Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by nickh22
Question

3.7v 800mah lith ion cell phone battery

Do you think it would be possible to use a standard long life 3.7v from a cell phone to power a wl v911?
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
More than likely it would NOT provide nearly enough current to run the motor....
800mA....less than ONE AMP!!!
Worth a try....doubt you'll harm anything.....but doubt you'll fly very far!!
Good Luck!
Keep in mind a ~250mA 3.7v Li-Po with a 25C rating....will put out several amps of DISCHARGE current....the Li-Io has a current CAPACITY of 800mA -- not intended for devices that draw lots of current.....
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Rocket Programmer
800mAh is the capacity, not the discharge rating... if it's a 25C battery, then it's fine... but you don't typically know the C-rating of consumer-style batteries, and it's probably best not to risk it.

PLEASE - pay attention to what UNITS you use when you talk about this stuff.

DO NOT mix up mAh (milli-amp hours, a unit of capacity) with mA (milli-amps, a unit of discharge rate). Keep in mind how this works out - when you multiply a rate by a time unit, you get a scalar value. (30mph times 2 hours equals 60 miles) - SO... milli-amps (a rate) times hours (a time) equals Coulombs of charge, meaning milli-amp-hours is a specific number of electrons. Anything to help it make sense - most people do not understand that amps means coulombs per second, a rate.

There's a lot of confusion on these forums about units. If this battery is labeled 800mAh, that's the capacity, not the discharge rating.

A 250 mAh 25C battery has a max discharge of 6.25 amps. If the 800mAh battery is also 25C then it could push 20 amps.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
WOS
Find More Posts by WOS
WOS
I seriously doubt if a cell phone battery has any kind of discharge rate worth a crap.
more than likely you will hook it up, it will over heat and if like the old lipos of the past it will explode
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by Username>
Suspended Account
The V911 wont lift with the weight of that cell, if it could it would work fine.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
WOS
Find More Posts by WOS
WOS
Am I to take it the heli in question is a really small heli?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Rocket Programmer
Yeah it's a micro heli...
HeliPal.com - WL V911 Micro Helicopter Test Flight (4 min 15 sec)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOS View Post
Am I to take it the heli in question is a really small heli?
Yeah they're about 6in long and weigh a fair bit less than my other sub micro birds.

They're not actually bad for a cheap model.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
WOS
Find More Posts by WOS
WOS
Yep, thats small and now I understand.
Helipal, is where i get my storm 450 parts from
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:49 PM

any suggestions?

I want a battery capable of more than 5 min of flight time. the 120mAh lipo that is it has aren't bad but I do want longer flight time. I am also interested in know which main motor is better, trex 100, or solo pro? I am wanting to upgrade my v911 and it can use almost every part from a trex 100 or solo pro. I know that the stock motor has to be cheap for this thing. By the way, pick one of these birds up if you have $29. Nice transmitter comes with it. The transmitter will work on a couple of other helis as well.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
Are these your birds? If so I love the misprint on the canopy. does the box at least spell it with a p? Mine isn't a misprint model. I agree with you, they are not bad for under 30 bucks with transmitter. Considering all the parts it can take from other brands it is pretty amazing. I also got forward flight in a 5mph headwind!!! Not very fast forward, but it did move lol. I have seen one with mods cut 19mph winds like they were nothing.
"Remember, Helicopters don't fly. They beat the air into submission."
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickh22 View Post
Are these your birds? If so I love the misprint on the canopy. does the box at least spell it with a p? Mine isn't a misprint model. I agree with you, they are not bad for under 30 bucks with transmitter. Considering all the parts it can take from other brands it is pretty amazing. I also got forward flight in a 5mph headwind!!! Not very fast forward, but it did move lol. I have seen one with mods cut 19mph winds like they were nothing.
"Remember, Helicopters don't fly. They beat the air into submission."
Yeah, they're mine, but I only own one now as I gave the other to my Brother.

I tried it outside in a 4-6 mph breeze once and it kited around significantly worse than any other of my FP heli's including a coax believe it or not. It just wasn't any fun at all for me and got blown about.

Since then I've just shelved it as I can't be bothered modifying it. It is a great indoor heli for beginners though.