Apr 21, 2012, 12:27 AM
Angry Bird ...
+1 yes mate - well done! No trim adjustment at all is not the sort of thing you see every day.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2012, 01:03 AM
What's 3D?
Thread OP
Cheers guys, btw looks like i got lucky, the vid of the maiden did record, just editing atm, will upload shortly so watch this space

Craig
Apr 21, 2012, 03:24 AM
What's 3D?
Thread OP
vid is up, on the previous page
Apr 21, 2012, 07:30 AM
Trumps
Very nice, looks like it flys well. I see it has the metal trunnion retracts. Are they 4mm or 5mm on the legs? Thanks
Rich
Apr 21, 2012, 08:33 AM
What's 3D?
Thread OP
Rich, they are 4mm legs mate, no oleos just a plastic surround.

Craig
Apr 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
Good to finally find this thread. I'm really psyched to get an airframe now.
Apr 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps
some more pics, for some reason it wouldn't let me upload them all in the 1st post.
Looks like they got a decent pilot in there. How is the ground handling? From your video it looks like ground looping is going to be a problem just like the real thing. I know taking off and landing is going to be challenging. Were you able to get it down a little prettier on another flight?
Apr 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
What's 3D?
Thread OP
Yup, the second flight was much prettier, we changed runways to better suit the breeze that picked up, much nicer straight into the wind.

Craig
Apr 21, 2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003
Yes I agree Parkzone made compromises and yes,mine is a belly flopper so no landing gear whatsoever.Don't get me wrong,the FMS 109 has lot's to like,including the retracts and nice scale flaps.It's just such a shame that they got so much great detail,and then screwed up the tail!Yes,I do know how to fix the tail,and I probably would if I were to buy one.And I just might.
The tail would be an easy fix as it is pretty close to scale. Just a little trimming on the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer would be all that's needed. If you were really anal retentive about it you could trim the trailing edge and make another larger rudder. It's close enough for me. I plan to repaint so the messing up of the paint job isn't an issue. It's a great looking chunk of foam.

@Trumps.
Great to hear that she can be landed decently. Keep the vids coming. Maybe they will inspire more of us to commit.
Apr 22, 2012, 04:44 AM
What's 3D?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randbo39
The tail would be an easy fix as it is pretty close to scale. Just a little trimming on the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer would be all that's needed. If you were really anal retentive about it you could trim the trailing edge and make another larger rudder. It's close enough for me. I plan to repaint so the messing up of the paint job isn't an issue. It's a great looking chunk of foam.

@Trumps.
Great to hear that she can be landed decently. Keep the vids coming. Maybe they will inspire more of us to commit.
Ok, here ya go mate, got another 3 flights in this morning, what a beautiful flying plane, no bad habits that i have noticed apart from needing to keep it tidy and prferably into the wind for landing, handles our club field very well which is no mean feat considering the uneven surface, no sign of nosing over! the gear definately needs to be retracted before you get too much speed up.
6 minute flights seem to be the safe bet with my batterys, on the last flight i pushed it a bit too far after a couple of go arounds due to another plane deciding to land without calling, and then i ballsed up the second approach. on the downwind of the third the motor cut due to a near flat battery, so i turned her onto final and put her down just fine minus power, still no problem! the 3300 pack took 3100mha, so it was definately flat
Ingo (Junkers Jumo from the FW190) thread got some great video for me of the 2nd flight of the day, and i will later put up some of the third flight.
FMS New Bf109f flight number 4 (5 min 12 sec)

Cheers
Craig
Apr 22, 2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW
Congrats!

I have had good luck reusing FMS decals. Just use some spray adhesive to reinstall.
How are you getting the paint off the back of the decal when you peel it off?

THanks
Alan
Apr 22, 2012, 07:10 AM
Schwalbe
Quote:
Ok, here ya go mate, got another 3 flights in this morning, what a beautiful flying plane, no bad habits that i have noticed apart from needing to keep it tidy and prferably into the wind for landing, handles our club field very well which is no mean feat considering the uneven surface, no sign of nosing over! the gear definately needs to be retracted before you get too much speed up.
Well done! That was a perfect landing mate. I didn't realise how good until watching the video (bit hard watching in the viewfinder). The only reason it tipped on to the wing was you turned while it was still too fast.
Hopefully when you're next back in town I'll have a motor in the Focke Wulf.
Cheers,

Ingo
Apr 22, 2012, 07:50 AM
Eagerly awaiting the first repaints to cover this rahter strange scheme. Hopefully FMS will release another scheme if and when the notice sales are a bit flat compared to the 190.

The weathering was nice and improves to look. It might look even better with an airbrush as the apparent "wiping" or rubbing it on settles in all the crevices of foam beads and looks a bit strange.
Apr 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
6 minute flights seem to be the safe bet with my batterys, on the last flight i pushed it a bit too far after a couple of go arounds due to another plane deciding to land without calling, and then i ballsed up the second approach. on the downwind of the third the motor cut due to a near flat battery, so i turned her onto final and put her down just fine minus power, still no problem! the 3300 pack took 3100mha, so it was definately flat
Ingo (Junkers Jumo from the FW190) thread got some great video for me of the 2nd flight of the day, and i will later put up some of the third flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJd95WpmJ4

Cheers
Craig
Man, That is just how a scale warbird should look in the air. Nice job on the big slow loops and rolls. I had to keep reminding myself that I was looking at a Styrofoam model.
Apr 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Hey guys im new to this thread and im not even sure if im doing this right lol, but I picked up the 109 kit from Philip and proceeded straight into changing the paint.If anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like with a different scheme this is where im at.

Quick Reply