PL8 and Two MPA Boards, Daisy Chained? - RC Groups
Apr 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
Question

PL8 and Two MPA Boards, Daisy Chained?

Hi All

I see that you can daisy chain to MPA boards together, so as i understand it, you would have-

Both Boards banana plugs into the charger (PL8)
PL8 Balance Plug to MPA Board 1
MPA Board 1 Daisy Chained to Board 2

Question 1
Is the above the correct wiring setup?

Question 2
I notice my PL8 only gives the option of 9 cells connected in parallel in the 'parallel charge' menu. Assuming i have 12 batteries connected to the two MPA boards, what settings so i use to get it to charge correctly?

Thanks

Matt
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
BVH
BVH
Unless there's another way, I'd take my desired charge rate per battery, x's 12, divide by 9 and use that figure for your charge rate on the charge tab (and selecting "9" for parallel when asked). I'm making the assumption that all packs are the same capacity or at least, that the smallest pack can safely take the final charge rate number.
Apr 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragster
Hi All

I see that you can daisy chain to MPA boards together, so as i understand it, you would have-

Both Boards banana plugs into the charger (PL8)
PL8 Balance Plug to MPA Board 1
MPA Board 1 Daisy Chained to Board 2

Question 1
Is the above the correct wiring setup?

Question 2
I notice my PL8 only gives the option of 9 cells connected in parallel in the 'parallel charge' menu. Assuming i have 12 batteries connected to the two MPA boards, what settings so i use to get it to charge correctly?

Thanks

Matt
Hi:

The above setup is correct. This is the cable one would need to daisy chain the balance ports:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...2/MPA-XH-X10_2

As far as PL settings go, if you exceed 9P, I would just answer "no" to the Parallel Charge question during start charge and enter the total AMPS manually as current desired per battery pack * 12. The fact that PL will do the work for you for parallel charging through 9P is a convenience for sure, but nothing says you one can't do it the old fashioned way when 9P is exceeded.

Tim Marks
Apr 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks very much for the clarification

Matt
Feb 10, 2013, 07:04 AM
Is there a firmware adjustment comming for this? My friends and i all have 2 mpa boards as well and it would be a huge pain to allow up to 12 packs to calculate out of the charger. The 9 pack limitation is kind of dated.
Feb 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonf08
Is there a firmware adjustment comming for this? My friends and i all have 2 mpa boards as well and it would be a huge pain to allow up to 12 packs to calculate out of the charger. The 9 pack limitation is kind of dated.
When we have to rely on a charger to do basic math I think the human race is dated.
Feb 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
The 9 pack limitation is kind of dated.
I'm curious as to how true this statement is. From what I see, most users are parallel charging only two packs, or four packs at a time. Sometimes six packs, but rarely more than that.

What are some of the scenarios where more than 9 packs are being charged in parallel? How common is this? I didn't see it mentioned in the firmware requests thread which is an indication there isn't widespread interest.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1347970
Feb 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
When we have to rely on a charger to do basic math I think the human race is dated.
I disagree with your statement. If you are charging packs for air use then most of the people in my region charge as many as possible at once "parallel" using the powerlab 8 to do this quickly. Basically we all carry around 24 batteries to the field. So if a charger has the ability to parallel with a feature that helps make this easy by doing the math for us then limiting at 9 doesn't make sense. Especially when they sell MPA boards that charge in increments of 6.

BTW, way to "support the hobby". Why don't you find somewhere else to be negative to people's comments / questions and use the forums to promote the hobby instead
Last edited by jasonf08; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Feb 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
I have to agree with the others, I think majority of users don't parallel charge in that quantity. With high power charging the norm has become to charge a few batteries fast and often rather then a large quantity slowly and once.

You take 24 batteries to the field just for yourself? Wow you must fly non-stop when you are there.
Feb 11, 2013, 01:39 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
Quote:
If you are charging packs for air use then most of the people in my region charge as many as possible at once "parallel" using the powerlab 8 to do this quickly. Basically we all carry around 24 batteries
Thanks the details. I will say that is not common from what I can tell. With high power charging, modelers tend to reduce the total number of packs they have and charge at the field. In my case, I only have two flight packs for my 600 and 700 helicopters. Last season I ran the 700 with a single flight pack.

But I do understand the other side of the coin. Generators are expensive and all that extra field support equipment is a lot to haul around. So can see the scenario where you charge a lot of packs, and leave the charger at home. However, I still do wonder how common this is as its not come up a lot. I see you added it to the firmware request page which is the right way to get FMA visibility into the request.
Feb 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah, i have 12, 3s-2200, 12, 3s-1300, and 6, 4s-2200. All the others at my field do the same because its cheaper and easier to lug extra batteries than haul a generator etc. The advantage is we dont have to wait for a charge either. Sounds excessive but it really works out well in our situation.

The nice part is i have enough batteries to fly all day long.

As far as your 700 heli i completely understand and would do the same, those batteries are way more expensive than my 19.99 3s-2200's
Sep 24, 2017, 09:56 PM
I charge 24 batteries.

For me nothing ruins a peaceful day in the country like the sound of a bunch of generators
Last edited by Billville; Sep 24, 2017 at 10:03 PM.