This thread is privately moderated by shmed, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blade 400

well I have flown planes for about three years now and recently had a chance to acquire a crashed Blade 400 for next to nothing due to the owners frustration. I have been wanting to break into helis for a bit now but don't have the money to drop on a decent heli so I was ecstatic when this opportunity came along. although it was a little more damaged than the person first led me to believe, which I kinda expected, it was still only going to cost me $80 to get it in the air I'm pretty happy.

So I have found going throughout the heli looking for damages and bends and what not I have found I definitely need to replace the tail rotor shaft maybe the belt two of the servoes main blades tail blades and my lhs guy said the main shaft needed to be replaced and I already grabbed a feathering shaft but the previous owner seemed to have disassembled the feathering shaft and lost some of the washers and that was disappointing to find.

but all in all it was an amazing deal even just for the radio itself would have been worth it. its very interesting all the stuff i've learn just in the past two days about the heli and am very nervous to fly it but I have a flight sim that I started playing with helis on a while back and have gotten pretty good at hovering and forward flight but i guess worse case scenario it crashes which sh#$t happens.

And I have a question for anyone who may have some incite I'm basically looking to replace all the required parts for the feathering spindle. DOES the complete Blade 400 hardware kit have those parts or is there another kit i need anything would help.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2012, 12:33 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Replace the O-rings while you're in there. They're the same as the ones for the old Blade CP and they're sold as an "O-rings and tubing" kit. You'll get four O-rings along with some tubing normally used to hold the frame of the CP together.

Use just a tiny bit of some sort of grease, like diff lube or Radio Shack Lube Gel. There are four very thin shims and a stepped washer between the blade grip and rotor head. The shims go against the O-rings and the step on the washer faces the bearing on the rotor grip.\

Here's a great resource:

http://www.slyster.com/heli/b400bible.html
May 02, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the input one of the O-rings looks a little cut into I can't imagine how that happened I'll be sure to replace those for sure. But When I took out the feathering spindle I was being somewhat careless with the inner workings but the next day when I realized how important the inner assembly was I regathered all the parts and I know for a fact I didn't loose any and there are some parts missing. It needs a whole lot of work still but I'm going at it slowly because I know if I go at this to fast I will end up at square one with a busted helicopter.

I have another question about the drive belt for the tail rotor.
when do you know it needs to be replaced. I looked at it and it seems the teeth arent worn too bad but there are some fibers exposed. I don't need any chance of mechanical failure in the air or I will be very sad.

Quick Reply