconnect ASAP after the car starts.

Dave
Jun 27, 2012, 08:04 PM
RCAPA #005
As long as you know what the current draw of starting is and what the lipo can take- it could work. I think many people don't realize how much momentary draw happens when starting a car.
Aug 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
Speed Demon
I jump started the wifes Lincoln after she left the dome light on all night with a 4S pack of A123's, started really nice.
Apr 04, 2016, 08:03 PM
Some of the small car jumper battery units are doing this very thing with lipos.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:27 PM
LUFTGUCKER
got a 3s lipo 5000ma in my atv box with starter cable just in case,i had to use it on another atv worked great!
Nov 07, 2017, 07:12 PM
Here is a commercial Li-ion starting battery in my car.
Saved about 35 lbs, in my case. I believe it is of the LiFe chemistry.
It has an internal computer to take care of the charging, and safety shutoffs.
A lot of higher end sporty cars have them as an option now.
Not the hot ticket for cold weather tho.
Nov 13, 2017, 04:04 PM
Suspended Account
i have started a few car trucks and even boats with a 4 cell A123 pack..
Dec 11, 2017, 02:52 AM
Done it too.

Quick Reply