This thread is privately moderated by surfimp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 01, 2012, 05:10 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Thread OP
Cool

Introducing UltraBatics

UltraBatics is short for “Ultralight Slope Aerobatics” and refers to 3 or 4 axis aerobatic gliders that are ultra-lightweight, ultra-maneuverable, and ultra-durable. Hence, UltraBatic.

The UltraBatics movement started here in Santa Barbara, California in the summer of 2011 and is now spreading around the world. UltraBatics is the product of collaboration between myself Steve “Surfimp” Lange, “Swiss Peter” Richner, and Dawson Henderson of Flagstaff, Arizona.

Combining ultralight building techniques perfected by Peter with my Le Fish aerobatics glider design and Dawson’s innovative Henderson Pulley, we were able to create ultralight versions of the plane that were less than 1/2 the normal weight, allowing a radically new style of extremely close-in, low altitude flying in very light lift. These planes are fully aerobatic in as little as 6-8mph at a decent slope, but can also fly in 20-25mph and thermal, too.

UltraBatics gliders – “UItraBats” – are generally constructed from EPP and/or Depron foam, are covered in lightweight yet very durable laminating film, use minimal carbon fiber spars for reinforcement, and generally have wingloadings in the 4 – 6 oz/sq.ft. (12-20 g/dm^2) range. Some of the most radical examples employ Madslide-inspired horizontal stabilizers, controlled by Henderson Pulleys, which are capable of 180° rotation. This allows them to do radical filp maneuvers in the style invented by Benoit Paysant-Le Roux.

UltraBatics is takes inspiration from three main sources:
1. Core inspiration: the Dream-Flight Alula and Weasel
2. The Madslide aerobatics glider of Benoit Paysant-Le Roux of France
3. The French VTPR (“voltige tres pres du relief” aka “aerobatics very close to the ground”) flying style

The intention of UltraBatics is to explore new possibilites in slope aerobatics. We are limited only by what we can imagine.

See you in the future,

Steve 'surfimp' Lange
SlopeAerobatics.com

- - - - - - - - - -

Core videos representing what the UltraBatics style is all about:

UltraBatics California Style (4 min 15 sec)

Flips and Spins with Le Fish Light (2 min 47 sec)

Natural Mystic (3 min 36 sec)

- - - - - - - - - -

Introducing UltraBatics: an open letter to the global slope aerobatics community
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
Can't wait to get my alula. There is something addicting about this kind of flying. I have flown 3d helicopters and airplanes, gliders and jets, my favorite are these things. It's hard to explain but it seems to be a real pure form of flight.
May 04, 2012, 07:30 PM
Steve, Im hoping you can come by and give me and my flying buddies a demonstration on some ultrabatics soon!! My friend Cliff has a LeFish and has flown it a few times but I havnt really seen him do anything crazy with it yet. Another one of my friends is building a Madslide. He should be close to finishing it soon. I've been wanting something to fly ultrabatics for awhile now.
May 12, 2012, 11:00 PM
flyin' fool
The Aero-Glide.........ingenious, amazing, wonderful, great stuff and looks like super silly fun.

Keep it coming, you've got my lil' grey cells swimming with ideas, at least what's left of them.
Last edited by goldguy; May 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply