This thread is privately moderated by ddog343, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Balancing.... Quick & Easy

Just a simple, quick and clean concept that allows me to Check Balance's, basically anywhere, any time.... and generally "one handed". On all my airframes I install a "balancing lug" or hard-point at the CG midrange. My hardpoints are just small eye-screws that I GGlue in. I then hang the airframe a few inches above my workspace as I finalize component placement. Also, by forming a hook out of some stiff wire I can generally hold the model one handed and check Balances in the field. The advantage here is that I'm able to ck Balance in all dimensions at once....both Forward and Aft, and Left and Right.... one handed. You can attach your hardpoint where ever you need, top or bottom, even on some battery hatches... whenever I find that the hatch won't hold the weight I'll generally attach to the opposite side or re-enforce the hatch...
What this gives you in the long run is a very consistent balancing reference point!

Hope this helps keep em flying, thks,g
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Great technique i definetly going to use it to help with my scratch that i'm doing. By the way i'm a complete novice to Rc plane's and would love it if you could come and check out my thread to give some help and follow my progress . The plane is a High wing Trainer with a flat bottom airfoil and a 1.6m wingspan love it if you could check out the build here's the link

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1638287
Apr 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Glad this helps you... As far as Balsa goes my last build was in the "last millenium" sorry.
If you need another project, ck out my Blog and locate Ed'd Experimental Airlines site.... It's great and very informative....g
May 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
da Perfesser
Those are some absolutely gorgeous aircraft. I especially think the Bf109e is a work of art. I'd be afraid to fly them.
May 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosefAugers
Those are some absolutely gorgeous aircraft. I especially think the Bf109e is a work of art. I'd be afraid to fly them.
I see that you do have a Flt Sim and thats great... I have no experience on anything other then RealFlight and Pheonix so I won't be able to compare with what you have... As long as the sticks move the same it will help you become more instinctive with your control inputs... I would highly recomend that you fly the Flt Sim on high rates and fly as many different aircraft as you have time for...also, throw some inverted and unusual flight attitudes at yourself... To advance, you'll really need to push yourself this way... when your totally frustrated then plug in that high wing trainer and just fly some normal patterns to unwind. Thats what it takes to jump start my students to the next level..
As far as your Stratos flight goes..a few things come to mind, 1) when flying in windy conditions, turning downwind pushes the a/c down.. once you come out of the turn things should respond normally. 2) Your battery might not have a full charge... 3) could you have props on backwards? 4)RX brown-out, Just lost a Beast 3D UMX w/as3x with a brownout... generally, red flashing light dictates lost signal.... Possible Fixes...Enlarge the elevator itself, if you haven't already. Think about disabling VI, and visit the Straos forum here, I'm assuming there is one. If you still need more up, go to high rates on just the elevator if you can. Not sure what transmitter you have...
My best guess is #3, followed by #2 and 4... Hope your able to get it figured out, goodluck.
May 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Is the first plane in the pic a Fuggly Jet from youtube

FUGLYJET EDF Scratchbuilt Foamie (4 min 30 sec)
May 16, 2012, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
Yup, sure is ...with some minor "mods". Ed has some great concepts and designs...my TyeDyDoo is Ed's Noobe Tube, and if you watched my Blog vid, you can see how nice it flies....Doing a rebuild of it now.... I have finally decided to retire most of it... re-using the wing and electronics
May 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
da Perfesser
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog343
As far as your Stratos flight goes..a few things come to mind, 1) when flying in windy conditions, turning downwind pushes the a/c down.. once you come out of the turn things should respond normally.
Yep, I agree, except with the rudder unable to affect a turn once downwind that's rather challenging.

Quote:
2) Your battery might not have a full charge...
I'm using an accucel 6 & the thrust the motors put out is really impressive.

Quote:
3) could you have props on backwards?
Nope, holding the plane, full throttle, both motors are pulling forward hard.

Quote:
4)RX brown-out, Just lost a Beast 3D UMX w/as3x with a brownout... generally, red flashing light dictates lost signal....
Now that's a great thought. I haven't done a range check on the Stratos...

Quote:
Possible Fixes...Enlarge the elevator itself, if you haven't already.
Yep, I think that's in the future.

Quote:
Think about disabling VI,.
I've tested the Stratos' "Virtual Instructor" and it appears to be working as intended. I'll try disabling it after changing to high rates and trying that.

Quote:
visit the Straos forum here, I'm assuming there is one.
Too little signal to noise to waste my time there. Bunch of expert pilots bragging how they easily fly the Stratos isn't very useful to someone struggling to keep it in the air.

Quote:
Not sure what transmitter you have...
I can't use my Aurora 9 with the Stratos which is only sold as a RTF with its own transmitter.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll make sure to do a range check before trying my current changes (I moved the battery back a bit and moved the clevises one hole closer to the control surfaces on the control horns).

You know, when I pop the nose off there's a big (7/8" ?) steel ball bearing embedded in the nose's foam. I wonder if it's supposed to be there or if someone accidentally dropped it in the mold...
May 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
You know, when I pop the nose off there's a big (7/8" ?) steel ball bearing embedded in the nose's foam. I wonder if it's supposed to be there or if someone accidentally dropped it in the mold...

Maybe a quick call to HH would answer that.. Now help me out, how exactly are you " Multi-Quoting" here. I haven't been able to yet... thks
May 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
da Perfesser
Quote:
Now help me out, how exactly are you " Multi-Quoting" here. I haven't been able to yet... thks
To reply I hit the "quote" button and the reply message starts with "[QUOTE=" and ends with "[/Quote]" I copy the whole thing to the clipboard, edit between the "QUOTE" ''s type my reply after that then paste the whole thing again below that, edit between the "QUOTE" 's type my reply.......
May 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
To reply I hit the "quote" button and the reply message starts with ""
I'll have to give that a try...

I'll ck the preview...

Quote:
To reply I hit the "quote" button and the reply message starts with "" I copy the whole thing to the clipboard, edit between the "QUOTE" ''s type my reply after that then paste the whole thing again below that, edit between the "QUOTE" 's type my reply.......
thks
Sep 08, 2012, 03:00 PM
Certified Quad Crasher

Very neat idea

But how do you determine the center to mount the eyelet?
Sep 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx
But how do you determine the center to mount the eyelet?

Most manufacturers state where the CG is on there model... just place the eyelet in the center of there range... If building a "scratch built" normal configuration airframe,
the CG point is gererally around 25% to 33% of the wing cord... hope this helps..g

Quick Reply