Apr 15, 2012, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
Question

Traxxas Spartan Lipos Setup

Hi folks

Just got the spartan yesterday, and will be using Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Packs. 2 of them. I have Traxxas plugs being added to the plugs. Are there any other requirements/additional steps needed to this setup for 50mph?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Might want to ditch the traxxas plugs and go to 5.5mm bullets, but by the way you worded it you don't solder so that's in the future.
search spartan cooling mods and do as many as you can/are willing, the cooling on them isn't great (hearsay, don't own one myself)
Apr 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Boaterguy is correct, a common "mistake" is to use connectors that arent up to the task................those connectors are great for land rigs but not boats that will be pulling 70+ amps constant.................sure they'll probably work, but they will get hot, possibly unsolder themselves, and steal precious amps from your motor!
Apr 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Hmmm...will call LHS..hope they have not put the connectors on already!
Apr 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
Memento Mori
I suggest not running 6s! Screw what the box says, the setup has proved itself time and time again that its NOT able to handle 6s running. The motor itself on the castle equipped spartan is awesome, but the rpms and amp draw are out of control. Thought I would be honest and jmho.
Last edited by Diesel6401; Apr 15, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Apr 15, 2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401
I suggest not running 6s! Screw what the box says, the setup has proved itself time and time again that its able to handle 6s running. The motor itself on the castle equipped spartan is awesome, but the rpms and amp draw are out of control. Thought I would be honest and jmho.
Did you mean "not able"..............????
Apr 15, 2012, 09:53 PM
Memento Mori
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1
Did you mean "not able"..............????
Oppps sorry about that typo yes "not able" ill update my post. Thanks for catching that scorp!
Apr 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Anything else out there that might do 50 mph which works? I've still got it boxed up..so may send it back..Or..Can I make some mods to the stock setup?
Last edited by rcwarrior; Apr 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Apr 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
You can run it on 5s with a bit larger prop...............maybe like an x442 or m445, should get real close to 50, if not over.
Apr 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Stupid question..but can I use deans connectors instead? Everything else I have is deans...
Apr 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
if you're doing it, might as well go to 5.5's, deans are rated for 60 amps constant, if they desolder and short you won't be happy.
Apr 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
Memento Mori
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwarrior
Stupid question..but can I use deans connectors instead? Everything else I have is deans...
No. Deans will melt. Amp draw is to high in boating. Use 5.5mm bullets or if your not comfy with those (as its easy to direct short a battery) you can use EC5 connectors.

I also agree with scorp and running 5s if looking for speed. If I owned a spartan I personally would run 4s and either a cf42 or cf45. The plastic hull won't survive to many crashes at higher speed. I think the Spartan is great for people looking to sport boat, but as a higher speed boat looking for 50mph + they went the wrong direction with it. What works well in cars typically fails in boating and they used their car knowledge to build this. A boat can do 50mph and more on less then 6s, its all about the setup! A 4s setup and a Spartan you could have some fun!
Apr 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401
...I personally would run 4s and either a cf42 or cf45...
I don't know if you could fit a single lipo in there but:
http://fightercat57.freeforums.org/n...5000-t711.html
Apr 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Dang you guys are good!

So these are the lipos I have:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20739

I'll go with the EC5 connectors for the batteries, and ESC I guess. I'll take any recommendations for recommended 4S, or 5S
Apr 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
6s - unless you're afraid.
Then again, who am I to say what's good for you. For inexperienced RC boaters, like my brother, I give him 2 2s batts, while i use 2 3s batts. Keep in mind, I'd keep doing it even if the boat blew up, catches fire, or anything like that, i assume so long as the boat makes me happy i'll continue to fix or replace what goes wrong. Remember, "BOAT" means Bring On Another Thousand. While this applies to my 34' Yellowfin, I'm beginning to see how this particular niche of RC can become a jack (money) pit in a heart beat. Having said that, I purchased a new ESC, and Motor before I even had my Spartan in my hands.

Point being- have fun with the hobby and expect losses, just take the losses with a smile, because there is always tomorrow.

Quick Reply