Jul 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
Slope Stud
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehachapi Jim
Rob-sten (RCG name) sells canopy hardware, as does Winchdoc. I think the hardware Rob sells would be better suited for the Shrike, and its not real expensive. Winchdocs is awesome but for larger, heavier builds IMHO.

The canopy on a Shrike is not a whole lot smaller than the Rotor, and the Rotor/canopy brake combo seems to slow it down.

FWIW,

Jim
Jim,

Did you get your wings?

Oranator
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2012, 04:13 PM
Yes Oran, sorry, I got em, thanks so much. They came out pretty good for a first time effort. I am really sorry I have not been in touch. The best way to explain it is to call you. I will try tonight. Many changes on the home front. In no way think I am trying to ignore you. I would like to come back down, just not sure when.

Jim
Jul 28, 2012, 04:56 PM
Slope Stud
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehachapi Jim
Yes Oran, sorry, I got em, thanks so much. They came out pretty good for a first time effort. I am really sorry I have not been in touch. The best way to explain it is to call you. I will try tonight. Many changes on the home front. In no way think I am trying to ignore you. I would like to come back down, just not sure when.

Jim
Hope things are OK, talk to you tonight.

Oranator
Nov 15, 2012, 10:51 AM
What goes up, must come down..

How much nose lead?

Got a Shrike build question and I suspect there are a few owners on this thread ;-) Hoping you can help me out...

Have a SkyKing Shrike kit and the build is getting along (slowly). Test fit the radio gear in this morning and it seems pretty tail heavy without the wings mounted (they are not yet sheeted/bagged). Fuse is primered but not painted and tail feathers are uncovered. With the gear in about the right spot, it doesn't seem to balance very well: tail is obviously dropping. Filled the tailboom with foamed gorilla glue and think I went a bit heavy on the primer, so worried I've got way too much weight back there...

How much nose lead do you typically need to get the CG right, keeping in mind this is the SkyKing (shorter nose) version? Should I be thinking about trying to sand off most of the primer? Would this help?

Thanks for the advice!

Jay
Nov 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Slope Stud
Thread OP
Hi Jay,

It's way too soon to be talking CG, The plane balances on the wing rod, so build the wings and tail, install the gear and add as much lead as needed to get the plane to balance...... If it's heavy then it's heavy.

Post some pictures ........it's always better with pictures!
Here is what I am working on... just about ready.

Oranator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPitch
Got a Shrike build question and I suspect there are a few owners on this thread ;-) Hoping you can help me out...

Have a SkyKing Shrike kit and the build is getting along (slowly). Test fit the radio gear in this morning and it seems pretty tail heavy without the wings mounted (they are not yet sheeted/bagged). Fuse is primered but not painted and tail feathers are uncovered. With the gear in about the right spot, it doesn't seem to balance very well: tail is obviously dropping. Filled the tailboom with foamed gorilla glue and think I went a bit heavy on the primer, so worried I've got way too much weight back there...

How much nose lead do you typically need to get the CG right, keeping in mind this is the SkyKing (shorter nose) version? Should I be thinking about trying to sand off most of the primer? Would this help?

Thanks for the advice!

Jay
Nov 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
What goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANATOR
Hi Jay,

It's way too soon to be talking CG, The plane balances on the wing rod, so build the wings and tail, install the gear and add as much lead as needed to get the plane to balance...... If it's heavy then it's heavy.

Post some pictures ........it's always better with pictures!
Here is what I am working on... just about ready.

Oranator
Lol, yah I suppose.... I fret too much. :-) First time painting after dozens of kits... Pix this weekend when I get some time...

Speaking of pix, thats a nice build you got going!
Dec 21, 2012, 01:21 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?

Progress

I managed to get back down to Oran's this "weekend". As long as I'm not completely missing something all I still have to do is install the guts.

Going to jump ahead a bit here, how much travel should I have when complete?

Anyway got to put it together for a bench flight today.

Quick Reply