May 01, 2012, 12:27 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hey guys just want to know what you think?

I'm a rc plane noobie. But i am intrigued with the hobby. So for my first plane, i thought maybe the hobbyking rad jet 800 for my first plane. Of course keepig it pretty tame. Just wanted to know what you guys thnk, thanks a million in advance.

to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2012, 12:39 AM
Kinda like giving a teenager with a learners permit a Dodge Viper for a first car.
May 01, 2012, 12:48 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
That plane is not for beginners. Also I recommend avoiding sites like hobbyking/nitroplanes/bananahobby for your first couple planes until you're more experienced. The planes they sell may require some work to get flying and their support is not good. Check reseller ratings for those websites and you'll see what I mean. Also the quality control on those planes are not always as good as other brands.

I would recommend getting a Hobbyzone Super Cub DSM RTF. It has excellent support and parts are available in most local hobby shops here in the U.S. (assuming you live here). Once you are comfortable flying that you can modify the wing, adding ailerons to it and learn to fly 4-channel with it (guide for doing that here, the brushless upgrade is optional and not needed for the aileron upgrade). You can pick one up from amainhobbies.com for $167.49 (when you use the coupon code "CALPMAR1212") including shipping in the U.S. It comes with everything you need to fly it.

While you're at it I would also give Six Keys to Success for New Pilots a read, as well as other threads here on the forum. It may seem a bit daunting at first but give it time and it'll all eventually fall into place.
May 01, 2012, 12:57 AM
HUGE Ditto.

A beginner trying to fly that plane is almost a guaranteed crash in the first few seconds.

Something like Flyzone Sensi, or Switch, or E flite Apprentice would be much more appropriate. A Bixler would be a low $ option. Even then, getting some time on a simulator and hooking up with someone experienced to help would be hugely helpful.
May 01, 2012, 07:49 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
sire you have gotten some sound advice. While HobbyKings prices are attractive their planes are not for the inexperienced, I'll give you an example. This past Friday my brothers plane he ordered from them arrived at his house, it was an Atom. He spent about 5 hours working on a plane that supposedly was ready to fly out of the box. After putting the bits together and binding the rx he went to test control surfaces, turns out both servos were bound up. A bit of surgery later (we had to cut out a large access hole on the bottom of the fuse to get to the servos) we realized that glue had trickled down the pushrod guides from the factory. We had to remove both guides and cut out about half of each guide to free them.

Had a beginner gotten this plane it would have been a disaster. He did call and complain, but he still has a flying aircraft so all is not lost.

For you first plane please ignore HK. Get something you can walk into a local hobby shop and buy replacement parts off the shelf for, you will get much more enjoyment out of it, you may spend a bit more but in the long run your rc experience at first will be much easier.

I do order from HobbyKing and fairly regularly. So don't completely discount them, his bad plane experience may be 1 of 100/1000 who knows, but you really don't want to be that 1.

Welcome to the hobby.
May 01, 2012, 07:53 AM
Short answer.......you will crash it.
May 01, 2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sire162
I'm a rc plane noobie. But i am intrigued with the hobby. So for my first plane, i thought maybe the hobbyking rad jet 800 for my first plane. Of course keepig it pretty tame. Just wanted to know what you guys thnk, thanks a million in advance.

On the troll meter, not even a 1.
May 01, 2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne
That plane is not for beginners. Also I recommend avoiding sites like hobbyking/nitroplanes/bananahobby for your first couple planes until you're more experienced. The planes they sell may require some work to get flying and their support is not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik
While HobbyKings prices are attractive their planes are not for the inexperienced
I have to agree with HK planes not being for beginners. I've been flying a Champ and an Ember2 for a little while now and ordered a third plane from HK recently. It's not that it was difficult to put together, I've done a lot of research, but I still found myself having to check the internet several times during the assembly to find out how simple things like servos should be plugged in. In the end, I actually had to make several assumptions about how to hook things up based on what seemed logical for most electrical applications. Turns out my assumptions were correct, but I definitely wouldn't be recommending the plane for a beginner.
Last edited by Brewshooter; May 01, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
May 01, 2012, 04:08 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Run away!!!!!
May 01, 2012, 04:20 PM
Can't Afford the Real Thing
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16604
It is out of stock ATM. USA store

I learned, still am learning on this. I went and grabbed a new dx8 as my starter radio(bonus 2 receivers). you can get a 9ch cheap on eBay and online hobby shops.
After flying on phoenix and using flaps, I found landings to be much easier with them. This is cheap, durable, and if you smash her up beyond repair(good luck) It's cheap to replace. I Have fun with her, put s 3s 20c 3000 and I get 23 minutes.

I just added a carbon fibre rod the length of the wingspan to strengthen up($5) and take a little bit of wind.

Get pheonix or real flight flight sim, extremely beneficial. I taught myself to fly, this made the real thing easier.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6331
International

Scott
Last edited by Pilot420; May 01, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
May 01, 2012, 06:56 PM
Thread OP

Thanks guys for all your advice.

I really do appreciate you all. I'm a guy heli about move into the 450 size helis, but i'm still learning, and have a ways yet to go. so i thought planes would be nice while i'm getting my heli skills together. I have the phoenix simulator, and i spend about a half hour on each a day helis and planes. I especially like to fly the fun jet on the simulator. I go to the park near the house, and all the guys for the most part all have strykers about 7 of em. That's why i started this thread,and asked for your opions. Once again thank you all so much.
May 02, 2012, 09:24 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
I've seen the Strykers I'm just not much into them it's the RC equivalent of watching tennis.
May 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
who put that tree there
lol

Quick Reply