Miles of free servo wiring! - RC Groups
Apr 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
Mark Harrison
Discussion

Miles of free servo wiring!

So this is probably old news to everybody else, but I discovered that I had loads of 24 gauge servo wiring in the form of old ethernet cables lying around.

Splitting them open reveals 8 24 gauge wires (4 twisted pairs), which seem to work quite nicely for homemade servo/receiver connections.

Has anybody else done this? Any potential problems I might run into?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Other than servo wires are normally tiny wires within the sheathing, and cat-5 is solid wire.
Apr 23, 2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
So this is probably old news to everybody else, but I discovered that I had loads of 24 gauge servo wiring in the form of old ethernet cables lying around.

Splitting them open reveals 8 24 gauge wires (4 twisted pairs), which seem to work quite nicely for homemade servo/receiver connections.

Has anybody else done this? Any potential problems I might run into?
I bet not, but do they contain fairly standard colors like on a "real" servo extension? I could easily get confused if the colors were not pretty close. I am a simple man, after all!
Don
Apr 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
The colors are blue orange green brown in that order on cat6e or any data wiring. If you had alot of ribbon cable that would work for servos.
Apr 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
As dedStick mentioned, most Ethernet cables are solid wire which is bad for high vibration environments such as R/C Aircraft (even electric powered ones). If you can find some stranded stuff you SHOULD be OK. I haven't seen any in a while. I went through about eight 1000 foot boxes of the stuff a few years back.... all solid except for a one that had stranded shields (but solid signal wires) that I used for my longer home runs.
Apr 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik
cat-5 is solid wire.
That statement is NOT TRUE. Cat-5 is available in solid or stranded, and crimp connectors are made for each type wire.
Apr 23, 2012, 08:02 PM
Mark Harrison
Sweet, thanks all! mine are stranded and the fit seems pretty good.

I'm not too concerned about the colors, as I'm actually making a custom connector from a receiver to a quad control board... I'll make all the wires the same color, and put a different color on pin 1. Hopefully that won't be too hard to plug in correctly!
Apr 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
ShopCzar
awesome, just checked one of my cables i had laying around...boom! 100 feet x8 of 24awg stranded wire!!
Apr 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
The cord that goes from the 45 jack to the pc may work better if you leave it in the soft shield jacket used for cords (just cut ends off) .... sometimes the actual cable had a stiffer jacket than the cords. You can strip it out but the shield may be good near pushrod areas.

For those that don't have cable laying around check your old connection cords for Cat 5 ratings .... it will say so on the quality cords. I know my router came with one.
Apr 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Suspended Account
I have boxes of Cat 6 cable laying around. Now I have to check and see if they are standed.
Being the IT Director does have its advantages. Thanks for the servo Idea.
Apr 25, 2012, 05:42 AM
Sussex, UK
It's also possible to strip old ribbon cables for servo wires - I've got a couple of combined rudder and elevator extensions made from and old floppy disk cable.
Apr 25, 2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
Sweet, thanks all! mine are stranded and the fit seems pretty good.

I'm not too concerned about the colors, as I'm actually making a custom connector from a receiver to a quad control board... I'll make all the wires the same color, and put a different color on pin 1. Hopefully that won't be too hard to plug in correctly!
I also have boxes and I do mean "boxes" of cat 5 stranded laying around. May I ask where you are getting your connectors?
Apr 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Depending on the servos you are using, 24 gage wire may be a bit light. The nice thing is though, with that much free wire, you can parallel wires to improve the capacity.
Apr 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by iscgdave
I also have boxes and I do mean "boxes" of cat 5 stranded laying around. May I ask where you are getting your connectors?
HobbyKing has them but the best connectors I've found have been from Hansen Hobbies:

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ervoconnectors

I found for my own purposes I use a lot more female than male terminals.

The deluxe crimper is really nice to use... definitely worth the money, and once you get used to custom cables that fit your model perfectly you can't go back.

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...ools/crimp_dx/

This page is worthwhile for the video and PDF crimping tutorial, even if you have another crimping tool.

I actually bought the kit which included tools, a supply of connectors and cable. I was just getting into hobby and I really hesitated to do so, but I think it was one of the smartest purchases I made (along with a good quality soldering iron).

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...kits/ck_drcck1

The proprietor, Chris Hansen, is a great guy too. I've sent him a couple of questions and he's been super helpful in his responses.

disclaimer: no connection except as a happy customer.
Apr 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
+1 for Hansen Hobbies. I have the same kit. I put off the purchase for years. Something I should have done long ago.

Quick Reply