Thread Tools
Apr 15, 2012, 09:00 PM
AMA 46133
Discussion

Open Pilot CC3D flight controller board


A few of us have been testing the new Open Pilot CC3D flight controller board. It has some new gyros in it. Don't ask me any technical questions because I can't answer you.

I personally don't like to fly in attitude mode but the Naza really changed my mind. The I tried the CC3D and the attitude mode is every bit as good as the Naza except for altitude hold. It doesn't have a baro in the CC3D.

I am now going to test the camera stabilization on it and see if it is any good. There are some more fine tuning available from the GCS interface for camera stabilization. Sure looks interesting.

I did some fast descents with the quad and there are some wobble but nothing uncontrollable. It seems a lot less than the older CC board.

The rate mode is also very nice. Has a very good locked in feel to it. I think overall the FPV guys will love this board. I am just about ready to test it on some AP use.

In the meantime here is a video of the first flight.

20120414 Testing Open Pilot CC3D (1 min 50 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Destroyer of G-10
askman's Avatar
hopefully it will be more available as well. I find that using stiffer props really helps the wobble in fast descent. only issue is lack of good light weight rigid EP props for our use. except for graupner and cheap hobby king 10x6 being the exception. MA has new prop out for us as well from what I hear.

looking good otherwise.
Apr 16, 2012, 04:25 AM
Registered User
juz70's Avatar
Supa cool FC for sure. I agree with SeismicCWave, attitude mode is actually fun to fly. Rate mode rocks. See how it just locks in after some serious manouvres. Keep in mind, I flew in huge wind, unbalanced props and minimal tuning.

CC3D FPV flight test (3 min 20 sec)
Apr 16, 2012, 04:44 AM
Registered User
TruckBasher's Avatar
I wish I can test CC3D and PiX...thanks for sharing video makes me want them even more
Apr 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
I Like Popcorn
flylite's Avatar
All looking very promising, I would give my right arm for even one of the older CC's.
Nice to see some feedback from the testers
Apr 16, 2012, 06:08 PM
Registered User
Nice video Juz. Good to see that backpack ground station out and about + the CC3D
Apr 16, 2012, 09:22 PM
Registered User
TruckBasher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite
All looking very promising, I would give my right arm for even one of the older CC's.
Nice to see some feedback from the testers

Funny you mentioned this..been waiting for months and been turned down by sellers cause Im out in US, suddenly 2weeks ago I got a fellow multi flyer to tell me where he got it and lucky i got one, then that same guy wanted to trade his CC for my whole ardu setup..now I have 2 and loving it...

I am hoping I would be lucky again for CC3d...like David A said...you have to be in the right place and right time.
Apr 17, 2012, 04:53 PM
I Like Popcorn
flylite's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckBasher
Funny you mentioned this..been waiting for months and been turned down by sellers cause Im out in US, suddenly 2weeks ago I got a fellow multi flyer to tell me where he got it and lucky i got one, then that same guy wanted to trade his CC for my whole ardu setup..now I have 2 and loving it...

I am hoping I would be lucky again for CC3d...like David A said...you have to be in the right place and right time.
Share!
Apr 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
I Like Popcorn
flylite's Avatar
Double post, ignore.

(asked in another topic)
Apr 17, 2012, 07:56 PM
Registered User
Av8Chuck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
A few of us have been testing the new Open Pilot CC3D flight controller board. It has some new gyros in it. Don't ask me any technical questions because I can't answer you.

I personally don't like to fly in attitude mode but the Naza really changed my mind. The I tried the CC3D and the attitude mode is every bit as good as the Naza except for altitude hold. It doesn't have a baro in the CC3D.

I am now going to test the camera stabilization on it and see if it is any good. There are some more fine tuning available from the GCS interface for camera stabilization. Sure looks interesting.

I did some fast descents with the quad and there are some wobble but nothing uncontrollable. It seems a lot less than the older CC board.

The rate mode is also very nice. Has a very good locked in feel to it. I think overall the FPV guys will love this board. I am just about ready to test it on some AP use.

In the meantime here is a video of the first flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEaALJQU8s

The truly amazing thing about your test flight is that you shot it with a HX9V and no JELLO. Very nice.

Its so hard to tell from online videos but the controller doesn't appear to be that different from the original CC board. Which isn't a put down of this controller as much a testament of good the CC board is [if your fortunate enough to have one]..

Too bad there isn't a Baro for altitude hold.
Apr 18, 2012, 12:45 AM
Flying like a bird!
dompower's Avatar
I am curious to find the difference between CC and CC3D.
Both are just 6DOF or more than that???

Dom
Apr 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
AMA 46133
>>The truly amazing thing about your test flight is that you shot it with a HX9V and no JELLO. Very nice.<<

I am getting a few machines that work well with the HX9V.

>>Its so hard to tell from online videos but the controller doesn't appear to be that different from the original CC board. Which isn't a put down of this controller as much a testament of good the CC board is<<

Exactly, it is hard to tell because I try to fly with as little movement as possible and Juz loves to whip it around. So we are just showing off the two extremes. Users will really have to try the board themselves to appreciate the stability. I am sure the CC3D will be a lot more available than the CC because of the availability of the sensors.

>>Too bad there isn't a Baro for altitude hold.<<

Open Pilot is reserving that for the Revo.
Apr 18, 2012, 01:12 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dompower
I am curious to find the difference between CC and CC3D.
Both are just 6DOF or more than that???

Dom
Yes they are both 6 DOF. The original CC board had a lot of issues with defective gyros. That was the main reason why it was not more available to users. For a while OP was getting 20% defective rate. That was really bad.

So the work around is to use a more reliable gyro sensors and hope that the defective rate is lower. In the meantime OP took all the suggestions and refined the code.

Now the gyros are definitely working better and the code is work well. So there is no reason why the CC3D cannot be as good if not better than the CC board.

One of the biggest issue with the CC board was the attitude mode drift. With the new sensor there is virtually no attitude mode drift. At least with my test board. I can flip the flight mode switch between rate mode and attitude mode and nothing changes except for stability.
Apr 18, 2012, 04:52 AM
Flying like a bird!
dompower's Avatar
I wish OP would have added a baro to have AH features.
Also will be a tough competition to Naza.
Apr 18, 2012, 06:16 AM
Registered User
juz70's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dompower
I wish OP would have added a baro to have AH features.
Also will be a tough competition to Naza.
Openpilot IS working on those features on its auto pilot. It's called the revolution. Coptercontrol is a flight controller not a auto pliot.

More CC3D tests

CC3D FPV flight test 2 (2 min 20 sec)


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale NIB Open Pilot Copter Control Board for Trade wingspinner Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 Mar 04, 2012 09:10 PM
Wanted Open Pilot Copter Control Board airbagit13 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 18 Feb 17, 2012 09:14 AM
Sold FS: Open Pilot Control Board and Case AtTheCross Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 11 Feb 13, 2012 06:23 PM
For Sale DragonLink 12CH RX in trade for Open Pilot Copter Control CC board Wind_of_Change Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Feb 11, 2012 11:18 PM
Wanted Open Pilot Copter control board cryhavoc38 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Jan 12, 2012 01:48 PM