Apr 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Thread OP
Contest

EF-1 & Stryker racing, Arvada, CO 5/19/2012

Please join us for the second-ever EF-1 contest in Colorado on Saturday, May 19, 2012. West Field, Arvada Associated Modelers ( http://www.arvadamodelers.com/ )

This will be the same format as the event last November, which was great fun. $5 landing fee. Bring your AMA card, a lunch and something electric. We'll have the poles set up from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and plenty of practice time and individual coaching help to get you dialed in even if you've never flown on a racecourse before. When everybody's set, we'll organize heat races in the following categories:

1. Electric Formula 1 (NMPRA rules -- http://www.nmpra.org/rules/EF1NewRul...012%5B1%5D.pdf )

2. Stryker/Funjet (limit to 3S1P x 2200 mAh batteries, please)

3. T-28/warbird/what-have-you

Be prepared to fly a round, then judge a round while the batteries charge up, then fly another round. We'll shoot for at least 4 rounds in each category. No promises on prizes or trophies, though; this event is mainly for FUN and PRACTICE! We may even throw in some impromptu foamie electric combat at lunchtime if there's enough interest. C'mon out and get the juice(s) flowing!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
What a great idea! This kind of event is what will help build racing!
Apr 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Thread OP
Thanks, I hope so!
Apr 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
I am planning on being there. Sounds real fun, And am ooking forward to the instruction. I am planning on bringing a Sundowner 36 If I can get ready in time and a Multiplex Dogfighter.
Apr 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Thread OP
Sounds great! The Sundowner should be just fine, there was one at the Nats last year.

Cheers,

D.
Apr 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Shut up and fly
you know me, and jon will be down. we got one more hooked. he will bring his shoestring.
that make 3 also i will be bring the combat planes as well. going to be a blast.
May 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
How are things looking, are we going to be able to use the west field if there's no tarp on the runway?

I just finished up the SD 36. It's pulling 325W on 3S which seems a little low, but it's pulling 50A and 760W on 4S, which i governed back 730W because I don't want to go over 45A. That's with a 9x7.5 prop on a Turnigy NTM 3548 1100kV.

I'm hoping to get out Friday before, to get a test run in on the SD before we fly, but if I can't, it will have to maiden during the event.
May 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Shut up and fly
i think your sundowner has to be a legal set up to fly in the ef-1 event?
May 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'll let the race organizer make the call. I've never done this before, I am mainly going for the experience and the instruction. I just happen to have the right kind of plane, though not a strictly legal setup, it's close.The motor I have is very similar to a Power 25, it's actually a little less powerful, but within 10g weight. My battery is a little heavier than legal, and I have some 8x8 props if I needed to swap those in, it'd probably draw less amps.

I'm also bringing a multiplex dogfighter, which I am hoping to race in the Styker class, it's similar in size and performance.
May 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
Shut up and fly
sweet. it will be a blast. this group of people are really nice. i will be there too. only my second event still learning too.
May 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Thread OP

Bring the Sundowner!

Rifraf,

As the "race organizer" (my wife would be surprised to hear me called the "organizer" of anything!) I feel compelled to put it to a pilot vote whether a non-spec EF-1 would be allowed. I'm also quite confident of the outcome of that vote, so plan to compete!

I laid out the course markers yesterday, & hope to get Friday off to stand up the pylons and leave them up overnight. We'll take off and land parallel to the race course, 50 feet away from the nearest pylon. It's close enough that you can take off and land from your position on the race course, or walk a few steps if you'd rather.

The gravel surface is OK, very smooth, although my Loki did get a snootful of dirt when I nosed over at the end. This is just one more advantage of electric compared to glow: A little grit in the front end won't ruin them. Just shake the rocks out, put in a fresh battery and you're good to go!
May 14, 2012, 01:47 PM
Duane, that sounds great. Thanks. I am hoping to come out on Friday for a couple hours to maiden the sundowner, so I don't end up doing that at the event. I may also try to test out an 8x8 before Saturday, to see what the numbers look like. If I make it out, maybe I'll see you there. Let me know if you need help with anything.
May 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifraf
Let me know if you need help with anything.
Bwahahaha, those are famous last words! If you can come and fly, that's great. If you can't fly, it would be awesome to get some video! We never have enough publicity or coverage of these things -- well, not enough to suit me, anyway!

Cheers,

D.
May 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Shut up and fly
ditto that. i will bring my little camera again not great, but it works.
May 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
I'll try to remember to bring a couple decent cameras. I've got a fairly decent standard definition solid state camcorder, and a high definition keychain cam that I clip to my hat.

Quick Reply