May 05, 2012, 07:21 AM
Airfoils on X2, Maxa, Aspire, visually very similar but different.
Comparison of X2 over Xplorer on bottom...
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
David Vels
I think the obvious difference is the X2 is noticeably thicker at the hingeline. Helps create a torsionally stiffer control surface using the same layup schedule or as stiff for less material.
Thought's?
D.
May 05, 2012, 09:13 AM
That could be an added advantage, but the reason for the change was reported to give the glider better legs..
May 05, 2012, 10:21 AM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
looks a bit more laminar aft of the thick point.
May 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
What ever it takes to get the Bubble Ramp,Thrust vectors, and Suction Drag to be HAPPY !!!!!!!!
May 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
What ever it takes to get the Bubble Ramp,Thrust vectors, and Suction Drag to be HAPPY !!!!!!!!
Exactly!
May 05, 2012, 12:51 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Suction drag sucks
May 05, 2012, 01:09 PM
-----
...like you wouldn't believe...
May 05, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fly R/C writer
First flights done today, starting with a hand toss. Now, anyone who knows me can tell you I ain't no strong arm, so I had Ed Stewart throw for me, and he ain't no strong arm either. The plane never got more than 15 ft up, went about 250 out, turned 180 and came back, past me plus another 200 ft before I started running out of flying field space. I had to dump flaps and force her down before over-running the end of the field. Ridiculous!!!! But, okay, that was fun and so let's put it up the winch.

The hook is set right on the CG, set at 106. Standard TD winch with 330 line. Nice, steep and stable launch, this thing pings like a rocket. I used to think that only the Espada pings this hard, but I now have second thoughts. Handling is good, with excellent aileron response. (Differential set at 2 to 1). Pitch control is very nice and positive, and the yaw control feels better than my standard ST 3.8 at 72-oz. That machine has you waiting for the yaw reaction to occur after the stick input. The X-2 is much more responsive to the rudder.

While I did not feel that the X-2 is all that much faster in cruise than the standard X, (actually, hardly at all) it will move on out smartly when the nose is dropped just a hair. My standard did not do that, preferring to be kicked a bit harder or put into reflex. With the same camber set up as my standard, there is almost no change in speed. Adding about 3 mm more on the TE made a good diffference, giving me float and visibly slowing. Flying in reflex is nicer as it shows good penetration and speed, with much better energy retention than the standard.

Landing is awesome. If you get anything from 80-degrees flap or more, this plane will show you the brake lights. Consequently, you can get pretty slow over the LZ and to set her on target, simply suck up the flaps...she plops right down.

How do I compare the X-2 to the standard? I'm keeping this one!

Mike
May 05, 2012, 09:49 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Today Kieth and I went out in "unsettled" conditions in BC that means rain then sun then rain - then wind then sun with rainy windy periods. We actually had to wait in the car for the rain to stop for about 30 mins.

I decided to try the X2 with the full compliment of brass ballast. I put it up on the highstart and searched for some lift in the very cloudy (post rain) flying area we were in. Kieth had commented that with his 60 oz Agida it was tough going in these conditions and he was right the lift was really lite or none at all.

I found a patch that clearly indicated lift. I am flying my x2 at 115 and the ballast was set for this CG - this might be a tad rearward for this AUW (79 oz) and I may try a little further next time. Regardless, the signal was evident and the significant speed increase due to ballast made for a really stable ride.

If I came off the highstart and hit reflex the model would really cover ground and at 79 oz it maintained its mo to getyou where you want to be fast. I liked that.

The plane handled almost exactly the same as it did when it was dry. I think I was expecting something a little more difficult to fly...it was a pussy cat. When the wind really blows im going to laod the tungsten in (879gr)

At that CG and AUW the X2 seemed to have a more prominent sweet spot in terms of keeping the plane on step. If you got out of step the plane did not punish you but you did not go up as fast as you could...if that makes sense. When the model is dry (59xx oz) it goes up like rocket and you really have to fight to screw it up in lift.

I managed to core out and attain near winch launch alt. The lift pretty much started to die out again. I dropped my ballast and Kieth and I scratched all of the flights aside from the last one. Onthat flight an obvious infill indicated down the launch corridor. I went up - found the lift and then flew out so Kieth could launch and together we took chunks of that thermal for little rides and put in 10+ mins easily. That was as good a note to end on...

I am really interested in the 3.8 and 3.5 SL variants ....should be cool.
May 05, 2012, 11:02 PM
Jody Miller

A few more pics

Build is coming alone nicely. Should be ready to go next week.
Jody
May 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811
Build is coming alone nicely. Should be ready to go next week.
Jody
Next week ? you are not left handed are you ?
May 05, 2012, 11:37 PM
Jody Miller
Got go practice all day tomorrow! 12:30 and Im still building.
Jody
May 06, 2012, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811
Got go practice all day tomorrow! 12:30 and Im still building.
Jody
You practice? What a concept, had not ever crossed my mind...

Have a good day Jody!
Marc
May 07, 2012, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=webbsolution;21530553]Today Kieth and I went out in "unsettled" conditions in BC that means rain then sun then rain - then wind then sun with rainy windy periods. We actually had to wait in the car for the rain to stop for about 30 mins.

I decided to try the X2 with the full compliment of brass ballast. I put it up on the highstart and searched for some lift in the very cloudy (post rain) flying area we were in. Kieth had commented that with his 60 oz Agida it was tough going in these conditions and he was right the lift was really lite or none at all.

' Egida '

Quick Reply