Oct 26, 2003, 05:29 PM
Thread OP

Elmer's Ultimate Glue

Has anyone tried Elmers Ultimate Glue??

I did not know that this glue required water to set. Is it too late now or can I put water on the glue joint?? This is my first try at bulding a foamie.

Any help on this matter would be great.

Thank you,
MJR
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2003, 05:41 PM
Chemically Corrected
Water is not required, it just makes it kick faster and foam up more. Go ahead and splash some on. With foam, I usually wet both sides, apply some glue and mate the two pieces. Then pull them apart and wipe off some of the excess glue rejoin and tape them together until it sets. After awhile you will get a good feel for how much glue to use to keep the amount of razor blade work to a minimum.
Last edited by Grapeape; Oct 26, 2003 at 05:49 PM.
Oct 26, 2003, 05:41 PM

ELmer's Ultimate Glue

I havn't heard of this stuff but I bet if it's a polyurethane type that humidity and patience will do the job. If it's warm and humid where you are, maybe just leave it. If not, maybe seal it in a garbage bag with a wet rag for the humidity and wait a long time? I'm assuming your project is foam.
Oct 26, 2003, 05:49 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info guys. I thought my first atempt was a failure berore it started.

I am making the Geobat that is featured on another thread. Know anywhere that i can get some cheap radio gear to put in it?

MJR
Oct 26, 2003, 07:36 PM
EDF rules... :)
I am using this glue on my 757 and inside the house with the aironditioner on it takes a while to set and only foams very little, the glue joints seem to be pretty strong after 24 hours. When letting in a little moisture it takes about 6 hours and foams a lot. Like another post stated it helps to wipe the joint after it starts to foam.

Cheers,

Eric B.
Oct 27, 2003, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
I checked on my Geobat this morning and all is well. It looks like the water I splashed on did the trick.

Thanks,

MJR
Oct 27, 2003, 08:30 PM
Here is what the glue looks like on my 757 frame.

Cheers,

Eric B.
Oct 27, 2003, 09:36 PM
Space Coast USA
Room humidity is enough to cause the glue to set. You don't have to add water tho it does speed the setting process and the more water the more it foams. I only add water if the joint is loose and foaming is needed to fill the spaces.

The MOST important rule is to cover the exterior part of the joint with masking tape so it doesn't foam all over your plane. It's hard to get off after it has cured so the masking tape keeps it in the joint.

hoppy
Oct 27, 2003, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Does the glue have to be on the sids of the joint or just where the two pieces meet. I have to learn that more is not always better. I put a bead down both sides of th joint like caulk. I'm guessing this was not needed?
Oct 27, 2003, 11:09 PM
I blotted the glue on with Q-tips, it seemed to put down just enough to fowm just 1/32 thick. The first joint I did was to make a test piece and used a Q-tip to apply it had a little more than necessary got a little more foam from it.

Very strong and your right it will not come off once cured.

Cheers,

Eric B.
Dec 28, 2003, 08:14 PM
ProBro

the "Ultimate Glue" for foam

One word about this glue..... WOW

Wish this was around back in the E-zone TM squadron hayday!!
Talk about a great way to glue foam!!

It can be removed once fully cured, just takes a steady hand and a few razor blades.

Not much faster than GWS's glue but sure makes for a much stronger joint.

Lynn
Jun 30, 2006, 11:12 AM

ultimate glue

i know it says its water proof..any idea about using to build an rc wooden boat
thanks Ray
Jun 30, 2006, 11:17 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Isn't this stuff the same thing as Gorrilla Glue? I've used GG on my Miss Hanger One hydro and it works great. I use a syringe that I got at my LHS to apply just a tiny bead down otherwise it will foam up way to much if you spray it with water.
Jun 30, 2006, 01:02 PM
It sounds like Gorilla Glue, a polyurethane glue. What I do is mix in a little water, then it really foams up and sets faster. The pieces need to be securely held in place so the foaming doesn't move them out of position. I accidentally found out Gorilla glue will set up under water.

..................Moose.....................
Jun 30, 2006, 01:12 PM
ProBro
Yes, it's a Poly glue, like GG, and once fully cured it's very very durable!
It takes a bit to clean up the mess so be careful when using it.

Once it's cured just use a razor blade to trim off the excess that foams out of the joint then hit it with some 120 to 240 grit to finish it off and have a nice neat seam.

It works great on wood, but if your going to stain the wood and clear coat it I'd try something else, it does not take stain worth a dang..

Quick Reply