Thread Tools
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:24 AM
The Tellurian is offline
Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
An entry level radio is made to allow you to fly your plane as well as possible, with as many features as possible, but without breaking the bank. Functionality over aesthetiics. If you favor aesthetics... pass your way
My argument is that this design doesn't allow me to fly as well as possible. When all my attention is focused on the plane, its knarly surface is a tactile confusion to my digits and divides attention and focus.

I understand why FrSky is using it, cheapness aside many will be looking for the familiar style and newbies will immediately identify it as an RC radio. Others have fixed ideas and shy away from the new or modern.

So I shall wait to see what the other Tx bring.


Richard
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
Rotozuk is offline
Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Rotozuk's Avatar
That last rending that was shared above is very old and is not current. Here is a clue, if the render does not have their name on the radio, it was a very early rendering, they were just a starting point to get feedback.

So please do not get excited if you do not see what you would like for that radio. The 16 channel is still very open to design changes. At least that is my understanding.

Long ago the stick positioning concerns were pointed out. They know the radio needs to be able to be held with one hand, and still work a stick. This is essential for glider pilots that need to throw planes, yet have control during the launch. Lets face it, a lot of us fly with just one hand from time to time. I have been told that this will be tested and the radios will be modified if needed to meet this goal. They understand this requirement.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
Nelapaty is online now
Find More Posts by Nelapaty
KK4NZS / RP sUAS
Nelapaty's Avatar
Im sure they have a list of things they are working on would be nice to see that list..
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
R_Lefebvre is offline
Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Registered User
R_Lefebvre's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Why LiPo ?


LiPo don't like to be stored fully charged ... so keep half discharged TX is not convenient ....
I think this issue is overblown, and possibly completely inaccurate. I've never seen any statements like this from any other field other than RC Hobbys.

I typically have my cell phone with a lipo fully charged, and it lasts 2-3 years. Ditto my laptops. My lithium powered power tools, etc.

Heck, I've even left several 4S 5000mAH 20C Turnigy packs fully charged for about 8 months. No problem at all, they're still in service.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:21 PM
MattyB is offline
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
MattyB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I think this issue is overblown, and possibly completely inaccurate. I've never seen any statements like this from any other field other than RC Hobbys.

I typically have my cell phone with a lipo fully charged, and it lasts 2-3 years. Ditto my laptops. My lithium powered power tools, etc.

Heck, I've even left several 4S 5000mAH 20C Turnigy packs fully charged for about 8 months. No problem at all, they're still in service.
Whilst the deterioration due to this effect is undoubtedly real, the magnitude of it does seem to have been exagerated somewhat. Many people charge and store their LiPos straight after use yet seem to suffer little, and huge numbers of consumer products also now use them without issue.

I have converted my Evo to a 2S LiPo and FrSky RF; it now lasts forever between charges, reducing the number of charge cycles dramatically compared to a NiMH pack and increasing the effective life of the battery. Sure it might die eventually, but how much are the cheap 2S/3S packs used for TXs? It's not like you need a world beating C rating, so for 7-10 every 2 years you can have a new one. I suspect even if you replaced it every year (which would be highly unlikely) LiPos would work out cheaper than Eneloops.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
e_lm_70 is offline
Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I think this issue is overblown, and possibly completely inaccurate. I've never seen any statements like this from any other field other than RC Hobbys.

I typically have my cell phone with a lipo fully charged, and it lasts 2-3 years. Ditto my laptops. My lithium powered power tools, etc.

Heck, I've even left several 4S 5000mAH 20C Turnigy packs fully charged for about 8 months. No problem at all, they're still in service.
I'm sorry you force me to get OT here

My statement is not inaccurate, and if you read more post in the battery&charger section you will find confirmation of it

And please don't mix up LiPo with LiIo (what are used in most utility and laptop) ... anyhow ..speaking of Laptops ... it is well known that Laptop battery due to their main usage of charge/discharge after 2/3 years they lose over 50% of capacity ...

Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
e_lm_70 is offline
Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Whilst the deterioration due to this effect is undoubtedly real, the magnitude of it does seem to have been exagerated somewhat. Many people charge and store their LiPos straight after use yet seem to suffer little, and huge numbers of consumer products also now use them without issue.

I have converted my Evo to a 2S LiPo and FrSky RF; it now lasts forever between charges, reducing the number of charge cycles dramatically compared to a NiMH pack and increasing the effective life of the battery. Sure it might die eventually, but how much are the cheap 2S/3S packs used for TXs? It's not like you need a world beating C rating, so for 7-10 every 2 years you can have a new one. I suspect even if you replaced it every year (which would be highly unlikley to be needed) LiPos would work out cheaper than Eneloops.
You are right about that now LiPo are cheap ... but as well NiMh Eneloop are cheap ... actually my 3 years old Eneloop are doing still very fine ... almost like day one

Charge NiMh is more simple ... and more practice for most of TX exposing just a two pole charger plug ..

Anyhow, I hope at least the X9D will have a normal AA battery, and no LiPo in the original package ...but ... why not ... let free to allow people to use LiPo in case ...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:40 PM
Mikarro is offline
Find More Posts by Mikarro
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Anyhow, I hope at least the X9D will have a normal AA battery
will not, RENATOA said 2S.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
renatoa is online now
Find More Posts by renatoa
Registered User
2s or 6AA, for the new 12/16 radios. Even 1s or 4AA is still considered, as are Graupner or Jeti radios.
X9D inherited case unfortunately force the usage of standard 8 cells blocks universal known as transmitter pack, either Ni or Li.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:31 PM
IceWind is offline
Find More Posts by IceWind
throw new IOPilotException();
IceWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
That last rending that was shared above is very old and is not current. Here is a clue, if the render does not have their name on the radio, it was a very early rendering, they were just a starting point to get feedback.

So please do not get excited if you do not see what you would like for that radio. The 16 channel is still very open to design changes. At least that is my understanding.

Long ago the stick positioning concerns were pointed out. They know the radio needs to be able to be held with one hand, and still work a stick. This is essential for glider pilots that need to throw planes, yet have control during the launch. Lets face it, a lot of us fly with just one hand from time to time. I have been told that this will be tested and the radios will be modified if needed to meet this goal. They understand this requirement.

-Wayne
One to the list (if it's not there already) be possible to rotate the gimbals. Allowing that greatly improves how comfortable a radio feel for different pilots.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
Mikarro is offline
Find More Posts by Mikarro
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
2s or 6AA, for the new 12/16 radios. Even 1s or 4AA is still considered, as are Graupner or Jeti radios.
I would consider 2P, if one cell does fail while flying you still have another cell to power your Tx.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:55 PM
albx is online now
Find More Posts by albx
Registered User
albx's Avatar
for when is planned the 12? any hint about the price?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:50 PM
wallaguest1 is offline
Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Registered User
wallaguest1's Avatar
means no sense to keep an 8AA setup in the 9XD,
I understand the shell is designed for them,
but considering the inner changes, wouldn't be better just make it ready for a 2S lipo? it will be much more lightweight radio and less power consuming

Mikarro had a nice idea :P redundant power
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Rotozuk is offline
Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Rotozuk's Avatar
I'll state again that I HOPE it is not lipo powered.

It will add considerably to the cost you all get to pay for the radio due to shipping costs and warranty costs. Create issues for supplying a charger that most of us do not want/need. Create possible liability issues and a whole new level of warning instructions/labels that would need to be included with each radio.

From a manufacturers point of view I hope you all, and hope FrSky has taken these issues into consideration.

You can all add lipo to the radio yourself. If you are like me, I already have several in existing radios that should drop right in.

Are you willing to pay an additional $25 (or more) for the radio to have it come equipped with a $5 lithium based battery?

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
Kilrah is offline
Find More Posts by Kilrah
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
How do mobile phones, laptops, and pretty much every portable device out there (all equipped with lithium-based batteries) do? Must not be impossible.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Frsky X12D renatoa Romania 22 Mar 15, 2013 06:01 AM
Cool FrSky Radio Sale Rotozuk Hot Online Deals 95 Apr 04, 2012 08:08 PM
Discussion New radio to go with FrSky Teamsherman Australia 37 Mar 28, 2012 06:36 AM
Sold FlySky 9x TH9X radio w/ FrSky Telemetry Module and 2s 1300 battery. NEW! JIMinKENTUCKY Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Feb 25, 2012 07:08 PM
Discussion Ordering a new radio setup, 9x + frsky telemetry, am I missing anything? carl1864 Radios 8 Nov 28, 2011 11:53 PM