Discussion

Football players are a joke.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...lsu-cornerback

With a worthy commentary on it...

NFL's Wonderlic Test... (2 min 2 sec)
Latest blog entry: ...
Apr 28, 2012, 08:01 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Why? Does someone have to be book smart to play a position in the nfl?

The joke is the moron losing his mind in the video. The nfl isn't what's wrong with our education system.
Apr 28, 2012, 08:30 AM
GTH NFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492
The nfl isn't what's wrong with our education system.
Nope, it's the NBA.
Apr 28, 2012, 08:34 AM
Get One Up!!!
Must admit, the notion that professional athletes should have a degree has always seemed a very strange one indeed. Guess it's just a throwback to the game being so entrenched in the college system.
Apr 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
Random Pic #23982
College football is a feeder program for the NFL. Colleges have turned their own programs in to academic jokes. Do not blame football, blame the NCAA and College Trustees.
Apr 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
College football is a feeder program for the NFL. Colleges have turned their own programs in to academic jokes. Do not blame football, blame the NCAA and College Trustees.
Excellent post.

I hope this guy takes his medication before he goes out in public.

Personally, I wish all athletes were paid whatever any student worker is paid for their practice and skull (what a joke) sessions. It is semi professional and has little to do with student athletes (of which there are many).

As for Terry Bradshaw, I would imagine that he was learning disabled. For those that don't know, being classed a learning disabled means you have very high and very low scores in different area which means that some processes just don't function correctly. Terry is not a fool nor stupid and he was one hell of an athlete.

One last thought, the NFL should go back to leather helmets and no face guards.....that would change the game for the better.
Apr 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Must admit, the notion that professional athletes should have a degree has always seemed a very strange one indeed. Guess it's just a throwback to the game being so entrenched in the college system.
Little and big Bamber of the 70's Liverpool team were both university graduates, I seem to recall. Pegasus, a team formed entirely of Oxbridge graduates also won the FA Amateur Cup.
Apr 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
Get One Up!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
Little and big Bamber of the 70's Liverpool team were both university graduates, I seem to recall. Pegasus, a team formed entirely of Oxbridge graduates also won the FA Amateur Cup.
Big Bamber and Little Bamber were class acts and bright blokes too. Steve Coppull was another University of Liverpool graduate. The thing is they were not there on a sports scholarship, or with any special; treatment, they just happened to be students who became professional footballers.
Apr 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
Excellent post.

Personally, I wish all athletes were paid whatever any student worker is paid for their practice and skull (what a joke) sessions. It is semi professional and has little to do with student athletes (of which there are many).

As for Terry Bradshaw, I would imagine that he was learning disabled. For those that don't know, being classed a learning disabled means you have very high and very low scores in different area which means that some processes just don't function correctly. Terry is not a fool nor stupid and he was one hell of an athlete.

One last thought, the NFL should go back to leather helmets and no face guards.....that would change the game for the better.
Good point.
Apr 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
This is just a backlash at the until recently 1%ers. The Professional athlete making Big bucks. My nephew is a pro Baseball player and before he went into Pro sports, he made sure he completed his degree. The vast Majority of Pro sports players now are looking at having skills outside of their sport because they all know their careers will end at some point.
Apr 28, 2012, 01:15 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
Excellent post.

I actually agree with all of this post - right up until the idiotic last sentence, which is at least the second time you've posted that.

Apparently you think concussions and face injuries somehow "add" to the game.
Apr 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
At SIUE, we got into the scholar athlete mind set. I had a number of athletes in class. With two memorable exceptions, they were diligent, responsible, and good to really good students. At one time SIUE was the only university have been national champion in soccer in both Division 1 and Division 2.

We had a student come in who had played football for a major university. He had wanted to be an engineer, but was told to major in physical education. He graduated with a degree in physical education which did not qualify him to teach PE. He came to us to get the teaching credentials. The guy was a top student.
Apr 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
I actually agree with all of this post - right up until the idiotic last sentence, which is at least the second time you've posted that.

The majority of the head injuries are sustained by a defender tackling an offensive player while leading with his head. The defender gets his head jammed resulting in a neck or back injury. If the players didn't have protective head gear, they would have to change their tackling techniques to avoid using their head. It's not as far fetched an idea as you may think. Think Rugby.
Apr 28, 2012, 03:45 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer

Idiotic possibly, but I would imagine spearing would stop in a heartbeat.
Apr 28, 2012, 03:46 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shaw
The majority of the head injuries are sustained by a defender tackling an offensive player while leading with his head. The defender gets his head jammed resulting in a neck or back injury. If the players didn't have protective head gear, they would have to change their tackling techniques to avoid using their head. It's not as far fetched an idea as you may think. Think Rugby.
My thoughts exactly and better stated.

Quick Reply