Jan 05, 2020, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommis85
Bahaha I follow now!

Really I just want someone to send me some nice strong landing gears for the 109 already...
What about trying the p-40 spring struts?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2020, 09:46 PM
Not sure on how well those would fit? Have those been used for the 109's?
Might require a spot of reading....
Jan 05, 2020, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Not sure on how well those would fit? Have those been used for the 109's?
Might require a spot of reading....
Yes, it has been used. This is covered in this thread and discussed most recently last month.
Last edited by spit n pitts; Jan 05, 2020 at 10:57 PM.
Jan 06, 2020, 12:59 AM
Ah yeah I see, I shall back pedal a little and have a read...
Jan 06, 2020, 08:26 PM
Until I get an 85 Amp ESC, found I can make a Gens Ace 5s 5000 mah fit and can balance the plane with some modification to a spare canopy. With the stock 65 Amp ESC and motor, I could limit the throttle to approximately 80% in the transmitter and have a max throttle voltage and amp draw equal to 4s for longer flight times (than the 4s 3300 mah). A brief bench test would determine the throttle limit needed.

Come on FMS, give us a Version 3 of this good flying plane with the power upgrades we have discussed including solid spring loaded landing gear and a beefed up spinner back plate. Make the battery bay suitable for a wide variety of batteries as well with room to make balance easy.
Did the Mustang not get a Version 8?
Last edited by Creative RC; Jan 06, 2020 at 08:57 PM.
Jan 06, 2020, 08:54 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Man I am so happy mine does more than satisfactory stock.. All this banter on what works and doesn't and why.. And cost and work... Blah..
Jan 06, 2020, 11:35 PM
low, left, & fast
Actually, I've had a good time with my stock 109 as well. All about power management and momentum management. Truly, it flies like a real prop fighter as they were much more limited in maneuvers than you might think. I will go for a 5s setup next tho as it will be (agreed) more fun.
Jan 07, 2020, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts-n-volts
Actually, I've had a good time with my stock 109 as well. All about power management and momentum management. Truly, it flies like a real prop fighter as they were much more limited in maneuvers than you might think.
Same here... the issue of under power appears only when I fly my Friedrich together with DF´s Emil - there I have the direct comparison. But flying the Friedrich only I really enjoy its scale behavior and flying envelope. I will defintely keep the 4S power-station in the future for relax flights and I will use the nimble Emil for more aggresive flying instead.

The 4S power doesn´t threaten the plane as a whole at all ... unlike the OEM undercarriage and the prop backplate. They really cry for and and upgrade...
Jan 07, 2020, 09:39 AM
If the stock 109 flies like this one, it is fast enough for me and definitely at least scale in is flight characteristics.

It looks to me like the folks who are having landing gear and prop issues may be those using 5s batteries.

Banana Hobby / FMS Messerschmitt BF-109 Review & Build Guide By Rich Baker in HD (59 min 38 sec)
[/QUOTE]
Jan 07, 2020, 12:21 PM
I also enjoy the stock power. Very scale flight speed, but still has the grunt for an impressive vertical climb (maybe thanks to the rotational inertia from the 3 blade prop/spinner)
Jan 07, 2020, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative RC
Until I get an 85 Amp ESC, found I can make a Gens Ace 5s 5000 mah fit and can balance the plane with some modification to a spare canopy. With the stock 65 Amp ESC and motor, I could limit the throttle to approximately 80% in the transmitter and have a max throttle voltage and amp draw equal to 4s for longer flight times (than the 4s 3300 mah). A brief bench test would determine the throttle limit needed.

Come on FMS, give us a Version 3 of this good flying plane with the power upgrades we have discussed including solid spring loaded landing gear and a beefed up spinner back plate. Make the battery bay suitable for a wide variety of batteries as well with room to make balance easy.
Did the Mustang not get a Version 8?
Ah yeah that's a decent size battery! Do you know how much it will weigh? Around 675g or so or is it one of those lighter compacts?

Damn - 8 revisions of the Stang! Yeah if only they did just one more version for the 109 with all of those points you mentioned! Wouldn't that be great haha!
Jan 07, 2020, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spit n pitts

It looks to me like the folks who are having landing gear and prop issues may be those using 5s batteries.
Ah man, I wish that was the case hey? The thing is that back in the day I flew my first 109 on just 4s batteries (2800-3300's)...both mine and my brother's plane had plenty of bent landing gear struts. They bend just enough for the gear door / cowling to not sit flush anymore which spoils the airflow of the wing's underside a little. They still retract fine, but it just doesn't look any good and you can see them drooping out when pulling some G's.

But then, having battery that weighs another 100g more definitely doesn't help the matter haha!

However, all they'd have to do is use the same thickness legs / strength as on the FW190 v2 as she can take some heavy landings without bending.
Jan 07, 2020, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts-n-volts
Actually, I've had a good time with my stock 109 as well. All about power management and momentum management. Truly, it flies like a real prop fighter as they were much more limited in maneuvers than you might think. I will go for a 5s setup next tho as it will be (agreed) more fun.
That's actually quite true! The 109 was a very good example of a momentum fighter and was well know for its boom and zoom style attach runs! You could say she was the drag racer of the Luftwaffe?

And yeah as for the 4s vs the 5s...I'd have probably flown the 4s again like I did back with my first 109 but didn't really feel like buying another lot of LiPo's after only just buying 6x 5s for the 190.

Plus, I also remember that with the 4s's you'd often find yourself at 90-100% throttle, especially with some wind and older packs whereas with the 5s you just lock her in at 60-70% and then just use momentum as before for various maneuvers...
Jan 07, 2020, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Ah yeah that's a decent size battery! Do you know how much it will weigh? Around 675g or so or is it one of those lighter compacts?

Damn - 8 revisions of the Stang! Yeah if only they did just one more version for the 109 with all of those points you mentioned! Wouldn't that be great haha!
That Gens ACE 5s 5000 weighs 614 grams compared to my 4s 3300 which weighs 380 grams. A full 234 grams more.

Yes, in a Version 3 upgrading the power system so you have the option of a 4s or 5s setup would be great much like many smaller planes that are now offered as 3s or 4s. Just adds to the fun.

So to the designers (as they do read RC Groups), I would suggest to look at the the power system (their 550 kv motor has the potential for a 4s/5s role), the landing gear, and the spinner back plate, and oh yes secure the motor mount so it can handle 5s to keep it from spinning out of its anchorage like we have seen in a couple of posts. I would suspect they are already aware of these things (as they too like to build better mouse traps) but when decisions are made it all boils down to a business decisions which is understandable.
Last edited by Creative RC; Jan 08, 2020 at 07:37 AM.
Jan 07, 2020, 09:08 PM
That's interesting - my 4000mah Zippy 5s already weighs 615g! I guess the Gens would be of a much higher build quality with lighter materials being used?

Quick Reply