Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by tdogg77
Discussion

New to DLG - First Glider Suggestions?

I like the ELF from Kennedy Composites, but it seems pretty expensive. Is there a reasonable, lower-priced starter DLG alternative?

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Mike M.
-Alula
-Wright Brothers Gambler
-Mountain Models DL-50
-QuickFlick II
-TopSky mini

Or get a real DLG:
-TopSky 1 or 2
-Predator 2
-Find a used "bagged" DLG for a good deal
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by samson55
Go with the gambler or quick flick if you are good at building. They have great breeze penetration. I fly my Topsky mini a lot with good success, but she is on the lighter side. The ELF is too much money IMO and you could get a better DLG for the same money and fly on non-calm days too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
-Alula
-Wright Brothers Gambler
-Mountain Models DL-50
-QuickFlick II
-TopSky mini

Or get a real DLG:
-TopSky 1 or 2
-Predator 2
-Find a used "bagged" DLG for a good deal
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
To clarify - I think I would like to buy a glider that qualifies for F3K competition. What would be a good first F3K glider?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by browncbr1
Craig B
If you think $200 is expensive, then you might not want to take the F3K drug..... before you know it you will be spending $700-800 minimum on each model.. The only 1.5m F3K ships I know of that are around $200 are Topsky and predator... I recommend you start with one of these models, particularly to develop your building skills...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by davidjensen
Will fly for food
Often you can go to the local contests and find a used DLG or look at the classified section for one. A budget of $200 is not realistic in the long run.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by homer49
Bob Olson

starter?

Around early '08 I was having this discussion with a friend of mine about entry level DLG's - had watched the nats and one other contest - was contemplating an art hobby design when my friend said that if I did'nt jump in with both feet, I would be dissapointed with the outcome. He told me that if I went below a certain level, results would not be what I expected. He talked me into buying a Blaster. His reasoning was that I was already pretty old and you only live once. Since then I have had 6 blasters - that was when the Blaster's were about the cheapest - before the topsky's - Flew by myself for months - finally got some help and pointers from my friend, entered my first contest and placed second in Novice. ( got beat by some young punk named David A. !!!!) Had Lorry Green for a coach at the polecat - was in 10th place at the NATS after the frist day, got buried on the second! - - - Bottom line is that I have had the greatest time imaginable with DLG's in all the 48 years since I started flying R/C. Also, the cost/benefit per hour of stick time is the cheapest of anything else I have ever been involved in. You simply can't imagine the fun you will have until you take the plunge!! SAVE UP AND GO FOR IT - YOU WON'T BE SORRY!!!!!!!! Bob O. .
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer49 View Post
Around early '08 I was having this discussion with a friend of mine about entry level DLG's - had watched the nats and one other contest - was contemplating an art hobby design when my friend said that if I did'nt jump in with both feet, I would be dissapointed with the outcome. He told me that if I went below a certain level, results would not be what I expected. He talked me into buying a Blaster. His reasoning was that I was already pretty old and you only live once. Since then I have had 6 blasters - that was when the Blaster's were about the cheapest - before the topsky's - Flew by myself for months - finally got some help and pointers from my friend, entered my first contest and placed second in Novice. ( got beat by some young punk named David A. !!!!) Had Lorry Green for a coach at the polecat - was in 10th place at the NATS after the frist day, got buried on the second! - - - Bottom line is that I have had the greatest time imaginable with DLG's in all the 48 years since I started flying R/C. Also, the cost/benefit per hour of stick time is the cheapest of anything else I have ever been involved in. You simply can't imagine the fun you will have until you take the plunge!! SAVE UP AND GO FOR IT - YOU WON'T BE SORRY!!!!!!!! Bob O. .
What would you buy if you were getting into it now?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by davidjensen
Will fly for food
If all you had was a radio you can get a good used DLG for $300 to $400. If you want to buy new they start at about $500
This is what I would do if you went new
Topsky 2 disser $350 to $400
3 to 4 servos at $25 = $100
Receiver = $75
battery = $20

The other alternative is the Gambler and the DL50. Both are 2 channel (rudder elevatror).