Mar 15, 2013, 07:33 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
I have not used any stabilisation in my videos. All tuning of the craft and camera mounting.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2013, 01:07 AM
aka Helidaho
Finally getting my CC3D and QAV500 dialed in. Put on some new SunnySky 980kv motors with 9x5 Graupner props and that seems to help as well.

Backyard CC3D FPV Tuning (2 min 56 sec)

Need to do another test in bright daylight to make sure there's no vibes or jello sneaking in but this video does show I've finally cut down on the wobbles I was having. Plus the low light gives a cool motion blur effect
Mar 19, 2013, 03:37 PM
"woof"
Looks good there!
Mar 21, 2013, 05:40 PM
Aerial Gimp
I hope this isn't a silly question, but does anyone have any thoughts on using the stock dji 920kv motors on the QAV500? I'm sitting on a spare NAZA-M and six motors (and an assortment of 10" prop sets) that I'd love to build into a smaller quad than my current heavy lift hex. I imagine I might eventually upgrade the motors, but if I'm going to invest in a frame I'd love to get a QAV500.

Thoughts?
Mar 21, 2013, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergimp
I hope this isn't a silly question, but does anyone have any thoughts on using the stock dji 920kv motors on the QAV500? I'm sitting on a spare NAZA-M and six motors (and an assortment of 10" prop sets) that I'd love to build into a smaller quad than my current heavy lift hex. I imagine I might eventually upgrade the motors, but if I'm going to invest in a frame I'd love to get a QAV500.

Thoughts?
i think you would struggle to even hover. 4s might work, but these suckers are heavy, especially after loading up the fpv and cameras. you never know though, you might want to hit up ecalc.ch to see if they numbers are reasonable

that's always the qav400 which would probably work just fine with those motors on 4s
Mar 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
Anyone used the Tiger Motor MT-2216-11 900kv on the QAV500? Would they work ok? I have a stack of these "leftover" and could build 2 quads out of all my left over parts if the 2216 900s would work. Thoughts?
Mar 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemann
Anyone used the Tiger Motor MT-2216-11 900kv on the QAV500? Would they work ok? I have a stack of these "leftover" and could build 2 quads out of all my left over parts if the 2216 900s would work. Thoughts?
if you ran 10" props and 4s, those would probably work. i have those exact motors on my f450 and they pack some punch for how small they are
Mar 21, 2013, 10:26 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergimp
I hope this isn't a silly question, but does anyone have any thoughts on using the stock dji 920kv motors on the QAV500?
I'll be able to tell you if I ever get the missing parts of my QAV500 kit because that's exactly what I'm going to do for the time being. But I don't see why it won't work fine unless you plan on lifting Buicks with it.

The published frame weight of the DJI Flame Wheel 450 is 282g. Tim says (HERE) that the QAV450 frame weight is 450g. That means a QAV500 with Flame Wheel 450 gear on it is going to weigh 168g (~6oz) more than the Flame Wheel which may sound like a lot at face value, but people are adding gimbals and landing gear to otherwise stock 450s that weigh a lot more than 6oz and still picking up cameras with 'em.

Pete
Mar 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
Aerial Gimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I'll be able to tell you if I ever get the missing parts of my QAV500 kit because that's exactly what I'm going to do for the time being. But I don't see why it won't work fine unless you plan on lifting Buicks with it.

The published frame weight of the DJI Flame Wheel 450 is 282g. Tim says (HERE) that the QAV450 frame weight is 450g. That means a QAV500 with Flame Wheel 450 gear on it is going to weigh 168g (~6oz) more than the Flame Wheel which may sound like a lot at face value, but people are adding gimbals and landing gear to otherwise stock 450s that weigh a lot more than 6oz and still picking up cameras with 'em.

Pete
Yea, I'm picking up an 8mm rail system with a custom 2-axis gimbal carrying a micro 4-3 (Olympus Pen) on a F550 and, while it's not a speed demon, it's a stable AP platform. I'm converting that to heavy lift and so want to use the DJI motors on a lighter, more agile platform.
Mar 21, 2013, 11:54 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Maybe you should check out the QAV400. If I was going to leave the DJI motors on my QAV I'd probably be building one of those instead. But I'll eventually put some bigger motors on mine so it can carry my 1/2 lb Sony RX100 and I didn't think the 400 would have enough room between the props for that.

Pete
Mar 22, 2013, 10:12 AM
Aerial Gimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Maybe you should check out the QAV400. If I was going to leave the DJI motors on my QAV I'd probably be building one of those instead. But I'll eventually put some bigger motors on mine so it can carry my 1/2 lb Sony RX100 and I didn't think the 400 would have enough room between the props for that.

Pete
Well that's sort of my plan too. Having the spare gear around is really an excuse to build something else, and I can never leave well enough alone anyway, so I figure I wanted to get a frame I could expand upon.
Mar 22, 2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks for asking this. I was just thinking the same thing as my presoldered wires are a bit short to run to the motors from the labelled ESC pads. I will re do them if i have to but better if i don't
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
Are all of the +/- solder pads on the Power Distribution Board rated for ESC/motor power? In particular, can we power ESCs from the solder pads near the arm mounting holes instead of the ones in the center of the PDB?

Thanks.

Pete
Mar 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
FPV junkie
Great flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS
Finally getting my CC3D and QAV500 dialed in. Put on some new SunnySky 980kv motors with 9x5 Graupner props and that seems to help as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyHBSz6US0E

Need to do another test in bright daylight to make sure there's no vibes or jello sneaking in but this video does show I've finally cut down on the wobbles I was having. Plus the low light gives a cool motion blur effect
Mar 23, 2013, 09:57 AM
aka Helidaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson
Great flight
Thanks!
Mar 24, 2013, 01:34 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude

Flame Wheel 450 Running Gear in a QAV500

Ok, my stock FW-450 weighed 779g. less battery pack. As I mentioned, it was built stock with DJI motors, A Naza-M GPS, and had no landing gear or gimbal.

My QAV500 frame with the same gear on it weighs 974g or 195g more than the FW-450 weighed. With the Rib landing gear installed the QAV500 weighs 1012g or 233g more than the FW-450 weighed. Add my Hero3 (wearing a LayerLens) and a TP2100-4S and my AUW is 1296g which is 304g shy of DJI's published maximum takeoff weight for a stock FW-450 (1600g).

I'll fly it tomorrow with my data logger on board and post the results. It should fly ok but I doubt I'll be leaving the stock motors on for long.

Pete

Quick Reply