New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by glenneaux
Discussion

Scratch Build advice - design, motors, props.

Hey everyone

I'm new to RC planes but not new to building light aircraft parts/assemblies.

At my work we build assemblies for an aircraft (flaps, ailerons, rudders, instrument panels, firewall, etc etc) , and we are going to be making parts for another aircraft, a modified GAF Nomad:

So, with access to some resources at work (urethane foam, cnc router, cad data...) i thought it would be fun to make a scale model of this plane!

Tentative plan is to nut out a design, cnc route the parts from foam and coat it in epoxy, possibly glass it depending on the size....

edit: The foam is Divinycell H, 80 density..

http://www.diabgroup.com/europe/prod...inycell_h.html

Which leads me to my initial question! I want to keep this as a triple blade twin motor setup, and i want to make it electric.. What pointers can I get to decide on the scale and what props/motors to run ?

What sort of weight should this thing be? How much can it weigh given the above ?

Very open to thoughts and input guys!
Last edited by glenneaux; May 01, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by Rayne
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Hello there,
80kg per cubic meter works out to about 5 pounds per cubic foot unless I'm mistaken. That's a bit heavier than foam typically used in r/c planes, you may want to reconsider your material or look into not making it one solid chunk of foam. Also if you're new to r/c planes I'd suggest starting with something a little bit simpler like a 3-channel trainer. Check out the Scale Electric Planes section for plenty of plans and useful info on building your own.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by glenneaux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Hello there,
80kg per cubic meter works out to about 5 pounds per cubic foot unless I'm mistaken. That's a bit heavier than foam typically used in r/c planes, you may want to reconsider your material or look into not making it one solid chunk of foam. Also if you're new to r/c planes I'd suggest starting with something a little bit simpler like a 3-channel trainer. Check out the Scale Electric Planes section for plenty of plans and useful info on building your own.
Rather than making it solid foam, I can (if need be) pocket out the insides of the parts. The foam we have is about 60mm thick so can do the parts in 2 halves then bond/bolt together ... So the insides could be pocketed with webs for strength.

Failing that, can possibly look into a different material, i only came across this line of thinking due to having the foam available to me!