Apr 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Thoughts or input on the Steigiesen

Hey guys,

Due to the long lead times on some of the other top performing DLG's my son is heavily considering buying a Steig.

I read this forum almost every day & I haven't seen any input or thoughts on the Steigeisen.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?

He's a very strong thrower(read monster) & good pilot. Needless to say he's looking for something that will perform at a competitive level.

Also, as he's using all 2.4 equipment he's looking for a kevlar nose on the pod to get around the carbon interference issues w/ an all carbon pod.

Anything you might be able to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
Last edited by LAR43; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added 2.4 sentence
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2012, 01:53 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Looks like a short lead time on Oleg's Validol also.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Great ship. Funny, I quit flying the Steigeisen after waiting over 6 months for a replacement wing.

The Steig is a high pilot workload airplane. It's very capable and high performance but you have to be doing the right things or it isn't happy. When you do the right things it's a great airframe.

Just a personal opinion... the Validol is a more forgiving airframe and also capable of winning any contest it enters.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Aurora Builder
Get a Validol if you can, plane is great and the support system rocks!
Apr 18, 2012, 02:42 PM
There are lots of good airplanes around these days (Akcent, Validol, Helios, Vortex, Stoebel, Concept). I get to face them all. I don't get to face may Steigs, especially in the hands of the better flyers.

I'd have to say: keep looking.

Yours, Greg
Apr 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
Mike M.
I really like mine, especially in active conditions. Monster launches, great wind penetration, good fit/finish and durability. Negatives are small in comparison. It basically needs a bit more attention from the pilot to fly well, and isn't quite as forgiving as some (I don't mind this). Not as much of an all-around plane for varying conditions as some of the other top ships. It gives up a little in light air float because of the need for speed. But that's what makes it excel in active air, which is much more common than dead air. On the expensive side because all 4 servos, wing bags, ballast kit, throwing blade, etc. are all extra. The build is also a bit more complex due to the unique way the control surfaces are driven. But all in all a very nice plane.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
To me, it is better to wait and get what you really want than to just buy a plane that is available now. Of course, it the plane you really want is available now, then just get it.

For me, I fly a plane till it dies and so far it has taken a while. I still have all my planes (some/all have been repaired but still very flyable).

To me, the time it takes to get a plane, is small compared to the time you will spend flying it.

Also, like in most sports with personal equipment, the equipment must fit the user. In this case, you might find whatever plane you buy, doesn't suite the pilot even if you have flown someone else's or like what you read on RCG. In the end, you might sell it and order something else.

Try to go to a contest or a club flying field and see if someone who owns the plane your son is interested in will let him fly it. It might help to prevent delaying getting the right plane. Even if he flies the plane he wants, it could be setup poorly or just not the way he will like it so flying a couple other pilot's planes would be even better.

For myself, I decided to just buy one and fly it for a month or so. There always seems to be a pilot who will like whatever plane that is out there so I seriously doubt you'll have a hard time reselling a very new plane. there is not substitute for trimming a plane yourself and trying it out for a while.

Best of luck and welcome your son to the addiction!

Frank
Last edited by Fly2High; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Apr 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
I flew mine for a while and I really liked it. Saying the launching capabilities are off the charts is an understatement. I liked how it handled in high wind and turbulence, but I felt at a disadvantage using it in light conditions.

Only reason I sold mine was because I'm basically only flying my own planes now.
Apr 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
I had one, and loved it! Mine had been used hard by another guy and I picked it up used. It had been broken and fixed waaaay to many times by myself and the previous owner, so she was a bit heavy.

It feels great on launch - and I am sold on the curved peg they have. No more gloves here People with more experience than me say it isn't terribly forgiving, but I thought that it performed great. The best part IMO is the fuse. The wide shape is super stiff in yaw, and radio install is a breeze.

I would have bought at least one more new, but I was too dazzled by the appearance of the Vortex at the AZ Open. Vortex shares a very similar fuse design, which is one the the reasons I bit on it. Should I see an open slot in my glider shed, I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

-Matt
Apr 18, 2012, 07:34 PM
F3B and F3K
I fly Steigs for more than 4 years now and still love them:

Is it competitive? Herman and I both reached the fly offs at the worlds with it. I am not a great pilot, so I would not be able to compensate for a bad plane.

Spare parts? In Europe I got them repeatably within 3 weeks.

How does it fly? Very neutral and precise on all axes.

It is a great allrounder, I just wish they could make them lighter and stiffer. The ones I got for the worlds were 290-300gr.
For dead air I used a SalPeter.

I love 4 servos in the pod, you can put in reliable servos. Careful install and it is flutter free up to 70m

If your son is a gorilla launcher, you may need to patch the vertical and the wingtip. And occasionally check the fuse for small cracks (I had to do that).

Cheers,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Apr 18, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: cracks and stuff
Apr 18, 2012, 07:41 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Duke, you're a stud pilot. I have a picture on my wall with you, me, and Jeff from the Nats a couple of years ago all holding our Steigeisens.... one of my personal favorites.
Apr 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I let my son read them & he's really confused now!

It's all sincerely appreciated!
Larry
Apr 19, 2012, 02:51 AM
turn, turn, turn.
I've got over 250 hours on my 2 Steigeisens.
I love this plane.... It is a high performance dream.
Apr 19, 2012, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
I flew mine for a while and I really liked it. Saying the launching capabilities are off the charts is an understatement. I liked how it handled in high wind and turbulence, but I felt at a disadvantage using it in light conditions.
+1, of all the glider I had, here is how I would rate the steig compared to others:
Steig SalPeter Twister T2 Stobel V3 FW5

launch +++++ +++ +++ ++++ ++++ +++
glide ratio +++++ ++ +++ ++++ ++++ ++++
thermal +++ +++++ +++++ ++++ ++++ +++++
easiness to pilot +++ +++++ +++++ ++++ ++++ +++
talkative +++ +++++ +++++ +++++ +++++ +++++
dead air +++ ++++ ++++ +++++ ++++ ++
quality +++ +++++ ++++ ++++ ++ ++++

that is only my point of view. the Twister2 is my favorite, as it can handle any condition with the same level of performance.

Cedric,

PS: sorry for the appearance, spaces aren't taken into account when displayed...
Apr 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hi

I have 2 Steig's ( both versions ) 4 servos in the fuse & Top drive for over a year and a half now.

This glider isn't for beginners that is for sure, not on the flying style and also the adjustments.

Couple of months ago i had some thoughts of give them up for other models, and just before doing so, i have contact one of the forum member for his planes setup.

Since then i have tested his setup, i have changed my mind and decided to keep them both.

The Steig is especially my favorite plane for those turbulent windy days 6-9 m/s wind.

Recommended manufacture CG (71 mm) isn't good enough to put the maximum out of him, something around 77 - 78 mm make the plane so good it is unbelievable.

If your son will decide to buy the Steig, i truly recommend RetoF3X Setup
it is a bit different from other of my gliders setup, but it work very good for this plane

thermal: camber +3mm
aileron to rudder: 4mm
aileron: up 14mm down 8mm
no snap flap

distance:
camber neutral
aileron up 14mm, down 10mm
aileron to rudder: 5mm
snap flap 2.5mm

Speed:
camber -2,5
aileron up 14mm
aileron down 9mm

Launch preset: camber neutral.
some elevator uptrim for rotation.

Don't use more camber in launch preset. The more you put the flaps down, the more up elevator it seem to need.

Good luck for every plane you choose
Last edited by Beetle-Jet; Apr 22, 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply