Ah no, lost my plane! **RECOVERED!** - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Apr 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
-NEFPV-
Discussion

Ah no, lost my plane! **RECOVERED!**


Decided to try to do some cloud surfing today. Had some nice puffy clouds up above. Put the gopro on a launched. My first flight went great got up to 4000ft and just barely got into the clouds. I had enough battery to get back as I was a little down wind about 2500ft. I could have motored back but I just glided back power off the whole way and landed right next to me in the field. I put in a fresh battery in and tried again. I was able to climbed up to about 4000ft and I was about 3000ft out. Things were going ok and I got above the clouds some. Things got screwy and the plane was being battered by wind I was paying too much attenting to trying to stabilize the plane above the clouds, when I sould have been paying attention to the OSD and gettign out the clouds and heading back home. I noticed my voltage was at 10.5 so I pointed the plane home but it was so windy I was being pushed north even while descending into the wind. The osd gps wasnt displaying the direction right because the plane was being pushed backwards so my heading was distorted. I was looking at the ground for landmarks and I was at about 3000ft alt and had been swept all the way to 8500ft out. My voltage dropped rapidly from 10.5v down and then I lost my video signal (descended too low?? Im not sure), I hit Return to home and tried desperately to get a video signal while reciting most of the curse words I know, to no avail.

The last thing i saw was 8xxxx feet out and it was in RTH, I think I saw the voltage had dropped to 8.5 but I could be mistaken the signal was really distorted. I drove around for an hour with my patch antenna but could not find the plane. It went down in an area with lots of forest. I had my phone number on the plane but who knows if anyone will ever find it. ;( It probably glided down right into the forest somewhere.

I had no intentions of going out that far, and I should have corrected immediately when I saw I was 3000ft out.

So if it never turns up I'm out a new Gopro hd2, dragon link 12chan rx, Nova OSD, battery, cheap ccd cam, and the Hawk Sky. Ah balls.. this rots. Maybe she will turn up, maybe she wont but there is a LOT of forest to search.


**** PLANE RECOVERED! Was 2 miles out in someones back yard! ****
The following video got the whole thing.
Hawk Sky FPV plane crashes two miles out! Onboard hd camera (Warren MA) (7 min 24 sec)
Last edited by slowjett; Apr 22, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2012, 08:22 PM
N00b
=( so sorry man. Don't lose all hope though.
Apr 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
Falling with style
metalfred's Avatar
wow that sucks... maybe you could draw a line on google maps from where you were and the last known position of the plane and put your forest boots to try to find it follwing this line. You could also find out the wind direction and compute some curve or something on the map.

Any ground recording?

I sure would spend a day or two trying to find my plane if that would have happened to me!
Apr 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
-NEFPV-
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred
wow that sucks... maybe you could draw a line on google maps from where you were and the last known position of the plane and put your forest boots to try to find it follwing this line. You could also find out the wind direction and compute some curve or something on the map.

Any ground recording?

I sure would spend a day or two trying to find my plane if that would have happened to me!
No ground recording. I dont know exactly where it was but I have a rough idea. Im not sure how to draw lines on google maps or find wind charts.
Apr 20, 2012, 09:05 PM
Registered User
AndresCL's Avatar
uff, I had a similar incident some months ago. Now im flying an X5 Flying Wing and waiting to get some EzUHF.

Anyway is a good practice to put one of this http://compare.ebay.com/like/1708234...ar=lv&var=sbar gps trackers on our models. So after a loss you can dial the gps unit and get the GPS coordinates to recover it back.

Im sorry man.
Apr 20, 2012, 09:27 PM
Air Crash Expert
sawman's Avatar
Bummer. After my last incident, I bought one of those GPS trackers and never fly without it if going outside of visual range.
Got any other camera planes to assist ? That's how I found mine...combed the area with a flying wing and key chain camera.
Apr 20, 2012, 10:02 PM
Mums the word.
man2000me's Avatar
What you need to do is search google maps and it will let you draw circles on the map. You need to draw a circle out to 8xxx ft what ever the last distance was. Now you need to look in the direction the wind was blowing. Look for landmarks that look familuar. Once you find those darw a line staight to the HOME SET place. If the RTH was reliable then the plane should be somewhere along that line. Depending on how high you were you can further guess about where your plane might be.
Apr 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
-NEFPV-
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman
Bummer. After my last incident, I bought one of those GPS trackers and never fly without it if going outside of visual range.
Got any other camera planes to assist ? That's how I found mine...combed the area with a flying wing and key chain camera.
Ive actually got a wing on the bench. No motor, no electronics/servos. Now I have no DL receiver. But I do have a chainlink setup I never used. Actually.... I have a foam plane I built and its ready to fly its just not stable and when pitched down, dives straight for the ground! I guess I could fly it los with the chainlink. Tomorrow the weather is nice, i will hit the woods looking for it. I might go get my horse and bring him down to the area as I could cover more ground that way. I'll put up some flyers that state a reward, my phone number is on the main part of the fuselage on thermal printed paper which shoudl still be legible if it gets wet. It's positioned so if the plane broke up it would probably be readable still.
Apr 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
-NEFPV-
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me
What you need to do is search google maps and it will let you draw circles on the map. You need to draw a circle out to 8xxx ft what ever the last distance was. Now you need to look in the direction the wind was blowing. Look for landmarks that look familuar. Once you find those darw a line staight to the HOME SET place. If the RTH was reliable then the plane should be somewhere along that line. Depending on how high you were you can further guess about where your plane might be.
My only concern is that the RTH used ailerons to steer. And with no motor in potentially high wind every time the plane tried to correct its course it probably got blown way off course.

if anyone wants to volunteer to fly over the area, I will pay a reward!
Apr 20, 2012, 10:36 PM
-NEFPV-
When an OSD says 8500ft LOS. What does Line of sight mean? plotted on a map, or does it count the diagonal distance to the aircraft?
Apr 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
Registered User
NJFPVER's Avatar
Dont loose hope, i found my plane & Gopro 2 weeks later with the help of google earth 1 time.Another time it was it was found with the help of a local hobby store $100.00 reward. I still dont have a tracker, yet. it's worth it to go for a hike or bike ride.
Apr 20, 2012, 11:04 PM
-NEFPV-
Thanks guys for the positive words! It's helping.

I've made a mockup of the possible flight path.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...012566,0.01929

Now if I could get a tricopter set up in the next few days maybe I could find it!
Apr 20, 2012, 11:09 PM
Registered User
NJFPVER's Avatar
Get's me thinking if it can happen twice it will happen a third time. i just orderd my GPS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresCL
uff, I had a similar incident some months ago. Now im flying an X5 Flying Wing and waiting to get some EzUHF.

Anyway is a good practice to put one of this http://compare.ebay.com/like/1708234...ar=lv&var=sbar gps trackers on our models. So after a loss you can dial the gps unit and get the GPS coordinates to recover it back.

Im sorry man.
Apr 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
-NEFPV-
the only thing that worries me is that if there is no cell phone signal in the area.

I like the FMRS radio beacon idea.
Apr 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
SENTRY 62's Avatar
1st mistake: Not recording ground footage

2nd mistake : RTH

You plane being pushed will make the AP turn the plane the wrong way. It also makes using wind direction useless bc the AP would not have allowed the plane to just drift with the wind.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whoops! Lost my first plane today :( GeeSlick Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 49 Apr 06, 2012 10:21 PM
Discussion Just lost my plane TheNiceGuy FPV Aircraft 24 Feb 03, 2012 01:13 PM
Whoops! Lost my plane....again......Video loss iacei FPV Aircraft 35 Sep 28, 2011 12:37 PM
Discussion Lost my FPV plane today! daronj FPV Aircraft 20 Sep 27, 2011 09:47 PM