Apr 25, 2012, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best battery for the TH9X?

What is the best battery pack for the flyskyTH9x TX?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
This has come up a lot, recently. What I did is here:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/tendollarbattery.shtml
Read the whole article, though.
He says now to buy from another source.
This looks good:
http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4cellspacks.aspx
DO NOT use Lipos because it really isn't safe to charge them in place.
If you do not flash the new firmware from er9x you will have to bugger the voltage alarm.
Apr 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Crash!
Apr 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtheboss
What is the best battery pack for the flyskyTH9x TX?
Either an NiMH transmitter pack or an LiFe pack from HobbyKing ($8 plus shipping). Both work well, are safe and provide correct voltage.

You MUST get the polarity right or you will destroy the voltage regulators. The center pin is positive on the connector.

Also, if you use NiMH you can charge through the jack but must note the it is center positive (opposite of JR and Spektrum).
Apr 25, 2012, 03:14 PM
I use a 3s lipo TX pack from HobbyKing. It works fine, and I do remove it for charging. The sole reason is that it was in stock at the US store at the time while the LiFe wasn't available at all.
Apr 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
Some flyers building their own packs are using the 14500 cell, in series/parallel configurations.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/prote...0-lithium.html
You can solder them up or use a 4 cell pack that makes a 2S2P setup.
Apr 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
RC beginner
using nicd or nimh is the most sensible choice because that is what designers of the radio intended. nimh have more capacity than lipo and low discharge (precharge) types have similar long shelf life. however if you use the radio often there is no advantage over regular nimh. alkalines are another possibility but very expensive in the long run.

anything else requires modifications and is therefor risky. doing a search for the word "fried", "bricked", or "regulator" in the 9x megathread will make this clear.
May 01, 2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993
<>anything else requires modifications and is therefor risky. doing a search for the word "fried", "bricked", or "regulator" in the 9x megathread will make this clear.
Yup. Getting the polarity wrong when changing the battery is a real possibility.
You'd be very unhappy with what I actually did, then. I removed the exiting battery connection header, straightened one of the pins and connected it to a DIN header, then reinstalled the right angle connector. This leads to a custom charging cable with power and balancing leads.
May 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
If it's a transmitter designed to hold AAs or a pack made of them, Eneloops are generally the best option.
May 01, 2012, 06:21 PM
RC beginner
i have to agree they may be the most reliable. costly though. in terms of capacity and shelf life tenergy seems to be giving them a run for the money. literally.
May 01, 2012, 06:52 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
I'd be curious to test them out myself. Most of what I can find out about them (largely from CPF) says they don't perform as well as Eneloops.

I'd also like to get my hands on some of the newer "1800" cycle Eneloops for testing.

Either way, the LSD NiMH AAs are great for use in radio transmitters. I just use Eneloops because I know they're very reliable and perform well.

Quick Reply