Dec 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
U down with EPP? Ya U know me!
So for a record-contender K2M, what do you recommend for servos. (unlimited budget)

For a "normal" K2M, what would the recommended servos be? (lower budget)

Thanks again Spencer for taking the time and initiative on this K2M project, it is a very exciting plane in many ways.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2012, 08:51 PM
608 km/h!
Those new hitec servos sound amazing!
Dec 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Awesome Spencer! Thanks so much!
Dec 22, 2012, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
Aaron,

Alan Cocconi has created the ultimate servo for the K2m (and most F3F/B/J planes for that matter)! He made a MKS DS6125 based servo that has 1.6x the torque, runs on any voltage you want, has fully programmable rotation, moves at about 0.06sec/60deg, and has circuitry that prevents you from ever burning up the motor even if the servo is stalled for hours on end! That is the ULTIMATE SERVO! I'm looking forward to the day when these are widely available!!!

Until then, I think you'd be hard pressed to do better than standard MKS DS6125 on all surfaces running on a 4cell Nimh pack. Put them in the Smartmodel frames with external bearings with aluminum arms and you have my setup for all-out speed attempts.

One step down would be to use MKS without the bearing frames. They're probably not absolutely necessary just a very nice touch if you elect to use them.

My next approach would be if you already have some DS378/398/388 then they would be a good alternative and shouldn't cause any problems. Not as easy of a fit in the aileron bay but still doable. I think you trade a little precision and geartrain/bearing tightness for a little more torque. But if you're buying new servos, then theres not really any major savings to be had going that route.

Next stop is the Hitec HS7115th. Again not a big money saver but they are certainly easier to fit inside. I do worry about the small geartrains on bad landings, and the lower torque at high loads or in rough air... I recon that they would be good to 350mph if you install them with the Fu Fix external bearings.

Last choice would be hitec 5125mg or Hyperion DS095fmd. But, people often complain about the long term viability of either of these, so you have to wonder if you're really saving any money in the long term.

Theres no doubt some other choices that I'm forgetting so let me know if you guys are aware of any other thin (10-11mm) servos that we should be considering.

I'm really pleased with the K2m! I got to fly my medium weight (85oz) version at Weldon last week in some decent air (25-36mph) and got something like 358mph. Considerably better speed for the wind than I've become accustomed to. Seems the 10x multiple historically has become harder and harder to achieve as the speeds increase but not the case on that day with that plane... Couldn't be happier! Did I mention that the K2m really LOVES to be flown hard??!!

Spencer
Dec 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
Alan & those servo's sound amazing !!!! More pics of the sexiest plane on earth ..
Dec 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
There is only DS
... Couldn't be happier! Did I mention that the K2m really LOVES to be flown hard??!!

Spencer[/QUOTE]

But do you need ROCK HARD AB'S to fly it. because then there's no way I could fly one then.

Congrats on building a awesome model Spencer.

Love ya work mate.
Dec 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
Here ya go -

6 MINUTE ABS OF STEEL AB WORKOUT! (5 min 8 sec)
Dec 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post

But do you need ROCK HARD AB'S to fly it. because then there's no way I could .
Nope I was able to fly the skinny little girl...

Belly didn't get in the way!

This planes something new

;-)
Dec 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
More like crunchman....
I believe this one better matches the perfection of the K2M.
Dec 23, 2012, 05:55 PM
Auzzie built planks
I think she has a lower AR.

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Dec 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Will the larger MKS 6125's fit?
I want a flouro red/blue please.
Latest blog entry: JW48 - Lightweight DS Build
Dec 25, 2012, 12:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
Will the larger MKS 6125's fit?
I want a flouro red/blue please.
Yes, and Yes!!! Check PM!
Dec 25, 2012, 12:23 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
Yes please, that's what I want. Gonna be up at the lake in the next 10 days?
Latest blog entry: JW48 - Lightweight DS Build
Dec 25, 2012, 01:05 AM
Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll914 View Post
Yes, and Yes!!! Check PM!
Is the tail fading to yellow, or is that just the light? Love the orange, at any rate.
Dec 25, 2012, 01:44 AM
quickee
Very Very nice Spencer
No need to say more
-Ron-

Quick Reply