Apr 23, 2012, 05:39 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Soarist Open 2012 Eurotour F3J Kickoff

The Soarist Open F3J competition was held 4-21 and 4-22 at Saray Turkey.
The same field an organization that will host the 2013 F3J Euro Champs next year. Saray is a near perfect location for model flying offering wide open spaces and a variety of conditions to challenge even those with advanced soaring skills.
This has been an interesting year for weather in Turkey. For me it started as I was landing Wednesday and had to hold for 45 minutes as Ataturk Airport was closed, while a huge dust storm arrived from Africa with unusually high southerly winds. The conditions for the weekend were predicted to be high winds and thunderstorms...and we got them.
The Soarist Team arrived Friday for set-up and practice. We clocked winds consistently over 20 mphs with gusts pushing 30 mph. This gave us a chance to get our ballast setup, do some flying, break some lines, and visit with F3J friends.
Saturday morning dawned windy grey and wet. My favorite, nothing like standing around in wet clothes all day. Contest Director Serdar Sualp called the pilots meeting and briefed the 50 competitors. We had competitors representing, Ukraine, Norway, Germany, Great Britain, Turkey, North Cyprus, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Croatia, and the USA. The forecast thunderstorms arrived with lightning, rain, hale and wind. We had to stop and wait for the bad stuff but did get 3 rounds in on Saturday. This was bad news for many competitors as Serdar had announced that only 7 would go into the fly-offs, and with the only 3 rounds in on Saturday we would surley not make 8 rounds required for drop. Despite the conditions model carnage was kept to a minimum with the notable exception of an unfortunate modeler from the Ukraine which pushed his Maxa well beyond anything Vladimir could have seen coming on launch. It was a spectacular event as the pilot unwisely commanded Positive, negative, positive, negative..momentary Blurr then it vaporized. A needless sad loss of a nice model......
That pretty lady at the bottom of the page is Soarist own Semin Balcik. Semin is the organizer for Soarist events and helps organize the needs of all the foreign competitors. Semin also doubles as the Den mother for the Soarist team making sure we have all our things in orderand that we get some sleep. She then spends all day calling flight groups...she is quite a gal. That guy with all the wires is the DJ, yea a fixture at Soarist events you gotta keep everyone happy. And look at GrandMaster PK bustin a move as he watches Mustafa Koc trimming and sampling Fridays fun conditions.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Apr 23, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2012, 06:07 AM
Thread OP
After We practiced on Friday, Philip , Eser, and I went over to hang with JoJo and get the low down on Sambas new Pike Perfection. The model features a reworked Pike ET Wing reconfigured for 2 piece layout, and features a fuselage, tail group, similar to Philip's Prestige. The model looks good and seems to have improved handling characteristics in it's new form. Philip was impressed with what Samba has come up with, and appreciated the opportunity to check out the new details...
Apr 23, 2012, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
Some of the competitors for GB, Austin Guerrier was there with his friends Brian Johnson and Jon Sanderson. All flew NAN Explorers.
Reihard Vallant loads the ballast in Mustafa Koc's Prestige, then launches it.
Eser Kismer's Explorer 2 with paint...
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Apr 23, 2012, 06:30 AM
Thread OP
Sunday dawned with new challenges. While the wind had dropped off at ground levle it was obvious it was still on top of us. During the first round the ground bubbles were percolating but died very early maybe 200 meters up. By the third group the air went from bubbles to real cycles and those that flew to light could be disappointed. As the day progressed the air improved but the wind came back. Definitely sporting conditions....
On Saturday morning We got word that Philip Kolb had met the requirements of residency and was accepted to the Turkish Aeroclub as TUR 345.
So Philip is now officially competing on behalf of Turkey and will attempt to qualify for future Turkish Teams..Congratulations Philip, I know you will be happy with your descision.
Apr 23, 2012, 07:06 AM
F3J conditions - this is an outdoor sport Looking at the pictures, that field looks like one serious F3J field. Philip told me last year that Saray is the rock star of all F3J fields - that was well said!

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to 2013 EC.
Apr 23, 2012, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
The Soarists team consists of pilots Mustafa Koc, Murat Esibatir, Eser Kismer, Philip Kolb, Reinhard Vallant, and Captain America. By the end of Saturday We had 6 of the top 11 spots. Personally I was in 8th 50 points out from a flyoff position. I had succeeded in losing points in all 3 rounds Saturday and had to live with a 47 point hit in round 3 when I had a line break I the high winds during a relaunch. Sunday was better from a competion standpoint and my 3 round score was 2999.6 which some how was good enought for a fly off spot. The Soarist team put Philip, Eser, Reinhart and me into the flyoffs.
The 7 flyoff spots were announced, lane assignments chosen, and we were sent to the line for 2 flyoff rounds. By now the conditions were drier but the wind was very high, and the air was definitely cycling, sometimes in long periods of sink...
I was lucky to have Mustafa with me to help call air and try to keep track of other team pilots. I had such a low preliminary score that I did not get an optimal lane,
and was not close to the other Soarist guys. The horn sounded and JoJo and I took short tows and immediately headed down wind. The others waited in front
then drifted back with JoJo and I and went for a long climb down wind, drifting out for 7 minutes. In the end 6 of the 7 maxed the flight with Larel Koudelka being the unfortunate pilot landing short. I have 2 constest flying Prestige and am not used to it on landing. I used too much flap in the wind and earned a superb 93 pointer for a landing.
We grouped for the second flight and JoJo and I both went very early, very fast and very low. I zoomed downwind and was relieved to find a patch of zero. Jo Jo joined me and we found a weak core that manged to hang together and got us to about 200 meters. We were then able to transition to the thermal the rest of the group was using and joined the gaggle. I was not confident in the conditions I was feeling at the launch line was predicitng anything coming our way for the long ride back to the field. As vision become an issue the others broke off and started back. Philip and I stayed longer in the thermal forming a huge cloud. I think it was 8 minutes when I decided I couldn't really see the model well enough to come home. I headed back and detoured in an effort to miss the worse of the bad air. Still the Prestige was having a tough go as the wind was very high and cold. I was wishing I had an extra 300grams to help cover ground. What I didn't know was Philip had chosen to fly lighter than me, and wanted to go the route I took but felt the extra distance would be a problem with the lighter wingloading.
Mustafa was keeping track of the other models and kept pushing me to stay up..At 3 minutes reamining I was back even with the launch lanes but very low.
I found a zero patch and started circling. It hit the tents and started to transition giving me just enout of a boost to get me high enough for 2 minute final glide.
Philip got a 99, I hit a 98. I saw other models landing but did not realise that they had relaunched. So it was done, Philip proved once again why he is Eurotour Champion, he is an amazing pilot. His caller Murat Esibatir an excellent pilot and caller kept Philip on track for a well earned victory.
There are two sets of trophies for the Eurotours in the Balkan Countries.
For the Balkan Cup Competition the finsh was First place Philip Kolb, 2nd Murat Esibatir, ad 3rd place Mustafa Koc. All 3 flew Fineworx Prestige F3J Glider.
For the Eurotour event Soarist Cup Philip Kolb was first, I was 2nd, and Reinhard Vallant was 3rd, all flying Prestige. 4th place was good friend and excellent pilot Eser Kismir flying Explorer 2
As you may recall the Turkish Team are the current European Champions. We are looking forward to a tough season and hard practice to achieve a good finish in South Africa in August at the World F3J Champs.
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Apr 23, 2012, 07:19 AM
Good flying Larry! That must have been really hard work.
Apr 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
Hey Tuomo,
Truthfully a good time I wished you could have shared with us. Will We see you in Dupnitsa next weekend ????
Here are some better photos from Verol Acikalin.
Photo 1 is of the Competitors 2012 Soarist Cup
Photo 2 is the Top 3 finishers
Photo 4 is the Soarist Team Photo
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Apr 23, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Apr 23, 2012, 08:28 AM

Soarist

Nice write up Larry and Great flying!!!!
Apr 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Larry,

Congratulations on your podium finish, and a great write-up. I wish I had known about the contest in advance, I would have hung around an extra day.
Apr 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
Nice writeup Larry!
My pictures and Facebook updates are in one batch here:
http://www.f3x.no or direct link http://www.f3x.no/f3j/2012/istanbul/index.htm

Jojo
Apr 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Got a bunch of photos from Aril's camera. Some of them really show how HUGE this field is as you see in different camera angles. Dont missunderstand. There is still lots of signs to look for when finding thermals. But there are few but none triggers that can make a large championship "boring".
Should be excellent for European Champs next year.

Jojo
Apr 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
Wow cool photos JoJo,it is almost like I was there yesterday !!! By the way the cigarette photo is payback for you catching me a sleep in Bovec last year. Thanks for the laughs it was great flying with you..
Apr 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Has anyone else noticed that when this "Captain America" shows up at a contest, LJ is nowhere to be found? And vice-versa. I'm starting to wonder if one is the other.

Just sayin...

Tom
Apr 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
KC6ZZS
LJ, thanks for taking the time to post details and photos. It keeps the excitement level up. Soaring is thriving in Europe due to F3J. Soaring has been dying in the USA and F3J/MOM events are starting to turn things around. Notice that the few F3J events in the US are always filled up weeks prior to the event? Same with high interest level in DLG ( scored MOM).

Quick Reply