Apr 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
R&D experimental
Thread OP
Idea

Foam experimental ideas

Hey guys! I'm into building scratch built planes that are experimentals. I use a 400 brushless out runner with a 18 amp esc and a 1300 mAh battery. What would be some good designs I could make? I normally like slower flying planes of larger size.
Last edited by Rcexperimental; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
treefinder
RCE: Welcome to RCGroups, the foamside and the forum! Ya know, you just asked the same question as "why is there air?" (Bill Cosby 1964?). The question is way too broad, and the answers will be just as broad. You need to narrow it down in several ways. First what genre are you interested in? Experimentals can mean just about anything from real planes that were manufacturer's experiments to full scale home builts, to things that come out of styrofoam dreams! Second, you need to better define your gear. The term "400" is about as non descriptive as 1/2A was back in the slimerdays. Tell the manufacturer, weight in grams and the KV, and we'll have a much better idea of the motor's capabilities. Also, is the battery a 2s, 3s, 4s (number of cells) which will tell how much energy is gonna be available to the motor. Lastly, what size plane are you looking for? Wing spans of 36-48"?

Once you defiine all that, you might get some decent answers, otherwise you will just get every poster's favorite plane with little relationship to the gear you have. (not that that isn't fun to read sometimes, but there's a thread with over 600 planes and links to their build guides right here in the stickies at top of page that you could browse and learn more than just getting a name and link.
Apr 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
R&D experimental
Thread OP
I'm just looking for ideas of the planes shape and stuff. It's basic.
Apr 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
I've thought about this long and hard myself. Some builds I am planning.

A Power Puff Girl plane, something along the lines of the FlyGuy series but more cartoony like the cartoon.

A flying Tardis (Dr Who) more a box design with prop in the center complete with led indicator light atop the box.

A simple box design where the fuse is pretty much a stick and has a cross member fore and aft that has the wings the wings would be about 10 inches wide but would be the length of the plane, chord would be something like 30 inches. Not sure how well it would fly, or even if it would, but I'd like something no one else at the field has.
Apr 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
treefinder
then start here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1333878 You'll have over 600 planes to browse through!
Apr 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
springer I just finished the ElectroFFFreak from that thread, waiting for the maiden. Next in that lineup for me I think is the Blu-Baby 33 Classic. It looks fun. Then I think the 3D bipe maybe.

I do still have intent to make some customs.
Apr 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Welcome Rce,

I am going to suggest a Geo-bat. There are plans in the thread and many successful flights have been made with this unique patented design.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1386754
Apr 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
but this IS my happy place
Hi RC, the springy one is a wise one, me thinkest he's been doing this for a while. I now read and re read his answers before making a move. Then I meditate about it. I put my question on paper, put it in a bottle and set it afloat. When it returns, it has the answer...the same one as the spring posted.
Apr 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
R&D experimental
Thread OP
Alright so I decided to start making a plane with basic designs. It is built out of .5 inch thick foamular. Right now I cut out the main fuselage that is 24 inches long// 8.5 inches wide// .5 inches thick. I'll post some pix. Soon. Originally I was thinking about going with the FSW design for the wings but after doing some R&D about them, Im starting to dislike it. I only have the motor mounted with a parkzone 480 size motor. And it is. Punted through plastic screwed to wood(I think plywood) it's made out of the paddle ball paddles you use on the beach. Anyways then the plywood is mounted to the foam through superglue. It's a bit nose heavy now. I want this plane to have elevons. And my servo wires aren't long so it has to be somewhat compact. I'm worried that the plane is going to be nose heavy from the motor and battery. I'll try to center it as much as I can. What type of wing span and design should I have?
Apr 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
treefinder
Maybe start with a sketch of what you want, post it with a pic of that you have done, and we'll be make to help. With a 480 motor you are looking at 48" down in a conventional layout. What's the motor weight & kv rating?
Apr 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
RC I had this issue with my ElectroFFFreak, I needed long servo wires, but didn't want to spend tons of money for 4 extensions and a Y-harness, so I ordered 2 meters of servo wire from HobbyKing and did some soldering. Everything works great and the servo wires are custom fit so there is no 3 inch excess cause I needed 9 inch extender but 12 was the next size up issues.

Also springer is right on, put something on paper. Keep weight in mind while building. Unless you have the fuse built, tail feathers on and wings on it's a bit early to guestimate it's noseheavy. I thought the same thing with the Freak till I got the wing assembled and tail section on and found it balanced with no dead weight.
Apr 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
R&D experimental
Thread OP
the motor is a 960Kv motor and here are pics of plans and fuselagehttps://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=4796675&stc=1https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=4796676&stc=1
Apr 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
Is that like a reverse wing design?

Shouldn't you have a horizontal stab up front?
Apr 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
R&D experimental
Thread OP
Ded I would use elevon mixing instead. Yeah it's a FSW forward Swept wing.
Apr 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
I like should be pretty mean.

Quick Reply