Sep 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Oh cool...take your time and plan ahead!I upgraded the 3 motor wires to 12g silicon that way I had enough wire to run any power I wanted.The jet will never be a speed demon but it does great with alot of raw thrust,I would go with high blade fan for that and have the nice whoosh sound.Do it once,spend a little extra money on quality motor/ESC and at least an aluminum fan housing to get rid of heat and you will be good to go for a long time, little extra weight does not hurt how this jet flies....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2012, 02:00 AM
Team White Llama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Great minds think alike.

BTW, my Habu 2 airframe only kit is due here tomorrow. Next I will have to figure out a good setup.
make it a ripper Bill! Arc 28-47-1 and 4S 4000mah
Sep 19, 2012, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Oh cool...take your time and plan ahead!I upgraded the 3 motor wires to 12g silicon that way I had enough wire to run any power I wanted.The jet will never be a speed demon but it does great with alot of raw thrust,I would go with high blade fan for that and have the nice whoosh sound.Do it once,spend a little extra money on quality motor/ESC and at least an aluminum fan housing to get rid of heat and you will be good to go for a long time, little extra weight does not hurt how this jet flies....
This time I will probably buy a Castle ICE 100 even though I have a couple of Hobbywing 80 amp ESCs in my spares drawer. I know you are a fan of EFFLUX RC and his gear is good but seems a bit pricey to me. I do like the idea of a 10 blade sound (swoosh vs. hair dryer). ChangeSun fans are inexpensive but what kind of reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
make it a ripper Bill! Arc 28-47-1 and 4S 4000mah
Pete,
Which fan would you suggest? If so what kind of watts and thrust?
EDIT:Found your winter flying video -- Here is my composite HET Super Sniper with 1400 watts. AUW is 2 pounds 10 ounces, thrust is 3 pounds 8 ounces. Setup is HET 6904 fan, Ice lite 100, 4S XPS 3200 30C, and ARC 28-47-1 motor. Dopplered the third pass at 150mph

Do yu equate the Super Sniper with the Habu? I would think not. The foam Habus are pretty draggy.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 19, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Sep 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
I understand on the fans,but at least get an aluminum housing,for heat sake.
Dont know about change sunfans,that huge thread has plus/minuses..hard to say on that,blowing a blade off can bend a motor shaft ya know...If you keep it at rated power though I think they are ok.Keep us updated as ya go please...
Sep 19, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
I understand on the fans,but at least get an aluminum housing,for heat sake.
Dont know about change sunfans,that huge thread has plus/minuses..hard to say on that,blowing a blade off can bend a motor shaft ya know...If you keep it at rated power though I think they are ok.Keep us updated as ya go please...
I will. I am still planning and pondering. The HET 6904 fans come balanced. A heat sink on a inrunner will help with cooling. I believe the ChangeSun's are limited to 42000 RPM. Decisions, decisions.

The unpainted airframe arrived today. Gotta like Horizon. It's so complete. I will take pictures later.
Sep 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
HET of course like Wemos are great fans...but I am hooked on whoosh!!!
Sep 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
Team White Llama!
Quote:
This time I will probably buy a Castle ICE 100 even though I have a couple of Hobbywing 80 amp ESCs in my spares drawer. I know you are a fan of EFFLUX RC and his gear is good but seems a bit pricey to me. I do like the idea of a 10 blade sound (swoosh vs. hair dryer). ChangeSun fans are inexpensive but what kind of reliability?

Pete,
Which fan would you suggest? If so what kind of watts and thrust?
EDIT:Found your winter flying video -- Here is my composite HET Super Sniper with 1400 watts. AUW is 2 pounds 10 ounces, thrust is 3 pounds 8 ounces. Setup is HET 6904 fan, Ice lite 100, 4S XPS 3200 30C, and ARC 28-47-1 motor. Dopplered the third pass at 150mph

Do yu equate the Super Sniper with the Habu? I would think not. The foam Habus are pretty draggy.

Bill
The wemotech fan would pull a little less watts. The habu is definitely draggy, much more so than the sniper.

With an ARC28-47-1, wemo, and 4S 4000ish batteries, it would have unlimited vertical, and do over 100mph at full bore. looking at around 3-3.5 pounds of thrust installed. Use an thrust tube to regain a little of that thrust (the stock foam tube is to draggy). Leave your exit at about 95% of FSA, so you can keep more thrust (don't need much efflux with a draggy frame like the habu).
Sep 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
We also stock HET and Wemo fans, as well as the Skyworld housings. (the early style with the inlet lip is best for foamy jets)

Pricey? among the lowest for the Mini/Midi fan pros. and inline with everyone else (or lower) on other products.

Change Sun? not if you want faaast.

Look at those running super cheap motors. Burning them up left and right.
Where's the savings ?

Pete,
I remember your Sniper.
I was the one who dopplered it for ya. 150 downwind. 100 maybe on 4s in the Habu 2. I dopplered Lucky's 5s Habu at 117-118 on 5s, The fan was the Mach 70, but a HET or wemo would get ya prob 115.
My Habu2 now has flaps and retracts. I'm about ready to put a faster setup in it. Probably the HET 1W-40 on 6s in a Wemo or HET 6904. Just gotta put one together, and get some numbers on it.
Last edited by efflux RC; Sep 20, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added text
Sep 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
The wemotech fan would pull a little less watts. The habu is definitely draggy, much more so than the sniper.

With an ARC28-47-1, wemo, and 4S 4000ish batteries, it would have unlimited vertical, and do over 100mph at full bore. looking at around 3-3.5 pounds of thrust installed. Use an thrust tube to regain a little of that thrust (the stock foam tube is to draggy). Leave your exit at about 95% of FSA, so you can keep more thrust (don't need much efflux with a draggy frame like the habu).
I have a couple of new in the box HET 6904 fans sitting in my spares box so it would be good to use one of them.
Sep 20, 2012, 07:11 PM

Tip for removing the molding "flowers" in the foam

I thought I would pass this tip on to those of you who have tried to remove the molding flowers in the foam. I use a painter's nib file to take them off. The fine version is best.Obviously, once opened from the package the file should be kept protected to prevent dulling the file. Painter's nib files are used by painters to knock off the the little dirt specks in the paint surface of auto paint job.

Eastwood Company sells them for about $18. Here is the link:
http://www.eastwood.com/painters-nib-file-fine.html
Sep 20, 2012, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
We also stock HET and Wemo fans, as well as the Skyworld housings. (the early style with the inlet lip is best for foamy jets)

Pricey? among the lowest for the Mini/Midi fan pros. and inline with everyone else (or lower) on other products.

Change Sun? not if you want faaast.

Look at those running super cheap motors. Burning them up left and right.
Where's the savings ?

Gary,

Have you run the Velocity High Performance Motor V28-60-3200 with a HET 6904? If so, how many cells? Watts, Amps?
Sep 20, 2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Gary,

Have you run the Velocity High Performance Motor V28-60-3200 with a HET 6904? If so, how many cells? Watts, Amps?
The Velocity 3200 kv motor we ran on 5s was about 3 years ago. (one of our first videos)
In this video it's about 1500w @ 105A in a WM400 fan, on 5s. A bit higher loaded rotor, similar to the 6904.

The "full house", 4 1/2 lb SAPAC L-39 was radared at 115mph during another flight.

efflux RC....L-39 demo flight.wmv (7 min 31 sec)
Last edited by efflux RC; Sep 20, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Sep 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
I doubt anyones really going to push this jet above the 120-130mph, it is just to draggy,but at the same time that is not what it was made for. It is a predictable jet with no bad habits and can take extra weight and still perform great.
My fan is overkill but its what I had laying around and I figured if something bad happened to jet, the fan surrounded by foam would survive.Taking off in 50-75 feet from rough grass is still nice though too....
Sep 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
The Velocity 3200 kv motor we ran on 5s was about 3 years ago. (one of our first videos)
In this video it's about 1500w @ 105A in a WM400 fan, on 5s. A bit higher loaded rotor, similar to the 6904.

The "full house", 4 1/2 lb SAPAC L-39 was radared at 115mph during another flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9s45eGogA
Cool flight video (as usual).

So, the HET 6904 will draw how many amps? I need to know to consider right sizing a ESC.
Sep 20, 2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks, it's an oldie.

Can't say for sure, as I haven't ran it that fan on 5s, on the bench or in the jet.
My guess is that you'l be around 105A at WOT in the jet. (similar to the L-39)
The CC ICE 100 has tons of head room. It should be fine. Always make sure it has airlfow.
Latest blog entry: Updated blog - Oct 2017

Quick Reply