Open source speaking height/speed/variometer - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
Quad Whisperer
Discussion

Open source speaking height/speed/variometer

Hi, this is my open source airspeed / height / variometer for R/C gliders. The voice/vario sound is generated on board the plane and sent to the ground by a audio link. The speed and height are spoken with regular intervals, first the speed in km/h and then the height above ground in meters.

Talking sailplane airspeed / height / vario test (2 min 37 sec)

The reason for the huge micro-controller package is simple, I ordered the wrong one!

Source code and Eagle PCB layout is attached.

Todo:
-New smaller layout
-Controll by R/C channel.
-Increase maximum sensable height.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
Very interesting!
What are you using to send back to the ground?
Apr 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Quad Whisperer
The audio is transmitted to ground by the audio channel of the video link.

I was planning on using a stand alone audio transmitter on 433MHz to a walkie talkie, but could not find any suitable.
Apr 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
Kapteinkuk,

have a look here:

http://www.hmradio.de/en/home.html

You might want to use the "70 TX-S" type ...

Herbert
Apr 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
Quad Whisperer
That one look good!
Do you know where to buy?
It tried googling it.
Apr 27, 2012, 11:55 AM
Very cool. Nice thermal there!
..a
May 23, 2012, 10:11 AM
Very nice project despite of monster CPU . Anyway, I'm trying to understand a concept of using a pipe which looks like a Total Energy Sensor, but has two ports and is connected to two pressure sensors. KK, could you please add some more details?
May 29, 2012, 05:07 PM
Quad Whisperer
It is a pitot-static tube. It combines a pitot tube (for speed) and a static port (for altitude, and speed reference)
Sep 15, 2012, 02:30 AM

Is any ready to use package available yet??
Preferably with a UHF transmitter that can be picked up with the standard Australian UHF receivers??

Thanks,

Peter Stuy

Australia
Oct 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Very interesting project! thanks for sharing.

Huh, how do you make these named ports in eagle schematic? never knew they were there :-)
Oct 16, 2012, 08:56 AM
@kapteinkuk where did you source these sensors? I found a source for the tube, but the sensors are out of stock at farnell...
Nov 17, 2012, 02:03 PM
hi kapteinkuk, company that made ​​your the pcb?
Nov 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
Will you be producing these to sell? I would be very interested
Nov 24, 2012, 08:52 PM
Quad Whisperer
Hi, I abandoned this project due to the cost/complexity and the fact that the sensors where disturbed by RF below 2.4GHz, making it difficult to use other down links.

Instead I can recommend my newest Vario project here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1749208

This one is simple, inexpensive and performs well. I had to drop the voice readouts in favor to use a simpler down link, but I do not miss it.