Apr 20, 2012, 08:30 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Question

Which is better, Multiplex Easystar or Bixler?

Just trying to get some review of people who have used both planes and have real experience flying both of them. What are the pros and cons of each? Which is the better FPV model?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
For all intents and purposes, they're the same plane.

Of course, there are those who say that the Bixler should be condemned because its design is "stolen" from Multiplex, and then there are those who say that it's perfectly acceptable. This thread is most likely going to spiral into a pissing match pretty quickly...

To even the score, I have a Dynam Hawk Sky that I'm still working on as a side project. Again... Same plane
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Apr 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
Just wondering if the wings are interchangeable.
Apr 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
rrg
rrg
Easystar....fpv
Apr 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
Multiplex airplanes are very well designed and Mplex uses a very high quality, durable foam. I have not owned a Bixler but have experience with several other HK gliders and would not give them the same sort of recommendation.
Apr 21, 2012, 02:53 PM

Get an Atom, while you wait for all the opinions!

HK Atom is really fun, great flyer, and low cost. We are using ours for aerial photograpy, and as soon as my new receiver comes, I'll be trying FPV with it.
We have EZ*s, and a Bixler, (which comes with ailerons, FWTW). Like he said,
they're essentially the same design, and though I didn't physically try it, I think you could interchange the wings.
Just remember, there are people who feel more comfortable if they can spend a little more, and that is fine!
Apr 21, 2012, 05:16 PM
The Bixler came out with all the things that either had been suggested or are now on the Version 2 EZ.

Brushless motor, and ailerons are standard.

The foam seems OK and as far as my flying goes (fairly rough or violent at times) it all hangs together and works well, including the standard original servos. I have (ARF version) changed the prop to 6x4 (because someone gave me one a month after the first flight), fitted a 30 Amp ESC and put in a large battery 2200 mAh.
Apr 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
Rookie Hopeful

Easy Star vs Bixler

I had the Easy Star before I bought the Bixler. After reworking the crappy spar setup on the Bixler and reinforcing it , I flew it. in flight, the wings started to fold like a sheet of paper. A piece of junk compared to the quality of my Easy Star.

I had a set of wings left from another Easy Star and plugged them into the Bixler. They fit perfectly. The next flight was O.K.

Over all, the shipping of the Bixler plus the plane came to more than the price I could get the EasyStar for at my local hobby shop. Yes I had to buy the Servos, brush less motor and Esc.

But with the Easystar, you will have a quality plane with better performance.

Overall, for a few bucks more, you will get a plane with a better motor, ESC and servos than the junk hardware that the Bixler comes with.
Last edited by air4prs; Apr 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: misspell
Apr 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
I have had two Easystars, and two Bixler models, and from my flying, the Bixler is the better model. The Bixler pulls 19 amps, will go almost vertical using a 1250 ma battery. The Bixler is lighter, and if you build it right it will out perform the Easystar. It is true that if you crash it, the spar will break in the middle, but so will the Easystar. It comes from the USA warehouse delivered for about $70.00, or you can buy the Easystar for $150.00. I am not sure how the Easystar comes now, but it used to come with a 400 size brushed motor, a 6 cell NiCd battery, and 27 MH radio. I fly my Bixler 5 days a week, weather permitting, and I can find no fault with it. This is my experience, yours may be different.

H.
Apr 28, 2012, 11:38 AM
deleted
Last edited by Lancer31; Apr 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Apr 28, 2012, 11:42 AM

For me, post #8 reads like bull

We have 2 of the older Easy *. The thrustline of the motor is wrong on those, but is correct on my Bixler. The motor that they sent on the Bixler is the best brushless I have ever had. The power of the magnets is incredible.
The last time out, with my Easy*, its wing folded into a deep "V", because the carbon tube could'nt take the strain, in normal flight, no aerobatics. The resulting crash severely damaged the Easy*.
I see a lot of whiners post comments about the Bixler, such as "junk", "trash", etc.,but they must have gotten a different model from the one I replaced my Easy* with.
The finish on the foam is as good or better, all the installed equipment works good, and it has ailerons, and it flies better than the Easy*. Sure, its a "Chinese copy", so what else is new?
Apr 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
If the Bixler, I'd suggest going ARF. You decide on battery size, ESC capacity and Tx & Rx to use.

Servos and the Bixler - make sure all hinges are freely moving (disconnect all linkages to check) or replace them with tape or some such. My impression is very stiff hinges is what causes servo problems, not servo quality.

Carbon spar - pulling some high Gs (often and usually each flight), mine shows no problems and as far as I know carbon doesn't fatigue (when or if it breaks we'll find out).

Goes near vertical with a 2200 mAh battery (and 6x4 prop) though with that battery the extra balance weights in the nose are removed.
Aug 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
Engineer
I've had the Easy Star II, Easy Star I, and Bixler. My Easy stars took a mean beating and were very easily repaired. I crashed my Bixler once from 15 ft above ground and it burst into seven pieces as well as breaking the CF spar. I can't believe how poor quality the foam on the Bixler. The Elapor from Multiplex is much better quality.
Aug 15, 2012, 10:23 PM
Airliner Builder
Easystar for reasons above ^.

Ethan

Quick Reply