This thread is privately moderated by argo-2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 17, 2012, 06:21 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
Thread OP
Discussion

Bigbird Swept Wing

Corflute 2.4m swept wing.

Build log is at my local here: http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules...C&type=&mode=0

Last edited by argo-2; Apr 29, 2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Adding drawing as I go.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2012, 06:50 AM
Thread OP
Attached:
CG Calculator & Wing Loading. Wing loading is inaccurate as AUW is anticipated to be 3.1kg now.
Apr 17, 2012, 06:59 AM
Thread OP
Zipped DWG file of full plane from top view.
Zipped SKP file of plane.
Last edited by argo-2; Aug 22, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Apr 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
As SCREWY as I wanna be!!!
Hey, thanx a bunch for sharing these!!!
Dirk
Apr 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
Sometimes it work some don't
Thanks Argo, any updates on this one? completed? Maiden?
Apr 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
@ SCREWYFITS - You're welcome

@ RCSquale - Far from maiden sadly. Just glued up the 2nd wing
Next up is fus which I'm thinking I'll have 6 fus-ribs (running lengthwise) and part formers crosswise. Underbody Coro skin should be ok, but top skin may need to be done in sections due to the compound curving.
Apr 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
Thread OP
Hi RCS
Just looked at your blog - you've been building and flying wings for quite sometime Can you see any major errors in my design or thinking?

Also I see on your blog you built a Tuffy. That was my first build - wonderful plane that I still get a kick out of flying, even without ailerons. Here's mine before it trained me (looks a lot more weary now )

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSquale
Thanks Argo, any updates on this one? completed? Maiden?
Apr 19, 2012, 03:34 AM
Argo, thanks for appreciating my blog, I missed to place many of my build and I should update when I have time

Let me sit down quitely and look more carefully into your build and if ever I see something that might raise question I will definitly let you know buddy.

But I'm no master, it will only be my 2 cents questionning or advise

I will have a look tomorrow as it is my weekend here in the UAE.
Apr 19, 2012, 03:40 AM
I see you are using Coroplast and you placed a central flat spart made out of plexyglass right?

I will go for Depron build myself and do all my ribs with depron too, as for the spar wing stiffener I will use those cable tray puller, which basically are flat wires of 3mm in height and flat. They are acting the same way as carbon fiber flat spar and should keep the build at a reasonable weight.

I have right now several unfinished project unfortunately and need to complete them before I go for something else otherwise I will never finish anything. My work load is very high right now so I don't have any time to put my nose on my build ;(

But as soon as I start this build I'll definitly post my log into your thread.
Apr 19, 2012, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
Sounds good RCS. Yes to central flat spar, but sandwich of plexiglass and Coroplast (aka: Correx) either side. Plexiglass is a brand name for polycarbonate, right (not acrylic)?

Be intersted in seeing a pic of the cable tray puller. Have pulled a few miles of cables in my time but not come across this.
__________________________________________________ ________

Hey Screwyfits - how goes your MIG-7? did you get that roll-rate sorted? Hoping I've got enough aileron built into Bigbird - she's got more than the MIG-7 so should be ok.
Apr 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
Yes argo but it was in reference of the material

Here is the cable puller wire I was talking about:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334839061.556950.jpg
Views: 147
Size: 122.7 KB
Description:

I got a brand new roll of 20m for about 3$ here in the UAE! Can't really go cheaper then that can I? Lol

Now the only thing I have to make sure is if it will create interference or not. I think it should work out fine.
Apr 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
Ooopppsss Tapatalk goofed up there with many similar pics on my post! Sorry about that.
Apr 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
Thread OP

Added wing root ribs to drawings collection.

Made the wing root ribs today. I drew around the wing, scanned into Visio and then used the offset function to reduce by the skin thickness. Reckon they came out well. Will finally finish the wing root with an external polycarbonate cover rib. Still to drill the CF tube holes and fit them, so can't glue these ribs in just yet.

Quick Reply