Nov 05, 2012, 02:45 PM
Southern Pride
That is why I am a firm believer in quality switcher BECs and find it extremly difficult to trust ones built into ESCs.

My son had a ZYX-S which acted strang a couple of times while spooling up. Added a DE Sports BEC and no more issues. He had a Trex 450 with a ZYZ in it and the FBL unit gave some issues in flight,added a CC BEC and no more issues.

I tested a Turniyg AE 45A ESC with built in 5/6V 4A SBEC under a 3A and then a 3.5A CC load and while the main regulator stayed cool enough (105F max) other componets on the board got warm enough (135F) to cause the whole ESC to reach over 100 degrees F in 75F ambient and that was without it powering a motor.

Charles
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51
Well it is official my second HB800 is a dud. After rebuilding and putting different tail servo on. It acted the same. The tail first started wagging after a minute of flight followed by the rest of the head. This time I was lucky and didn't try to fight it back to the pad. I just hit throttle hold and auto rotated down. Didn't bend or break anything. Something in the unit is heating or shorting out a minute or two into flight.
I had the same problem. Pulled a ZYX off one of my 450's to try a HB800.
Hovered fine but as soon as I tried some circuits it went crazy.
Found that the board was loose in the case and even wiggling the wires would make the servos jitter. Put some foam inside the case to stop the movement but the next flight was exactly the same.
Guess I got a dud as well and I would rather fly than fix so went back to the ZYX and all is good again.
Nov 05, 2012, 05:41 PM
This one came from hobbycool just like my other. The HB800's seem to work fine with bad power. The swash started sticking to the main because of the cold on my other 450. It was enough to send the speedcontrol into alarm and you could see the blue light dim everytime you tryed to move the collective, but It still moved smoothly and only under command. I know the tarots start to loose power they start turning into a chatter box and the elevator go's down.

I informed hobbycool of it and their response was let us send you a manual?? They obviously didn't read my email at all.
Nov 05, 2012, 05:58 PM
Not da momma!
Good thing I asked. I have one in my shopping cart from hobbycool, well, hobby_cool_usa on eBay (same store, though).
Nov 06, 2012, 02:51 PM
Well I just got a email telling me to send the unit back. So looks like they will take care of their customers.
Nov 06, 2012, 03:04 PM
Not da momma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51
Well I just got a email telling me to send the unit back. So looks like they will take care of their customers.
Nice! Let's hope the next pair work, eh? I'm gonna be putting my MB onto my 550, so I'm looking to get one of these for my 450.
Nov 06, 2012, 03:16 PM
One does work perfectly. It has even been threw hell and back. That is why I went ahead and purchased the second. I am just glad I fully tested it out on this 450 before putting it on my logo.
Nov 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
Get It? - Got It!
mhills, glad you had success with Hobby Cool. Which email address did you sent it to? I have sent five email and left four voicemail messages regarding my defective H800 and not a word.
Thanks
Nov 06, 2012, 10:23 PM
I went threw the ebay system.
Dec 13, 2012, 05:06 PM
Texas NewB
WoW this one Die harder then CX3-1000?
Dec 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
as much as I can
Yeah, it did. It does tends to show that there can't be too many having any problems with it.

I must video my 550E flying with 13.5 degrees of collective pitch and a much lighter (720g) Lipo.
Dec 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
It ends up I burned up the resolution on the collective on my old and trusted one, but I am sure a beast would of done the same. The swash got frozen at mid level by a crack in the main shaft. I muscled it down, but not before two of the servo arms were bent and the CC speedcontrol was sounding like a musical. After I fixed it I thought I had just damaged all three servos, but after changing them it's still not working right. It is flyable, but when you go to land it becomes a roller coaster. Last time to put it on the ground I just waited until the up hill and hit throttle hold.
Dec 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
Texas NewB
Mine is in my Hausler 500 grant it I only hover around and pitch pump and little circles but it is my most stable heli I fly
#1 favorite Hausler 500 with the hb800
#2 favorite Hausler 450 with the ZYX-S
#3 favorite Trex 600 with the CX3X1000
Jan 16, 2013, 09:30 AM
realflyer
Anybody still selling these. I can't find them anywhere.

Quick Reply