Thread Tools
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:17 PM
grfcon is offline
Find More Posts by grfcon
chronic in training
grfcon's Avatar
Question

maximizing Lam film application


What is a preferred method. I will be covering a standard 60" chevron /\
wing. Assuming 4 halves top and bottom.. how much overlap have you guys used.. this is for a scout bee which will be DS'd.

thx,

Gary
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
Aerogance is offline
Find More Posts by Aerogance
The hobby is back! Lets fly!
Aerogance's Avatar
Assuming you have a proper spar and bias tape, you can get away with no overlap. If you didn't bias tape, maybe overlap 1" minimum.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:59 AM
spotterone is offline
Find More Posts by spotterone
Can you DS it??
spotterone's Avatar
Is the scout bee a constant airfoil from root to tip? If so, it might be easier to do one full piece on the bottom, and another on top.

On all my chevron wings, and on all my JW's, I use that method. I also use NO TAPE. The leading edge of the bottom piece comes up to the point of the leading edge where it is cut off, then the top sheet overlaps over the front by 1/2". Any longer and it gets painful to try to get straight. I leave 2 or 3" hanging over the front on the top sheet and pull it around the leading edge, trying to get it as straight as possible. I iron down the first 1/4" or so on the underside, then cut it off 1/2" from the leading edge. I've never had any laminating film come away from the 1/2" overlap, and never felt the need for any tape, even if I have the standard spars in say a JW60. I do, however have a carbon trailing edge spar, and the laminating film is just cut off without any wrapping. The carbon trailing edge spar is visible after I've laminated the whole wing. The only thing wrapping over it is the coloured covering film I use at the end.
Old May 01, 2012, 12:57 PM
dsman is offline
Find More Posts by dsman
More like crunchman....
dsman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotterone View Post
Is the scout bee a constant airfoil from root to tip? If so, it might be easier to do one full piece on the bottom, and another on top.

On all my chevron wings, and on all my JW's, I use that method. I also use NO TAPE. The leading edge of the bottom piece comes up to the point of the leading edge where it is cut off, then the top sheet overlaps over the front by 1/2". Any longer and it gets painful to try to get straight. I leave 2 or 3" hanging over the front on the top sheet and pull it around the leading edge, trying to get it as straight as possible. I iron down the first 1/4" or so on the underside, then cut it off 1/2" from the leading edge. I've never had any laminating film come away from the 1/2" overlap, and never felt the need for any tape, even if I have the standard spars in say a JW60. I do, however have a carbon trailing edge spar, and the laminating film is just cut off without any wrapping. The carbon trailing edge spar is visible after I've laminated the whole wing. The only thing wrapping over it is the coloured covering film I use at the end.
Do you apply a 'breather' layer of tissue over the lamfilm before applying the coloured oracover/whatever film?
Or have you been able to apply the final cover directly to the lamfilm without any bubbling ocurring?
Old May 01, 2012, 01:56 PM
grfcon is offline
Find More Posts by grfcon
chronic in training
grfcon's Avatar

single vs double piece of film?


scout bee has great spar system already in place..so tape will not be needed.

problem with single piece per side is the sweep ( /\ ) is just about 2 feet so I would have to get at 24" wide roll of lam film.

how much strength do you think is lost if film is overlapped instead?
Old May 01, 2012, 06:44 PM
spotterone is offline
Find More Posts by spotterone
Can you DS it??
spotterone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman View Post
Do you apply a 'breather' layer of tissue over the lamfilm before applying the coloured oracover/whatever film?
Or have you been able to apply the final cover directly to the lamfilm without any bubbling ocurring?
No breather layers. I just rough up the lam film with 80 grit paper, spray 3M77 and lay the final cover down while it's still wet. I use my coverite iron set at 150 degrees C and tilt it a little so I'm kinda using the edge of the iron, and I push the bubbles out. If I do get bubbles stuck in the middle, I just pop them with a scalpel and iron it all down hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon View Post
scout bee has great spar system already in place..so tape will not be needed.

problem with single piece per side is the sweep ( /\ ) is just about 2 feet so I would have to get at 24" wide roll of lam film.

how much strength do you think is lost if film is overlapped instead?
No need for a 24" wide roll, just turn the wing 90 degrees!

I don't think too much strength is lost, but it's another fail point in a highly stressed area so I avoid it where possible.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! look for about 11 feet of 10 mil lam film in L.A. grfcon Slope 1 Mar 15, 2012 03:20 PM
Wanted anybody got any 10 mil lam film in L.A. I could buy? grfcon Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 15, 2012 12:01 PM
Wanted anybody got any 10 mil lam film in L.A. I could buy? grfcon Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 15, 2012 12:00 PM
Help! anybody got any 10 mil lam film in L.A. I could buy? grfcon Dynamic Soaring 0 Mar 15, 2012 11:57 AM
Discussion Team Monkey Swinger 60" Lam film - VIDEO Hexosex Slope 37 Oct 28, 2009 06:43 AM