Oct 29, 2003, 09:43 PM
Thread OP

wattage cap 232

hello all,

well, I just finished my cap 232 and flew it first with the cobalt motor geared 2-1 with a 8x8 apc prop and 9 cell kans...then tried a mega 16/15/7 with a 9x6 apc prop. both flights went well with the cobalt setup running hot with about a 3.5 min. run and the mega setup only warm with a 5+mim run. (will stay with the mega). anyway my only problem so far seems to be when flying into any amount of wind the plane almost stands on its tail...my CG is at the recommended spot and balances perfect, very little trim was needed and she flies inverted with almost no elevator input...turns very nice and when flying down wind is hands off level, but when I turn her into the wind she will almost go vertical all by herself with no input from me will do this even at almost no throttle or at wide open throttle does not seem to matter. first time I have had a plane act like this....I have tried moving the CG around but does not effect. anyone have any ideas???
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2003, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
wow what a nice day today...no wind at all and temps are in the low 70s. anyway, I put 4 more flights on my cap today and after lowering my ailerons a little and putting my CG back as far as recommended (2.5 in.) she flew much better. very little wind so who knows...flew strait and level. all around nice plane. scott.
Nov 01, 2003, 12:06 AM
i like this plane and i have a mega.what battery,and the flying weight.the crazy 8 was a nice plane for 2 flights. thanks tom
Nov 01, 2003, 03:07 PM
Thread OP
tom.

my full flying weight is a heafty 28ozs, and that is with a 9 cell kan 1050 nimh battery with deans connectors...I could run a lighter 8 cell and prop it different and lose some weight, but I like it like this as she flies in wind better,(it seems to always be windy here). I am going to go with a mega 4 turn geared 2 to 1 for much better vertical as the mega 7 turn has nice speed but the climb rate is lacking for me....scott.
Nov 01, 2003, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
since my last run I have went another 8 flights and really had a chance to trim it out nice... I can now run at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle into the wind and this annoying pitch up problem is gone... the main problem was when I set up my ailerons during the build I left them in a flexed up position which was acting like having some up elevator dialed in, really seemed to affect flying at high speed into the wind and not so much of a problem slower speeds and with the wind. ....lowered these and pitch up problem gone....flies good for now. cant wait to try the mega 4 turn geared, that will be here on the 4th or 5th.
Nov 01, 2003, 07:09 PM
Sailplane Mafia
I had my first successfull day with my Cap. I am using a Mega 1617/4, 2.5 gearbox, 10x7 prop with a TP 2100Li-Po (Deans). I also have no landing gear.

I am running at the recommended CG and also found it climbs like crazy when going into the wind. Yet downwind it's flies level hands off. I also found the elevator to be very touchy even with 35% expo and dual rate at 65% of the recommended throws.

I was not running with the battery hatch so I don't know if that would effect the flight characterisics.
Last edited by gquiring; Nov 01, 2003 at 07:12 PM.
Nov 01, 2003, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
yes sounds just like my first few flights...weird how this plane acts like it does, everything seems sensitive.....I still find the elevator so sensitive even at 50%expo and 60% end point that if my elevator servo does not center perfect it will also act as if suddenely its climbing, then ill do a loop or something and suddenly its diving... all because I cant get my servo to center just right....not real bad but I have to look into it and see whats going on. at least the CG is not too touchy, I flew it at 3 inches back and still could control it just fine, just took forever to come down, and really wanted to climb. scott.
Nov 01, 2003, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
found that having my end point adjustments set very low for unwanted elevator travel and having lots of expo dialed in, was not allowing my servo to center properly, I set all to default then went and set elevator throws less by adjusting in two holes closer to servo center, on the control horn. servo centers just fine now. test fly again sunday am. should cure any unwanted pitching and diveing problems.
Nov 02, 2003, 10:18 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Talk about weird, I checked my elevator servo and it has no desire to return to zero!! It is all over the place. I dialed out the expo and rates and it is no better. I hate these servos I got anyway (HES-888). I think I will ground the plane until I can get some decent JR 248's.
Nov 02, 2003, 10:44 AM
Thread OP
wow, yeh I would wait, to nice looking to crash. 5 flights this am seems ok, but still has some bad habits to watch out for, next flights will be with mega 4 turn and 2 to1 mega gear inline. should have it in by the 5th, I hope....scott.
Nov 02, 2003, 03:18 PM
I just bought a cap too and am hesitating about wich motor to use. I have mega 16/15/6 and mega 22/10/6. I think I would choose the last one for more aerobatics. What do you think?
Nov 02, 2003, 05:41 PM
Sailplane Mafia
WOW!!! I installed all JR 241's and it's a HUGE difference. The plane flies on rails. Super smooth. Those HES-888 servos from Balsa products stink!! I spoke to another 888 user and sure enough all of his 888's act the same way.

Do you know of anyone that stocks Wattage spares? I need a new cowl.

I am one happy camper now that I got this plane going. It is my first electric plane.
Nov 02, 2003, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
I dont know all the specs on mega 22 series motors, but I am pretty sure they are the more powerful motor at a higher amp usage??? not sure. the 16/15/6 is ok, but probably not what you want for strong moves on this heavy a plane. thats why im going to go geared with a low wind mega for same or better speed, and much better climb........................... I know hobby people has all wattage spare parts, but they are out of stock on the cowl , I need one too ..I am using a wattage giles g-202 cowl as a temp replacement until cap 232 cowl is in stock...it fits with little mods,( screws in further out on the nose) and is in stock at hobby people at $5.00. it comes blue with no stripes and looks ok. scott
Nov 06, 2003, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
wow, flew 8 flights today on new power setup, mega 16/15/4 with 2-1 mega gearbox with a mas 9x6e prop and 9 kan 1050s.

man, what a difference in the climb and speed, I liked the speed before with the 7 turn, but it is even faster with this. since the batts were not all that warm, after the 3rd or 4th flight I tried a 9.5x7 aeronaut carbon prop, shot straite up and was very fast, batts a little hot, so I went back to the mas 9x6e which seems about right with very good flight times,(about 6-7 strong min. with plenty left to taxi back). a keeper! all the bugs sorted out except when pulling tight loops, she will cork screw bad. have to check elevator for uneven flexing under pressure as I am sure that is the cause, may have to re-enforce some how. scott.
Nov 07, 2003, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
well, after doing much research over the last few weeks, I have decided to go with a kokam charger and 2- 3 cell kokam 1500 packs in parallel (3s2p). not going to save any weight over the 9 cell kans that I run now, but my duration should be much better just getting tired of swapping batteries so much. anyone that reads this far have these batteries in a 14-16 amp aplication? and if so what flight times are you getting ( roughly)... I am going to use a hobby lobby parallel module to connect the two packs. we will see how it works out in a few days. scott.

Quick Reply