May 01, 2012, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
New Product

The new QAV500 FPV Quadcopter frame by fpvmanuals

This is the pre-release information of the new QAV500 FPV Quadcopter Frame by fpvmanuals. This frame is unique from other FPV focused quad frames for a number of reasons:

Vibration Isolation Design -- The QAV500 is separated into 2 parts: a "dirty" section and a "clean" section (patent pending). All electronics including flight camera, HD cameras, flight controller, etc. are located on the "clean" part of the frame and are isolated from the "dirty" motor/prop section by custom developed vibration bobbins. Reducing vibrations to the Flight Controller results in smoother flight performance. Reducing vibrations to the cameras results in smoother video quality.

3-Camera Mounts -- The frame accommodates 3 cameras: a forward facing HD cam (GoPro), a forward facing flight cam, and a downward facing HD cam (GoPro). The frame can be flown with all 3 cameras in operation at the same time due to a large and unique Lipo mounting area to optimize the CG.

Prop Free Video -- None of the cameras have any props in view even with 10" props.
Power and endurance -- The kit is designed to accommodate large multi-rotor motors in the 40mm stator diameter class like the Tiger MT-4006-13 or HK NX-4008. These motors require a 25x25mm and 19x19mm mounting hole pattern or a unique triangular mounting pattern. The kit is intended to be flown with large 4s Lipos. This power train provides lots of lift and long flight times. These motors and 10" props provide a hover time of 12 minutes with a 3300mah 4s Lipo while still landing the Lipo with 14.2 volts remaining under load (measured prior to landing).

Symmetrical Design -- Unlike other FPV focused quadcopters, the QAV500 is perfectly symmetrical. The motors are 500mm diagonal from motor shaft to motor shaft and the flight controller is centered at the CG point in the middle of the frame. This ensures that the motors/escs work equally hard and that the FC can apply consistant power to level the frame.

QAV500 flight with 3 cameras (1 min 51 sec)

Read more about this kit at http://fpvmanuals.com/qav500

Let me know what you think! Please provide feedback -- it will be considered in the eventual release of this frame.

Last edited by timnilson; May 08, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2012, 11:04 PM
Lets see some 1080p vid with aggressive maneuvering. If it's jello free, I'm buying. If not, I don't see what benefit it offers over the HT-FPV (since I already have one of those). I take that back, I like the multi-cam idea, but even then if it's not jello free it's not enough to push me to buy.

Good looking quad BTW, original.
May 01, 2012, 11:05 PM
Always Excel >>>
Very, very nice Tim;

Lots of room for the electronics, excellent motor mounts, the arms have lots of open area for the blade's wind go through and doesn't create that pounding vibration that many flat arms suffer from props. Kept it narrow, to keep everything close to center for better balancing. I don't see LG yet, is that coming?

What are the arms made of?

I think it would help you sell a lot of these if you create a table showing different "Suggested" configurations for motors, ESC, Props and Battery, this way 80% of people can select one of the combos and if you carry the parts at your store, they can just buy everything. Make it simple to make a decision.

I would highly suggest to incorporate some high intensity LED for the orientation (like three RED lights on the front).

When & how much?

Good luck, Great job!
..Ben
May 01, 2012, 11:06 PM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svede
Lets see some 1080p vid with aggressive maneuvering. If it's jello free, I'm buying. If not, I don't see what benefit it offers over the HT-FPV (since I already have one of those). I take that back, I like the multi-cam idea, but even then if it's not jello free it's not enough to push me to buy.

Found this:
QAV500 FPV Quad from fpvmanuals (1 min 40 sec)
May 01, 2012, 11:08 PM
It's 720
May 01, 2012, 11:12 PM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
It's 720
Are you shopping for video or quad?

He is showing no props in the video!
May 01, 2012, 11:15 PM
Video. If it can't offer jello free 1080p then it isn't really an improvement over most quads I've made for myself, and the HT-FPV that I'm flying. This quad is clearly directed at video.
May 01, 2012, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

Quote:
It's 720
Yes, the video I posted is obviously not so useful. The problem was very windy conditions in NYC over the past few days. I will see if I can find something shot in 1080p (which I did some and the results were good, but would be even better without that much wind blowing the quad around and the FC having to compensate).
May 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
Suspended Account
I'll take it for $59.95, I like the 4008 mounts, I got 4 of those motors back when HK first released them without realizing that the mounts were retarded triangle shaped with M2.5 thread...
May 01, 2012, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat
Very, very nice Tim;

Lots of room for the electronics, excellent motor mounts, the arms have lots of open area for the blade's wind go through and doesn't create that pounding vibration that many flat arms suffer from props. Kept it narrow, to keep everything close to center for better balancing. I don't see LG yet, is that coming?

What are the arms made of?

I think it would help you sell a lot of these if you create a table showing different "Suggested" configurations for motors, ESC, Props and Battery, this way 80% of people can select one of the combos and if you carry the parts at your store, they can just buy everything. Make it simple to make a decision.

I would highly suggest to incorporate some high intensity LED for the orientation (like three RED lights on the front).

When & how much?

Good luck, Great job!
..Ben
Thanks for your kind comment. The arms are made of machined 6061 aluminum and are super stiff without any flex. The quad is primarily targeted for FPV flying (not LOS), so I did not bother putting any LEDs on it. But you can always add them if you'd like. Also on the page for this quad at http://fpvmanuals.com/qav500 I started to create a table along the lines of what you're suggesting, but I should add more options like different motors... Thanks again for your feedback!
May 01, 2012, 11:33 PM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
I'll take it for $59.95, I like the 4008 mounts, I got 4 of those motors back when HK first released them without realizing that the mounts were retarded triangle shaped with M2.5 thread...
You're gonna be waiting a long time for that price...
May 01, 2012, 11:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
Yes, I agree with you on the triangular mounting hole strangeness. But, the motors are very good considering the price, I think. So this quad has the mounting holes to mount the 4008 motors.

The price will unfortunately be higher than 59.95 and a good bit above the HT FPV Quad. The idea was to create a quad that provides you great FPV and video quality out of the box without the need to add expensive gimbals or other camera mounting methods. It's not a true videography set-up like a hexa with a photohigher gimbal hanging below it, but a solid FPV quad that produces good looking video at the same time. Similar concept to the Pro Tricopter Kit we sell at fpvmanuals.com.
May 01, 2012, 11:36 PM
Always Excel >>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson
Thanks for your kind comment. The arms are made of machined 6061 aluminum and are super stiff without any flex. The quad is primarily targeted for FPV flying (not LOS), so I did not bother putting any LEDs on it. But you can always add them if you'd like. Also on the page for this quad at http://fpvmanuals.com/qav500 I started to create a table along the lines of what you're suggesting, but I should add more options like different motors... Thanks again for your feedback!
Exactly! Just expand it with FC and then carry the parts, so one can go there and get everything. Otherwise, if they can't the parts, they won't buy the frame.
May 01, 2012, 11:37 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat
You're gonna be waiting a long time for that price...

That's how much Quad_Addict was selling his milled aluminum/acrylic frames for and I don't see much more material used here?
May 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
looks cool! I have a simular frame. It is 20" motor to motor making it a 700 so it folds for easy transport. whats the largest prop size your frame fits?

Quick Reply