Just fly...
Stobel V3

Jun
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2012, 10:51 PM
usaf3kteam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIli
Congratulation to the winners. I tried to find what I am going to ask in the thread but couldn't.
Just wanted to know what planes were used by the top 10.
Jun Stobels 1
Mike Smith Concepts 2
George Concepts 3
Mike Sied Polaris 4
Mike Mauer Polaris 5
Gary J Concepts 6 the rest not sure will try
Jim Helios
Bruce D Polaris
Charlie Concepts
Jim H Stobels
Jon Finch Polaris/Concept
Sep 05, 2012, 10:57 PM
Super cool, thanks a lot.
Sep 06, 2012, 12:39 AM
what's the motor for?
Congratulations to Jun, Mike, George and Alex, Alex, Jason - I know you will represent us well. And Congratulations to everyone that attended the TS.

Nice flying by Mike S and Mike M also, I was watching you guys closely the entire weekend.

fd3
Sep 06, 2012, 12:46 AM
Must Luv DLG
Join us next time Frank for the TS. We need you.

How about doing battle at the next Nationals in Muncie? I'll buy all the beer that you can guzzle, but you've got to trounce me to earn it.
Sep 06, 2012, 01:10 AM
what's the motor for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch-1
Join us next time Frank for the TS. We need you.

How about doing battle at the next Nationals in Muncie? I'll buy all the beer that you can guzzle, but you've got to trounce me to earn it.
2013 NATs and the next TS are on my list so it's a deal Dave, but you'll have to work with me on the part where I trounce you
Last edited by Falco peregrinus; Sep 06, 2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: ...
Sep 06, 2012, 06:54 AM
hot air rises...
2012 USA F3K Team Selects (15 min 26 sec)

Sorry, I've got nothing of Jun since I was on the field with him whenever he flew...
Sep 06, 2012, 08:03 AM
Jeff Carr
Great video. Kinda makes you feel like you were there...... Not really but I envy all of you.

Congrats once again Jun Mike and George

Jeff
Sep 06, 2012, 08:42 AM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Great video Finchy!
Sep 06, 2012, 10:30 AM
usaf3kteam
Thanks Finch and great flying. cheers
Sep 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
hot air rises...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats
Juhn Catachachuhunnn
Dude! I really wanted to meet that guy... he was flying GREAT all weekend.

Yup, that was a great contest.
Sep 06, 2012, 12:33 PM
A different attitude to RC
It sure was a great contest - and Finch always makes excellent videos to help show it was not just a dream.
Sep 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD

Where to begin???

First, I need to express my condolences to Dick Proseus and his family for his loss. Talking to him on Friday, he mentioned that she was nearing the end of her life journey, and it could be any day, or next month or???. I am very sorry again Dick, but as you mentioned, her life was a long and full one. Thanks for coming out in light of what was going on back home. My kindest regards to you and your family.

To reiterate my first post, thanks a ton to the RMSA crew. Dave Jensen, and superstar wife Rita, Gary Jensen, and superstar family, daughter Kelsey, and wife (didn’t get her name, sorry), John Lovins and family, Dave Runyon, John and Denise Jonke (I have to apologize for calling you Gail for at least half the contest )

Huge thanks to Sean Porter for his support and flawless execution of the duties of timer/caller. We never had much of a hiccup the whole contest. Thanks again Sean.

Thanks too to our official timers, Proppy John, Bob, and Cody.

Thank you to all that sponsored the TS. Skipmillermodels, Atlanta Hobbies, Tom Siler, and SUSA …not sure if there were more, so please forgive me.
The timing system and the clocks were first class. Nice work Adrian and Adam. All together, this team did a fantastic job of organizing and running the 2013 US F3K Team Selection contest. Thanks so much for stepping up and pulling off a really great contest.

Memorable moments:

My personal highlights include a rather sour note. On the last day, on what turned out to be the last round of the contest, I reached back for the best launch I could get. As I accelerated the CX3 through the last half of the spin, and released, I heard the sickening crunch of a pristine molded wing being instantly destroyed, and after release I was treated to the sad wounded duck arching over toward its back up within the pilots box, and without hitting anyone. Tip strike! My first ever. Its true, you the thrower cannot feel the tip actually hit the ground. You only feel the wing fold as if it was completely structural from the aero forces or ??? I quickly grabbed the back up model, did the DX18 quick model select dance, and launched with about 20 seconds to go until that 9 minute window mark. As I launched the X2, I heard the tip zip through the grass. Mowed grass, 3 inches tall!!! Time to adjust back to my old style of launch. On this flight, I had a rather short launch, was out of synch with the group, and out of breath from the short hustle. Heading out north over the plowed field I was sinking steadily and fast and I had the thought that this might actually be the round that loses the contest for me. So I focused on the glider, and the fact that a thermal had not been born from this area in a little while, so one was due. At about 25’ I got the love. A small, but definite thermal lifted the X2, and while it didn’t climb fast, it did climb and I got the 3. The other 2 flights were relatively uneventful, and though I lost a beautiful X3 wing, I won the round. Phew!

My second notable highlight was my 5x2’s in round 13. Up to that point, my best drop had been 7 seconds for this task, and it seemed like even though I practice the turnarounds quite a bit, I could not break through to 6. This time, the turnarounds were all as clean as I could do them and the catches were right at the 2:00 mark even though I was mentally shooting for 1:59. I remember after the 3rd catch and relight that it seemed like I was consistently late on the 1:59, but didn’t know if the clock would show 2:00 or 1:59. My plan has always been to shoot for 1:59, but if you do get 1:59.9, it really hurts you in the end. You have to catch at 1:59.1 or 1:59.3 so that the available window time doesn’t disappear on the last flight. Looking back, this was all the difference, since my turnarounds left me with a 1:55 in the window, and I only carded one 1:59. A personal best for me there.

My observations and notes to self:

• Roland’s Concepts are fantastic gliders. Thank you Roland for all of your support and for your continued efforts to keep the Concept line at the top of the standings.
• IMAC flyers know how to fit 1.5 meter wings through small gaps between tents
• Bring ¼ inch drill and Philips screw driver into the porta-jon to prevent any Smurf attempts
• Bring duct tape just in case there are strategically placed holes in said porta-jon
• Never, ever tell Gavin that you are going to the porta-jon
• Some of the best people I have ever met fly DLG’s
• No more tips for Finch and Maurer – You guys are GOOD!
• One day I will get to see Donnie sing “Kiss” by Prince on the Karaoke stage.
• Don’t turn your back to Slim Dirty if there is anything left in your Margarita
• Donnie can throw the beejeezes out of his Polaris, so hanging with him in the no-lift rounds really kinda sucks
• VLC’s are VC (Very Cool)
• I launched as high as Jun…..at least once 
• Poker still really, really sucks
• Skip really knows how to put the hurt on the group. Nice flying Skip.
• If Charlie is below 17th place, watch out. Its right where he wants to be…one more drop and things might have been different.
• Gator wrestling is FAKE! For that matter so are all the REALITY shows… FAKE FAKE FAKE! Right Ryan?
• Shipping models ahead of time is sweet, and having a buddy bring it home for you is even sweeter. Thanks Jun.
Thanks again to everyone for such a great event, and such a high level of competition. Every round counted, and that is the way it should be.

‘Till next time,

Mike
Sep 06, 2012, 06:09 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Team USA is going to kick butt at the Worlds.
Sep 06, 2012, 09:47 PM
Just fly...
Dave Jensen,

Thanks for CD'ing the TS. Great job.

Soar!
Jun

Quick Reply